Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

Salem, I think you really mean it! Thanks for the nice comments and continuing interest.

What is needed now is some real news from the Cooks. Believe it or not I'm not a Cook Islands Pearls PR agent (in any case they would prefer to see exposure for the blacks), but will pass along anything learned of interest—even if it must be under 'Cultured Pearls'!

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
Haven't posted in a while, but continue to enjoy everyone's contributions.

A little thread revival here, as we will return to the Cooks next week for the first time since my 'pearl epiphany' and will be bringing the subject of this thread, Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani, back to its creator for a complementary restringing. As the necklace was not preconceived, rather created organically until all the remaining, matching 3-3.5mm poe pipi from the Bergman family stash were depleted, a total carat weight was never obtained.

I've noticed a penchant for guessing games on another forum thread recently. Anyone care to guess the weight of 1700 drilled, semi-round and semi-baroque poe pipi, 3-3.5mm? Answer by mid-October!

Hi Steve,

You and Almudena have a wonderful visit, and we look forward to a detailed report, hopefully with photos!

It was great fun revisiting this whole thread, especially since I was able to view all these beautiful pearls in person. The important pieces are so gorgeous, yet the pipi shell pendant is extraordinarily delicate and precious.
I will mediate deeply before guessing the weight!

?we look forward to a detailed report, hopefully with photos!

I will meditate deeply before guessing the weight!
Will plan one day out of 7 looking in the stores, maybe pay a quick visit to the Cook Islands Pearl Authority. Then have business with an old client in Wellington, NZ and will take advantage to see our friends New Zealand Natural Pearls before returning. Will post!

Pearl meditation: I think you may have hit on something there?

Valeria101: Not too anxious to register on that site, what is their asking price? 7.1mm drop in pale gold would retail in the US$1200 range on Rarotonga, if found and authenticated. Not sure what the side drilling does to the value, however.

Another idyllic week in Rarotonga, now sitting in Auckland airport waiting for Wellington airport to open (150km winds today?quite a return to reality!). A couple of days of 'work' in Wellington before visiting our friends NZ Natural Pearls and a drive through North Island to catch our flight back from Auckland next week.

A few quick posts to recap our 'pearl' visit to Rarotonga, starting with some requisite tourism: Here our much-anticipated hike through the Rarotongan jungle with our friend Pa, world-famous shaman/herbalist,on his strenuous and very popular cross-island trek.

Attachments

• PaTrek.jpg
    PaTrek.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 72
While we saw many fine examples (and a stunning color range) of black pearls, our focus continues on the poe pipi as they become increasingly rare and expensive (especially over 4mm round). At Bergman&Sons the dwindling stocks have been further raided to create a 'baby' Te Poe, including a few larger pearls, as well as a multi-color graduated strand, both choker length. But the most outstanding pieces were 3 discs, topped by this one with a 9+mm button as centerpiece. We were offered this as a loose pearl for $5K, and HOW I WISH we had bitten. Nonetheless, a candidate as enhancer and centerpiece for Te Poe when worn clasp forward. Will be kicking around a few design options in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• BBNewPG.jpg
    BBNewPG.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76
These two photos are not scaled to each other. Here we see loose poe pipi from seeds to 4/5mm rounds to 6/7mm baroques, and rather old pricing, albeit helpful as reference. We chose the deep golden pearl on the lower right, round with discoloration imperfection on the bottom, but perfect to replace a lost pearl on my wife's favorite ring.

This selection of rings was very tempting, some old designs and quite a variety of applications for poe pipi, as well as blacks and mab

Attachments

• RTDisplayPG.jpg
    RTDisplayPG.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 86
While delaying deliberations on major purchases until after our return, we satisfied the shopping urge with these two pendants. The round 3-5mm champagne naturals with diamonds are on 18KYG with attached chain. The 19 deep gold round 3mm poe pipi surround a wildly colorful black fire opal, on 14KYG.

Regarding the Cook Islands pearling industry, most locals have diminished optimism regarding export viability as Cook Islands marketing is uncoordinated at best and production continues to dwindle on Manihiki, now providing just-adequate quantities to supply the local retail trade. Definitely a wait-and-see situation.

But there is absolutely NO question about the physical and spiritual benefits of a peaceful week in this beautiful part of the world!

Attachments

• BootyPG.jpg
    BootyPG.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 78
Anyone care to guess the weight of 1700 drilled, semi-round and semi-baroque poe pipi, 3-3.5mm? Answer by mid-October!
No more takers it seems. Preliminary calculation upon restringing for the total drilled weight of the poe pipi in 'Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani' is 510 carats.

Steve, what a wonderful trip you're on! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your finds. You and your lovely wife have exquisite taste. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes of your acquisitions.

Have Fun with New Zealand Natural Pearls! ;)
Blaire

Steve, meant to guess the weight, but it slipped my mind, sorry--------thanks as always for sharing your amazing trip(s) and even more fabulous pearls!

Hi Steve,
What a great report. Thank you for the pictures as well - lovely colors on the pearls. I am waiting on pins and needles to see what you decide upon on your return trip!
John

Hello Steve -

Thank you for the posts and photos. Those champagne naturals are beautiful and displayed to advantage in that pendant. I am amazed you got past the tray of rings! Some really tantalizing ones on display.

It's too bad that the Manihiki marketing efforts are so hampered - the pearls I have seen are really lovely.

I am amazed you got past the tray of rings!

It's too bad that the Manihiki marketing efforts are so hampered - the pearls I have seen are really lovely.
Coming home with good photos?the shopping isn't done!! Re Manihiki, a period of decreased activity will be good for the health of the lagoon and will allow the market to settle a bit. Undersupply rather than oversupply is not so bad for image and pricing, either. So it's not all bleak.

In a wonderful part of New Zealand today (Taranaki) and will be working on a new thread featuring our just-completed visit to Moana Pearls (NZ Natural Pearls) over the next few days.

Coming home with good photos?the shopping isn't done!! Re Manihiki, a period of decreased activity will be good for the health of the lagoon and will allow the market to settle a bit. Undersupply rather than oversupply is not so bad for image and pricing, either. So it's not all bleak.

In a wonderful part of New Zealand today (Taranaki) and will be working on a new thread featuring our just-completed visit to Moana Pearls (NZ Natural Pearls) over the next few days.

Good perspective on the health of the lagoon. Thank you.

Very much looking forward to the rest of your reporting from your trip - especially NZ Natural Pearls! Your travels and collecting bring wonderful information to us.

This post brings us full circle to the most momentous pearl purchase we've ever made. The natural and keshi 18KYG ring in the upper left below represents our first discovery of poe pipi, and our first purchase. We were informed about natural pearls vs. black and admired the pearl's and the ring's simplicity and perfection. But we stood outside taking pictures of rainbows for about 30 minutes before deciding to acquire it. Later that same afternoon, we walked into Te Poe.

The ring immediately became my wife's favorite, the most complementary piece of jewelry she's ever had on her hand. But it was not the best benchwork, as the pearl went missing within a few months, later found in the bottom of a briefcase where she had reached for something with her ring hand. So it was triumphantly re-glued. Weeks later, the pearl went missing again—this time irretrievably—in the streets of Old Madrid!

Ben Bergman took pity on us and found a fairly nice pearl to replace it (bottom left, sorry for low quality photo), but it was about .5mm smaller, and not nearly as gold or lustrous, and ring was not worn.

Now to my recent post following our most recent visit to Rarotonga, where we spied a loose pearl that I thought would be perfect for the ring. Problem: We hadn't brought the ring with us and the seller didn't have a functioning caliper, so I was forced to guess. (In any case, a very nice pearl and we'd certainly find something to do with it.)

The new pearl, fully 6.0mm, nearly round and the finest deep gold, has now been installed, with a longer peg and the proper glue (keshis reglued as well). Unbelievably, considering these are natural pearls of increasing rarity, we have not only found a perfect replacement, but the pearl is actually a bit larger and bit more intense than the original.
(Important note: photo is of my fat little finger, not my wife's delicate digits!)

If knowledge and experience gained here at Pearl-Guide has served for anything, it could not have been more useful than in this successful outcome!

Attachments

• PipiRing(Story).jpg
    PipiRing(Story).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
That's like the harvest moon against the night sky!! Just Wonderful!! As always, thanks for sharing the wonderful experience and photos------

Re Pinctada Maculata

Re Pinctada Maculata

Re Pinctada Maculata - I purchased some from a display stand on someones lawn in Rarotonga in the 1980s. All I knew was they were from a source close to the equator, were from deep water, came from a very small shell and were natural pearls. It has taken me from that time until yesterday to find Penrhyn Island via Earth Google and digging deeper searching for natural pearls, that the name pinctada maculata popped up. I am so thrilled to find Pearl-Guide.com. None of the Australian pearl experts (Broome and Melbourne) knew what these tiny pearls were and now I know! Eureka. I designed a ring in the 80's which is very special to me. Steve's purchase of Te Poe Pipi O Te Kuki Airani is so fantastic. I know that when I bought mine, I was told it could take 30 years to compile enough of the larger size one I have into a choker size necklace. The ring has a central large cream pearl 5.5 mm, 4 varying shades gold & pink/gold 3-4 mm on each corner, 4 smaller pearls inbetween the corner pearls in pink, grey, silver & brown/gold with 4 tiny diamonds to give it a sparkle - still terrific 20+ years on.

Last edited:
Welcome Jan! Stick around and have some pearl fun. ;) Those Pipi pearls are just lovely. You should see Steve's "tie tack". I'm not sure which thread it is in, but it has Pipis and abalone pearls. <sigh>

Back