Pinctada Maculata (Pipi) Pearls

smetzler said:
I anticipate very good things from Jeremy's art department at Pearl Paradise late next month.

!!? ... professional pictures, you mean... or more?

smetzler said:
Since Ben's photograher is in Auckland and as Ben will come directly to Seattle with Poe Io on Sunday, a proper studio photo must wait. But Jeremy has kindly offered to put Pearl Paradise's art department at our disposal for a shoot when we visit LA in late June.

I'll be in LA end of June on wine business and scheduled a visit to Pearl Paradise's showroom, having missed a similar opportunity earlier this month. Jeremy's offer was greatly appreciated, PP photography is as good as I've seen on-line.

Nothing further anticipated, except perhaps for a shot of Te Poe and Poe Io together?

(Just on our way to the airport to meet Poe Io!)

Steve
Seattle

Oh, I would definately go for a shot of the two together. What a wonderful comparison in style they would make.

I'll be patient, I promise. As long as it is coming, I'll be good.:eek:

smetzler said:
Took my out-of-touch brain an additional day to catch up with 'blingy'', which I deduce to be 'sparkly to the point of ostentation' (still working on RAD?Radical?). But it's a good point. Our considerations for an alter ego to Te Poe involved more than pearl size/rarity, as upon receipt Te Poe quickly demonstrated a desire to be worn during the day (natural light?preferably outdoors), and we needed a companion for evening/indoor/formal wear. I think we got it!

Steve
Seattle

Hi Steve,

Yup, radical=rad. Meaning unconventional. Which I like very much. As for the "bling"---"slightly blingy" means it has just the right amount of sparkle. Now something like the natural pearl multi-strand reworked historical patchwork of a necklace someone posted a while ago would be in the "bling-bling" or "big bling" category---so sparkly, it is hideously ostentatious.

Everything needs a little bling in just the right amount, otherwise, it risks ending up too boring.

So if I was avoiding the slang, I would would say that I like your necklace because it is different, yet has just the right amount of eye catching sparkle. Yes, I think you got it !

Slraep

Much appreciate the lay terms, and the nice comments!

Poe Io was received warmly at its 'coming out party' yesterday here in Seattle during a lunch presentation by its jeweller, Ben Bergman.

Steve
Seattle

Ben Bergman has departed Seattle for the Cooks today. It was especially gratifying hearing firsthand and in detail about the storybook efforts of his parents Mike and Marjorie, who in 1976 left professional careers in Australia with two toddlers to live and work among the pearlers of Tongareva (Penrhyn) in the Cook Islands. Ben recalls childhood days on the reefs helping the divers collect P. Maculata by the bagful—undoubtedly pearls in Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani were among the bags he helped to fill.

As a new grading system and unsurpassed quality point Cook Islands' cultured black pearl industry on Manihiki towards increasing worldwide success, the poe pipi of Penrhyn/Tongareva come ever closer to irrelevancy—and oblivion.

This thread is dedicated to their preservation.

Steve
Seattle

Last edited:
A magnificent thread, and such a grand treat for us all to be a small part of it from conception to fruition. Pics from the debut are forthcoming?

Can't wait for the photos myself...
Such lucky guy to own such pipi pearls.....

OK, a couple of photos! Was hesitant to post as a light setting on my camera was wrong. These have been somewhat salvaged in Photoshop.

Photos:

—Ben fitting Poe Io on my wife Almudena.

—Pearl table with both Te Poe and Poe Io, along with a fabulous multi-strand Cook Island black keshi necklace, 18mm semi-baroque SS white necklace, rare golden SS buttons and other treasures Ben brought as 'show and tell', all carefully guarded by a carving of Tangaroa…

The Rainier Club served a super lunch and attendees included members of Seattle's professional, medical and legal communities and the Spanish consulate (nice Spanish wines, too, from our import company).

Hoping new photos of both poe pipi necklaces turn out well at the end of June, will post these early next month if so!

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• Ben.jpg
    Ben.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PearlTable.jpg
    PearlTable.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
WOW! I found them! Thank you so much! Wow, what a wonderful gathering! Looks like so much fun. So, uh, that's Ben, huh? She inquires sheepishly. I'm joking, he could be my son. :)

Thanks, yes it was a fun event!

Ben Bergman represents the future of Cook Islands pearling. He is among those working (along with Peter William, son of the legendary Manihiki pearler and diver Tekake William) on a critical new grading scale for Cook Islands black pearls.

This thread has rekindled Ben's childhood memories and a due regard for the hard work and sacrifice of his parents on remote Penrhyn Island in the 1970s.

Steve
Seattle

smetzler said:
Salem,

We will get that shot for you?a little patience, please! I anticipate very good things from Jeremy's art department at Pearl Paradise late next month.

My visit to 'Paradise' was a memorable experience, a culmination of my weeks and months here at Pearl-Guide. Jeremy and his entire staff were perfect hosts, and it was a privilege to see the treasures on hand and the efficiency of their operation. As I was not carrying a digital camera that day, only this week we received photos, including the attached of Jeremy and Mia Mesa (PP operations) preparing Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani for the camera.

I'll post the results in two following posts.

These posts cap a shared experience. The afterglow of our visit to the Cook Islands last year continues, my resulting 'discovery' of pearls a treasured result. Thanks to all on Pearl-Guide for joining me on my (quite public) voyage.

In the coming months we will be trying to determine once and for all if pearling and poe pipi commercialization on Penrhyn Island can be revived, and any news will assuredly appear here first.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• Mia:Jeremy.jpg
    Mia:Jeremy.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 75
Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani and Poe Io Mata Nui, composite of individual and paired shots. Photography by Mia Mesa, Pearl Paradise.

Attachments

• PPComposite.jpg
    PPComposite.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
In Mia's hands it appears to be a much more substantial piece than I originally thought. I realize her hands are demure, but still ...

Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani, photo by Mia Mesa, Pearl Paradise. Finally, we got the color…

Re size: The piece was organically produced one strand at a time as the effect multiplied (and until the pearls were gone!), and no one thought to get the total carat weight until it was finished.

Steve
Seattle

Attachments

• TePoe-8.jpg
    TePoe-8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I love the gentle cascade from the necklace to the drop on Poe Io Mata Nui . That's what takes the piece into extraordinary. Just beautiful.

They both are very beautiful. Each piece has its own beautiful character. Any idea how many pearls are in the necklace? How many harvests does it represent?

Ingykiz said:
Any idea how many pearls are in the necklace? How many harvests does it represent?

It's been a long thread! A summary and update:

Te Poe O Te Kuki Airani contains 1700 fairly matched poe pipi 3-3.5mm collected by the Bergman family during their pearling residence on Penrhyn (Tongareva) atoll from 1976 through 1982. Thereafter, the p. maculata pearl harvest has been sporadic at best, while suffering deteriorating lagoon conditions and Cook Islands' focus upon cultured black pearl production on the island of Manihiki. Thankfully, this thread has caused some in the Cook Islands to reconsider whether a future without poe pipi would be in their best interests.

In his current cover article, editor Bo Torrey of Pearl World remembers his visit to the Cooks in the mid-90s as among his most charming pearl experiences ever, poe pipi forming a unique and integral part of that.

Steve
Seattle

The necklaces are both quite spectacular. Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us - it is quite a treat to see such rare and precious pearls!

Wow, smetzler, wow! It was well worth the wait! What stunning photos you got at Pearl Paradise...now I don't feel so bad about my nagging. heehee Thanks again also for the continued story. This trip has been fascinating to travel with you via Pearl-Guide. I know this thread must be doing a lot to revive interet in Cook Island pearls. I know it has gotten me to do several searches myslef, and I know I am far from alone. Good luck with your continued efforts!!

Back