365 Days of Pearls

Thanks, Katbran! This was a special PP had 2 years ago and a lot of people from PG bought them: Pearl Dreams, Cathykeshi, newberry to name a few. Luster and overtones are wonderful on these.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get a strand of these. They are gorgeous. But I had just bought my first blue baroque akoyas and I was a bit underwhelmed, and I thought the white ones would be the same. Of course, now I'm blue crazy.

Ok, you know I'm a newbie, right? What makes these baroque? They look pretty darned round and smooth to me, or is it my old eyes?

They don't have the smooth surface normally associated with akoya pearls. Since akoyas usually have a round bead in the center and a thin layer of nacre over the bead, akoya pearls are usually very, very smooth and very round. Anything the least bit ripply on the surface is going to count as baroque in the akoya world.

I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get a strand of these. They are gorgeous. But I had just bought my first blue baroque akoyas and I was a bit underwhelmed, and I thought the white ones would be the same. Of course, now I'm blue crazy.

You have the best collection of blues! And I do think it takes some experience with pearls to know when to buy and when to let something slip buy. Personally, even with experience there have been times that I didn't realize my mistake in not buying until others began posting their goodies.

Day 94:

36" Multicolor Keshi rope from Pearl Paradise. I bought this during a Black Friday sale a few years ago.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG 20160918 155230

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

Easter Egg Ts... They truly are eggs and very colorful like Easter eggs and huge too! I think we all need a strand like that!

You have the best collection of blues! And I do think it takes some experience with pearls to know when to buy and when to let something slip buy. Personally, even with experience there have been times that I didn't realize my mistake in not buying until others began posting their goodies.

This is so true. I still have trouble "reading" the vendor photos, especially with Tahitians. There have been sale strands that I thought were pretty, but nothing special, when I saw the glamour shots, but then they looked amazing in neck shots on PG and I was kicking myself for missing out! I think some pearls need to be against skin to come alive.

I love that rope of multicolor keshis -- so fresh and perfect for Spring!

They don't have the smooth surface normally associated with akoya pearls. Since akoyas usually have a round bead in the center and a thin layer of nacre over the bead, akoya pearls are usually very, very smooth and very round. Anything the least bit ripply on the surface is going to count as baroque in the akoya world.

Thank you for the info.. I always think of baroque as having a not-round shape. Still learning!

Back