365 Days of Pearls

Our first Ruckus, sigh ... so many deliriously happy memories! Sorry for the late "flip" ... we got to Virginia quite late last night, baby nurse's photos were gone, I got that data error message, and went to bed. Wait till you see these right side up ... INCREDIBLE pearls, Beautiful Flower :)

Cathy I didn't realize it was your first ruckus as well! Yes, it was SO much fun. I remember sitting outside the night of the party and chatting with you and Pattye, Red, Celeste and SunSeeker (SunSeeker?). Soft California breezes, piano tinkling in the background and miles of ocean to look at.

Thanks for flipping the photos!

BN, your Tahitian strand is beyond stunning! Such gorgeous colors and sharp luster!

Thanks SunSeeker. It is really a treasure.

Getting each piece out, looking at it, wearing it, photographing it and then pouring over which pictures to post has really helped me rediscover my pearls and reminds me why I fell in love with them in the first place. Lots of good memories with this one!

BN I love this Tahitian strand! It looks wonderful with the green sweater. I also remember you sending me pictures of it wearing navy blue and it was equally eye popping. Another strand for me to drool over. In a way I hope you don't get your computer fixed and our sweet Cathy has to turn your pictures :) because then I get to see double the pictures and although they might be upside down or sideways it never feels like a repeat ;)

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! Yes I remember sending you those pics. I happened to be wearing a navy blue tank top and was too excited to change. They did look great with the navy-- thank you!

How about some more pics? I took a ton and this is a special rope. Here you go... (and God bless Cathy-- more work on the way!)

Uh, oh lol ... putting down the iPad and firing up the laptop :)

WooHoo more pictures of that TDF strand. Cathy is one of my favorite people ;) she is a great picture flipper :)

50 inch strand of multicolor baroque tahitian pearls from Pearl Paradise

Colorful baroque Tahitians on wrist

Tahitian colors

Colorful baroque and circle Tahitian pearls from Pearl Paradise

Various Tahitian colors in the strand

Another pearl wrist shot

Contrasting Tahitian pearl colors

Tahitian pearl colorful strand

Tahitian colors

Tahitian pearls wrapped around wrist

ColorsDrops and circles

Tahitian pearl colors50-inch Tahitian strand doubled up

Paired with one set of earrings

Paired with another set
Light and dark Tahitian colors

Argh those Tahitians are breathetaking! The colours!!! Just gorgeous.w

Here is the pic Chenai had sent me.

The Tahitian pearl rope before it's knotted and finished

Should have posted this at the beginning.

Okay, fair disclosure ... I'm not sweet; I'm selfish; I just want to see these pearls again! I confess, I have no idea which way is correct on some of these; I just turned them till they looked pretty LOL.

Baby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side upBaby Nurse's Tahitian pearl strand photos turned right side up

And yes, baby nurse, my first ruckus too, and I remember that glorious ocean, and sitting on the balcony with you :) I also remember hounding, negotiating, luring ... er ... asking Walter if he wouldn't like to visit cousins in CA and oh, by the way ... lol. I also remember him pulling into that driveway, and having an absolute panic attack, asking myself what on earth possessed me to do such a thing, and begging him to take me back to the hotel! Walter, being the kind and sweet hubby that he is, leaned over, opened my door, GROWLED something along the lines of "If you think you dragged me all the way across the country to NOT get out of the car ..." ... ... there was more, but it's not for polite hearing LOL. I stumbled into the foyer, dazzled by sunlight on the ocean, and Newberry too me under her wing and suddenly BAS was there, and baby nurse, and Red and ... now I flip photos for self indulgent fun :) Love you all.

And yes, baby nurse, my first ruckus too, and I remember that glorious ocean, and sitting on the balcony with you :) I also remember hounding, negotiating, luring ... er ... asking Walter if he wouldn't like to visit cousins in CA and oh, by the way ... lol. I also remember him pulling into that driveway, and having an absolute panic attack, asking myself what on earth possessed me to do such a thing, and begging him to take me back to the hotel! Walter, being the kind and sweet hubby that he is, leaned over, opened my door, GROWLED something along the lines of "If you think you dragged me all the way across the country to NOT get out of the car ..." ... ... there was more, but it's not for polite hearing LOL. I stumbled into the foyer, dazzled by sunlight on the ocean, and Newberry too me under her wing and suddenly BAS was there, and baby nurse, and Red and ... now I flip photos for self indulgent fun :) Love you all.
I remember you standing there asking if you could join the ruckus, and Jeremy coming over and greeting you warmly and saying of course you were welcome, and how nervous you were. The ocean was amazing at that ruckus. I'd get up in the middle of the night and just listen to it. Ancient people thought it was a giant breathing and that is what it sounded like to me, with the soft, rhythmic waves. And, the mist in the morning, and how the pearls would show their overtones in that perfect dispersed lighting. Magical moments.

That was such a great weekend, so many happy memories. And I remember you working on your Tahitian projects (strand and bracelet?) in the vault.

Very interesting points re those who strive for symmetry vs those happy with a more freeform look. I enjoy both but find myself drawn more to symmetry these days than I used to be. But luster and overtones trump everything as far as I'm concerned.

I have noticed that there's more enthusiasm for my symmetrical pieces than the freeform ones so I'm tempted to conclude PGers prefer symmetry over freeform.

You have a wonderful collection Red. What's more important to you--shape? surface quality? luster? color? overtone?
Thank you, baby nurse. When I first discovered Chinese freshwater pearls, I thought here is a product that everyone can afford and wear. I bought lots of inexpensive strands, and started to string them myself, but discovered that I did not look good in the peachy tones that they generally had. So, I'd have to say that color trumps all. The most perfectly round, lustrous strand that looks horrible on me is pointless. I'm reading the new edition of Richard Wise's book, and he calls it "sympatico". A pearl strand that comes alive when you put it on, because the colors are meant for you. You have exceptional coloring for wearing pearls. They all look amazing on you. I find that I need to be so very careful. Most Tahitians look fine on me. Most Chinese fresh waters don't. After that I look for luster and eye catching shapes.

Your DH really is a darling!

Our first Ruckus, sigh ... so many deliriously happy memories! Sorry for the late "flip" ... we got to Virginia quite late last night, baby nurse's photos were gone, I got that data error message, and went to bed. Wait till you see these right side up ... INCREDIBLE pearls, Beautiful Flower :)

Cathy I didn't realize it was your first ruckus as well! Yes, it was SO much fun. I remember sitting outside the night of the party and chatting with you and Pattye, Red, Celeste and SunSeeker (SunSeeker?). Soft California breezes, piano tinkling in the background and miles of ocean to look at.

Thanks for flipping the photos!

Rup, I remember that night! It was such a pleasure to meet all of you in person for the first time and share our love of pearls!

Last edited:
BN was kind enough to send me information on color and skin tones recently and I looked at this topic extensively for me personally. Like you Red, I don't do peach, or a lot of pastels. BN looks great in these colors. After this study I am revisiting pink (deep pink) and purples. There was a recent article in the Wall Street Journal about pink being a hot color for spring and how a lot of career women had rejected this color as being too girly. I agree whole heartedly Red, that after color, LUSTER is important. Like Red I like interesting shapes too. Also a consideration for me is size because at my age, little pearls seem to disappear.

Some of the Chinese come in some beautiful deep colors and metallics and I am working on a strand now.

Back