365 Days of Pearls

I remember you standing there asking if you could join the ruckus, and Jeremy coming over and greeting you warmly and saying of course you were welcome, and how nervous you were. The ocean was amazing at that ruckus. I'd get up in the middle of the night and just listen to it. Ancient people thought it was a giant breathing and that is what it sounded like to me, with the soft, rhythmic waves. And, the mist in the morning, and how the pearls would show their overtones in that perfect dispersed lighting. Magical moments.

What a beautiful description, Red! We had all the windows open upstairs, no need for the AC. But I didn't hear the ocean until later at night once the activities quieted down. And it was a truly magical experience!

Thank you, baby nurse. When I first discovered Chinese freshwater pearls, I thought here is a product that everyone can afford and wear. I bought lots of inexpensive strands, and started to string them myself, but discovered that I did not look good in the peachy tones that they generally had. So, I'd have to say that color trumps all. The most perfectly round, lustrous strand that looks horrible on me is pointless. I'm reading the new edition of Richard Wise's book, and he calls it "sympatico". A pearl strand that comes alive when you put it on, because the colors are meant for you. You have exceptional coloring for wearing pearls. They all look amazing on you. I find that I need to be so very careful. Most Tahitians look fine on me. Most Chinese fresh waters don't. After that I look for luster and eye catching shapes.

Red, this is why I fell in love with Tahitians...and especially lighter body pearls. They really do come alive when worn.

BN, that Tahitian rope looks amazing on you. I remember you picking out those gorgeous pearls with Chenai.

2014 was my first ruckus too. I was a bit nervous and didn't know quite what to expect. I knew there would be lots of beautiful jewelry, but didn't know how many lovely, welcoming people I would meet.

BabyNurse! It makes me so happy to see your Tahitian Rope. I remember I first started researching about Tahitian ropes when I got obsessed with Victoria Grayson's Tahitian ropes on Revenge. That led me to stumble onto Pearl-Guide. It was after seeing your gorgeous Tahitian rope, that I decided to take the plunge, reached out to PP (also had Chenai) put together a 54" rope by blending 3 strands together. That was my very first purchase from PP and my first large personal pearl purchase so it definitely holds a very special place in my heart!

And yes, baby nurse, my first ruckus too, and I remember that glorious ocean, and sitting on the balcony with you :) I also remember hounding, negotiating, luring ... er ... asking Walter if he wouldn't like to visit cousins in CA and oh, by the way ... lol. I also remember him pulling into that driveway, and having an absolute panic attack, asking myself what on earth possessed me to do such a thing, and begging him to take me back to the hotel! Walter, being the kind and sweet hubby that he is, leaned over, opened my door, GROWLED something along the lines of "If you think you dragged me all the way across the country to NOT get out of the car ..." ... ... there was more, but it's not for polite hearing LOL. I stumbled into the foyer, dazzled by sunlight on the ocean, and Newberry too me under her wing and suddenly BAS was there, and baby nurse, and Red and ... now I flip photos for self indulgent fun :) Love you all.

Aww Cathy, I think many of us had worries about attending our first ruckus. I flat out would not have gone if BAS hadn't been going. But she did and so I did too.

Here is my little story. The night before my flight to LA, I was nervous and slept poorly. I got 3 or 4 hrs sleep. I'd never been as far west as California, let alone traveled on my own since before I had kids, so basically in a prior lifetime.

When I landed at LAX I was supposed to meet Douglas and KauaiAnne. Douglas's text read something like "I'm wearing a black shirt and grey pants and I'm sitting below a huge Rolex sign." As it turned out, a lot of men wear black shirts and grey pants. And Rolex advertises a lot. My phone stopped working so I couldn't clarify details with Douglas. Details like 'what do you look like", " I'm lost", and "help".

I don't recall how I finally found him but eventually I did, and KauaiAnn as well. They were both friendly and kind and conversation flowed while we travelled by shuttle to the mansion. BAS and Newberry were there and the rest of the weekend was like a happy dream.

Last edited:
Thank you, baby nurse. When I first discovered Chinese freshwater pearls, I thought here is a product that everyone can afford and wear. I bought lots of inexpensive strands, and started to string them myself, but discovered that I did not look good in the peachy tones that they generally had. So, I'd have to say that color trumps all. The most perfectly round, lustrous strand that looks horrible on me is pointless. I'm reading the new edition of Richard Wise's book, and he calls it "sympatico". A pearl strand that comes alive when you put it on, because the colors are meant for you. You have exceptional coloring for wearing pearls. They all look amazing on you. I find that I need to be so very careful. Most Tahitians look fine on me. Most Chinese fresh waters don't. After that I look for luster and eye catching shapes.

Thank you, Red, for the compliments and your explanation. I'll look into Richard Wise's book; it sounds like a great read.

And I'm glad you've found your pearls! Sigh, who doesn't love Tahitians :eek:. Can't. Get. Enough. Of. Them.

BN was kind enough to send me information on color and skin tones recently and I looked at this topic extensively for me personally. Like you Red, I don't do peach, or a lot of pastels. BN looks great in these colors. After this study I am revisiting pink (deep pink) and purples. There was a recent article in the Wall Street Journal about pink being a hot color for spring and how a lot of career women had rejected this color as being too girly. I agree whole heartedly Red, that after color, LUSTER is important. Like Red I like interesting shapes too. Also a consideration for me is size because at my age, little pearls seem to disappear.

Some of the Chinese come in some beautiful deep colors and metallics and I am working on a strand now.

I had hoped the discussion on color and skin tone would help!

Interesting that pink is a hot color for spring. It's my favorite color but I see how it can be viewed as too girly.

I'm very excited to see this metallic, colorful strand you are working on!

Well that rope , for me, is perfection. I adore the shapes mixed and the marvellous lustre and colour . I could stare at those pearls for a lifetime.

Thank you, Katbran. A lot of love went into it. And I think I posted enough pictures to last just about a lifetime!

BN, that Tahitian rope looks amazing on you. I remember you picking out those gorgeous pearls with Chenai.

2014 was my first ruckus too. I was a bit nervous and didn't know quite what to expect. I knew there would be lots of beautiful jewelry, but didn't know how many lovely, welcoming people I would meet.

Kay--I remember YOUR Tahitians very well also. I remember working on my rope but my eyes kept straying to your Ts because they were that colorful/ lustrous/beautifully shaped.

And I agree. I too had no idea how many friendly, wonderful people I would meet : )

BabyNurse! It makes me so happy to see your Tahitian Rope. I remember I first started researching about Tahitian ropes when I got obsessed with Victoria Grayson's Tahitian ropes on Revenge. That led me to stumble onto Pearl-Guide. It was after seeing your gorgeous Tahitian rope, that I decided to take the plunge, reached out to PP (also had Chenai) put together a 54" rope by blending 3 strands together. That was my very first purchase from PP and my first large personal pearl purchase so it definitely holds a very special place in my heart!

Ahh, I'm glad it helped you out Purranha! And I remember you posting that rope and thinking it was breathtaking!

Mine is 50". 54'' is better. I've meant to add to it so I can wear it as a torsade. It's just a tiny bit short.

I think at the time that purchase was the one I invested the most thought in. There are few things as luxurious as a long rope of Tahitians, no?

Day 47:

Today I wore my drop pendant and studs from Pearl Paradise. The pendant Pearl is an 11mm metallic drop that PP had as one of their specials. They sold out within hours so I was lucky to get this one. They had larger ones for pendants but they sold out of those by the time I called (Newberry has one) so I got the "largest" of the earring drops as my pendant : ). I'll be perfectly honest. When I heard the larger ones were gone and what they had left were the smaller earring pearls, I was really disappointed and almost decided not to get it. 11mm sounded very small. I'm SO glad I did! This pendant is so elegant and versatile. I reach for it often.

I tried three different sets of studs to see which pairing looked best. Please share your impressions! The first is 7.5mm metallic fwp, second is 9-10mm metallic fwp, and finally my 10-11mm Burmese wss.

Today I wore my drop pendant and studs from Pearl Paradise. The pendant Pearl is an 11mm metallic drop that PP had as one of their specials.

The pendant Pearl is an 11mm metallic drop that PP had as one of their specials.  They sold out within hours so I was lucky to get this one.

They had larger ones for pendants but they sold out of those by the time I called (Newberry has one) so I got the largest of the earring drops as my pendant : )

7.5mm studs, 9-10mm studs, 10-11mm studs

Pendant with 7.5 mm studs

Pendant with 7.5 mm studs

I really like the color and luster match of the above 7.5mm studs but find them a bit small.

Pendant with 9-10 mm studs

Pendant with 9-10 mm studs

The above 9-10mm pair Is what I wear with the pendant. I like the size, color may not be the greatest match but it's probably not noticeable when worn.

Pendant with 11-12 mm studs

Pearl Pendant with 11-12 mm studs

The 10-11mm pair above is pretty good color-wise but I think they may be too big?

That drop is absolutely beautiful!

I really like the first earring combo. The colours match perfectly and I don't think the studs are too small at all. Just perfect, and so lustrous too! The second combo is also pretty, I think the largest studs overwhelm the pendant a bit.

I like the first earrings, too. I don't think they are too small at all.

I'm also going with the first option. I don't think 7.5mm is too small; the luster and color are perfectly matched to your pendant--which is stunning by the way!

Back