365 Days of Pearls

I really love the lavender/purple combo! So pretty. And I love how you pair that wssp strand (I consider a piece like that to be a Major Necklace) with a tee - so lovely yet casual.

Request, since you're amazing at capturing luster and orient in photos - can you give us some photo tips?

Thank you, Katbran, Lady D and battah!

Battah, I really don't have any tricks for picture taking. The only thing I do consistently is stand between the light source and the pearls so that light is diffuse. I like to take pictures in natural light but for the last few months I've only had time in the evenings so they've been in fluorescent lighting. I do the same here though, I stand between the light source and the pearls.

Oh your last two combinations are breathtaking! Love the ssps! They have a slightly bluish glow to them! I have a strand that is similar in color and absolutely love them. And the lavender strand joined with the purple strand is beautiful! What a great look!!!

Thank you, amti!

I hope you guys are ok with me sharing this. If it's tmi or b-o-r-i-n-g, scroll down to the pearls lol.

Not long ago we bought an incubator and placed some of our eggs in it. 21 days later, one of them hatched! This little guy is the son of the rooster in my avatar:eek:.

IMG_3240.jpg

A bit cuter once he dried off.

IMG_3274.jpg

Day 215:

What to wear today...why, my feather pearl necklace (Kojima Pearl) of course!

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

I don’t know which I love more your pearls or your new baby chick. How do you know so early that it is a “he”.

I'm sure he was sexed after he was hatched. I remember on the old Dilbert website there was a list of job titles that sounded sexier than the actual job. Chick sexer came in second. I cannot remember what was first.

I can't decide which is cuter, the chick, or the chick wearing the feather.

Thank you, Fidgetnator, Luvglitz, Pearl Dreams, and BWeaves.

Luvglitz, I don't know for sure if he's a male; I'm pretty much going with my gut. We've had quite a few chicks in the past and the males have had louder voices and more assertive personalities. I hope I'm wrong about him because a hen would provide us with eggs and we don't need any more roosters. But he's a buff Orpington which is a chilled out breed so he will probably be a good pet if he is indeed a rooster. Eating him is not an option.

Pearl Dreams, yes chicks are usually sexed before you buy them. You can request female, male or a "straight run" which is a group of unsexed chicks. This little guy though was from our eggs and incubated in our own incubator. We were hoping for more than one so that he'd have company but he's the only one that hatched : (

BWeaves :cool:

Oh sorry there were not more chicks that hatched, BN. I have never hatched them but we bought day old chicks for FFA for my son one year and they were a lot of work to raise. From what I was told, there is no way to tell them apart in the beginning, however, after a few weeks, it is pretty clear which the males were bc they were much larger. But I have a sneaky suspicion that those in the industry can tell most of the time. In Japan, we used to go to festivals were baby chicks were sold. We purchased three at separate times and all three were males. I don't think they take the females to these functions. All three of those roosters were pets and used to follow me around the yard.

Awww little chickie!! My grandma used to get us chicks as pets when we were kids. Sadly, I think the chicks that were sold as pets were generally the less hardy ones (this was in the Middle East - at the local market you could buy farm-grade chicks or pet-grade chicks) so they didn't usually do too well. They're such sweet animals though.

Beautiful feather necklace!

View attachment 55883

That's TOO cute!! Adorable!! and congratulations! :D :D there is no need for hand feeding for them, right?..

Oh sorry there were not more chicks that hatched, BN. I have never hatched them but we bought day old chicks for FFA for my son one year and they were a lot of work to raise. From what I was told, there is no way to tell them apart in the beginning, however, after a few weeks, it is pretty clear which the males were bc they were much larger. But I have a sneaky suspicion that those in the industry can tell most of the time. In Japan, we used to go to festivals were baby chicks were sold. We purchased three at separate times and all three were males. I don't think they take the females to these functions. All three of those roosters were pets and used to follow me around the yard.

What a sweet image amti-- 3 little roosters following you around the yard! Nice of you to indulge your son with the chicks! What is the FFA?

We were very sad about the 4 eggs that didn't hatch. All of them had live chicks inside on day 19, so they died sometime between day 19 and day 21. You are supposed to increase the humidity in the incubator for the last 3 days and I don't think I did it early enough. Apparently I can't count. In any case, the one chick is getting royal treatment and my kids love him. He really is an adorable little thing.

oh dear... only one hatched :( He must be special then...a little fighter... you could call him Ali He's so sweet ! As is that cute little necklace with a feather pearl ! Feathers all around !

Lol, Ali is wonderful, Katbran! My oldest was pretty quick to settle on a name. "Buckbeak" is what he chose, after a magical character in the Harry Potter series. I would have preferred "Fawkes", after the Phoenix in Harry Potter, but Buckbeak it is.

Awww little chickie!! My grandma used to get us chicks as pets when we were kids. Sadly, I think the chicks that were sold as pets were generally the less hardy ones (this was in the Middle East - at the local market you could buy farm-grade chicks or pet-grade chicks) so they didn't usually do too well. They're such sweet animals though.

Beautiful feather necklace!

That is SO sweet of your grandma, battah! Grandmothers are the best. It sounds like you have wonderful childhood memories of yours : )

FFA = Future Farmers of America

I grew up in Iowa, and even us town kids could join. The farm kids would typically raise a calf, or a piglet, for the county fair.

Back