365 Days of Pearls

Those are some of the most amazing (flameballs ?) I have ever seen! Both in color and luster!! Again, your collection never ceases to amaze!!

Thanks, Pearly. They're really lovely in person as well, one of my favorite strands of ripples because of their luster and amazing overtones.

I honestly don't know the true definition of flameballs. Some of the pearls definitely have the shape but I think true flameballs are broader? Hopefully someone can explain...

Day 11:

This is my very first strand of pearls!

Waaayyyy back in 1990, when I lived in Canada, I crossed the Bridge to USA to pick these up at JCPenney. Jewelry was cheaper in the US than in Canada and I was on a mission to treat myself to the only kind of "real" pearls in existence (to my knowledge): little, white, round pearls.

My guess is that these are akoya, and while the pearls are quite clean, luster is soft and they've yellowed with the years. The pearls are about 6mm and the strand length 18" with fish hook clasp.

Until this thread, I had nothing but contempt for these pearls. Then I decided to include them in my presentation; I took them out, cleaned them off, tried them on with a few outfits and was stunned by their charm! Keepers : )

First pearls from JC Penny

First pearls from JC Penny

My guess is that these are akoya, and while the pearls are quite clean, luster is soft and they've yellowed with the years

Yay, those are lovely akoyas BN. We agree that the quality of pearls has improved a lot today. My then looked lustrous akoyas seem dull compared to my other pearls. Maybe it's time to restring them.

Oh, they're charming and absolute keepers! Makes me want to hunt up my first strand bought by my parents over 4 decades ago!!!

Yay, those are lovely akoyas BN. We agree that the quality of pearls has improved a lot today. My then looked lustrous akoyas seem dull compared to my other pearls. Maybe it's time to restring them.

Yes, the quality has improved incredibly!

Do you think they need to be restrung? They've only been worn about 5 times and the silk looks clean with tight knots?

Oh, they're charming and absolute keepers! Makes me want to hunt up my first strand bought by my parents over 4 decades ago!!!

There is something very appealing about a simple, small strand of pearls. I used to gravitate towards the biggest pearls but I really enjoy little pearls (6mm or less) as well.

I remember that strand from you parents; I think it was one of the first ones you posted. I hope you wear it and enjoy it!

Your necklace doesn't need restringing at all, the necklace still looks perfect.
I was talking about my first akoya necklace. Mine does need restringing. The silk thread has frayed and stretched after 13 years (!)
When I bought my first akoyas in 2003, they looked lustrous. Now when I see PGers akoyas, mine seem to look dull.

A classic strand is definitely a keeper.

I find I hang enhancers and drops off my smaller strands these days, turning them into pearl chains, so to speak.

Your necklace doesn't need restringing at all, the necklace still looks perfect.
I was talking about my first akoya necklace. Mine does need restringing. The silk thread has frayed and stretched after 13 years (!)
When I bought my first akoyas in 2003, they looked lustrous. Now when I see PGers akoyas, mine seem to look dull.

Your akoya have gotten more love than mine so no doubt it's time for a restringing.

I think we all have purchases that we look back on and think "Wish I'd waited and spent the money after I'd learned what to look for." PGers are an educated bunch who know what the cream of the crop looks like and where to find it. Still, those prior purchases are special. I love this little strand of akoya, bought when I knew nothing. And I'm pretty sure I payed $100.00 usd for it!

A classic strand is definitely a keeper.

I find I hang enhancers and drops off my smaller strands these days, turning them into pearl chains, so to speak.

BWeaves, completely agree!! Also layer with a thin sparkly chain with small pendant or petite gemstone strand.

BN, a very special akoya strand, indeed!

For me, the 80s were defined by small akoya pearls. I love your strand, and of course the sweater too.

I'm just now remembering that small white pearls were indeed the style back then.

I was a teen in the 80s, so for me that decade was defined by Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Boy George, A Flock of Seagulls...

BWeaves, completely agree!! Also layer with a thin sparkly chain with small pendant or petite gemstone strand.

BN, a very special akoya strand, indeed!

Thanks, pattye.

I love these layering ideas ie. thin sparkly chain with small pendant or petite gemstone strand. I find layering tricky.

Back