Who is attending the Pearl-Guide Ruckus 2016, July 29, 30, 31???

We are working on the planning now! The mansion is only 11 miles from the office and about 19 miles from the airport. The best thing for people to do is to coordinate together and Uber in. Uber in Los Angeles is way cheaper than a taxi and so much more convenient. We've never had a group this big before so it would be best if we don't have 25 cars there :)

We will be allowed access a bit earlier for the caterers, but we take possession of the property at 6 pm on Friday, so we are planning on having dinner at a welcome champagne toast at 7 pm.

Finally because we have so many more couples this year, we decided to get a second property down the road that has another five bedrooms! If you count the guest room at our place, this year we will have 16 all together -- more than double last year!

We are going to have fun!!!

Thank you Jeremy. I'm looking forward to meeting you and everybody.

Thank you so much Jeremy and Hisano ... can't wait! I'll bring as many pearls as the pack mule can carry ... some of you know him as Walter :)

BWA-HAHAHHA. I'm only bringing a couple of pearls. I don't want my hubby to think I already have enough. Cough Cough. My hubby is named Greg.

Email sent, We will be driving our ford explorer down and will have some extra seats if that helps.

Hi peeps,

I arrive in LA on Thu 28 July, and shall stay overnight in a nearby hotel, and would appreciate a lift to Palazzo Beverly Hills if at all possible.

Not an issue if it proves to be a logistical nightmare, as it is not too far from the hotel, and I can go there by taxi or whatever.

DK :)

I really recommend people get the Uber app on their phones when coming to Los Angeles. Riding with Uber costs about 1/3 taxi rates and most of the time you are picked up within 3-5 minutes. Calling a taxi can easily take an hour. You're also able to leave feedback about your driver, which means you never get a driver in a bad mood.

I really recommend people get the Uber app on their phones when coming to Los Angeles. Riding with Uber costs about 1/3 taxi rates and most of the time you are picked up within 3-5 minutes. Calling a taxi can easily take an hour. You're also able to leave feedback about your driver, which means you never get a driver in a bad mood.

Does Uber work from LAX?

Also, for all of you who are only bringing a few pearls, here are some thoughts.

There are going to be lots of pearls at the Ruckus. I find myself looking at the pearls and trying to remember what I have at home. Do I already own something like this, is mine as lustrous as the one I am looking at, etc. I select pearls to bring that I may want to match, or which need setting, because there is no better place to come up with ideas. I suggest bringing a list of what you own, or perhaps photos to remind yourself not to buy the same thing again and again. At least, that is my problem when faced with all of the gorgeous pearls that I know I am going to see. Try to have an idea of the gaps in your pearl wardrobe, and think of what you should be looking for. Finally, be prepared to see surprises and to fall in love with pearls all over again.

I just installed the Uber app, but haven't tried it yet.

Do you tip your Uber drivers? I've been googling and seeing articles that say, don't tip, and ones that say the driver will give the customer a bad review if you don't tip and then ignor your further requests for pickup. If you do tip, how much?

Last edited:
Uber does now work from LAX.

Tipping is really up to you. I use the service several times each week and I've only seen one sign about tips. If using the Plus or XL, I don't think anyone would tip. I usually tip if going short distances because I know they don't make much on those trips.

WHAT? The Customers get reviewed?!

I hope it's more of a "this guy was drunk and threw up in my car and I'm never driving him again" thing, and not a "cheap tipper, I hope they miss their flight" thing.

Jeremy, how much do you tip, percentage wise?

I live in a city with no public transportation, so I'm truly clueless about tipping for taxis and stuff like that. I don't want people to think I'm a clueless jerk.

I hope it's more of a "this guy was drunk and threw up in my car and I'm never driving him again" thing, and not a "cheap tipper, I hope they miss their flight" thing.

Jeremy, how much do you tip, percentage wise?

I live in a city with no public transportation, so I'm truly clueless about tipping for taxis and stuff like that. I don't want people to think I'm a clueless jerk.

I don't usually do a percentage. If we are taking Uber from a restaurant near our home, it is usually only a mile or so. I think it costs around $4 and I know the driver only makes around half, so I usually give then an extra 3-5 so it isn't a waste of their time. When we take plus from the office to our place it is usually around $25-$30 and I don't typically tip.

Tipping really isn't expected. I believe most people don't tip. The entire point of Uber is the ability to use your phone to pay for everything so you don't need to carry cash.

Back