Chinese Freshwater vs. Tahitian: A new threat?

I have checked the link form Panda's discussion:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330077531801

The same saler sell the clasp for $36 and Earring without pearls for $30. So he has only $60 for the pearls and EBay cost.

With this cost, one can not buy good Akoya-pearls with 6,5-7.5mm.

Also one sell akoya generally 6,5-7,0 mm and 7,0-7,5mm.

JWei

I have found this thread absolutely fascinating. In my recent quest for a 'good' 9-10mm or 10-11mm freshwater black strand, I have seen many interesting dye jobs and I do agree they are getting close to 'Tahitian black'. But none of the pearls I have yet seen have been of sufficiently good surface or shape for them to ever be confused with Tahitians. In fact I'm ready to give up trying to find a good black freshwater strand in these sizes because the quality is quite poor. I have of course looked at the various sites of the trusted sellers on the forum, but failing that I have had recourse to e-Bay. I'm expecting something on Monday. Goodness knows what it will be like, but the picture was very nice.

PGDesign said:
In my recent quest for a 'good' 9-10mm or 10-11mm freshwater black strand, I have seen many interesting dye jobs and I do agree they are getting close to 'Tahitian black'. But none of the pearls I have yet seen have been of sufficiently good surface or shape for them to ever be confused with Tahitians.

No surpise, the pearls would have had to be nice to begin with to look nice died. And I am not sure how many would tint large, fine freshwaters.

If I'm not mistaking, 10mm is not large for the bead-nucleated black pearls, but rather large for the non-beaded freshwaters.

Maybe around 8mm you'd have a better chance...

No surpise, the pearls would have had to be nice to begin with to look nice died. And I am not sure how many would tint large, fine freshwaters.

If I'm not mistaking, 10mm is not large for the bead-nucleated black pearls, but rather large for the non-beaded freshwaters.

Maybe around 8mm you'd have a better chance...

Hi Valeria,

Yes, that's exactly what I've been told, good pearls of that size would not be dyed, only the poorer quality ones would be given that treatment. I would have to compromise size over quality. It will be interesting to see what turns up in the post on Monday. They are described as Lustre: AAA Surface: AA Shape: AA. Not that 'grading' tells you much. Since posting just now, I have fallen victim to overwhelming curiosity and ordered another 10-11mm strand, this time described as 'Tahitian black'. Since they will relevant to this thread, I shall try to take a photograph of them. They'll be delivered in about a week.

Since finding this forum I have come to understand what 'pearl addiction' really means. I have now got it, certainly.

Last edited:
Back