Chinese Freshwater vs. Tahitian: A new threat?

Really? The first pic too? Hmmm....I think I must get some glasses. In my first response I did say that they are probably freshwaters with better dye jobs but then I clicked on the link and the first pic didn't look like it to me. But Jeremy sees much more pearls than I do(I see more in my dreams though), so freshwater it is.

Slraep

Yes, really. But I kept quiet because I am aware that I know only that which I have direct experience of, and maybe you guys could see something that I couldn't.
And lumps of coal ? Now there's a thought....... And 100% natural, too.
Must think of a way to drill and string, without getting dirty....

Must think of a way to drill and string, without getting dirty....

You coat them with acrylic lacquer? I think I'd still end up looking like a chimney sweep somehow.

Hah! I bet the stuff below costs more than Tahitians, diamonds and platinum. Yes, it's COAL, diamonds and platinum. Should go into a "Valentine idea 2008" thread for sure.

http://www.cornelia-rating.de/

Slraep

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? The first pic too? But Jeremy sees much more pearls than I do(I see more in my dreams though), so freshwater it is.
Slraep

Hey, I dream about pearls all the time:p Especially during the Christmas season when I put them down right before going to sleep.

The photo shows a classic dyed coloration and the surface has a freshwater-like texture to it. It does not look like saltwater nacre and it does not photograph like saltwater nacre. I am sure if and when the buyer receives the strand it will look completely different. The seller has used the same photo so many times...

Now come on Slraep,
Once coated with laquer, the coal wouldn't be natural anymore...
Just another row of LCB's..........:D

Jeremy, bless you,
I was beginning to doubt myself, and thought I'd lost my "eye".

Sueki,
There is certainly no doubt in that picture. You are absolutely right.

You notice in the auction, however, the seller is referring to the piece as "Tahitian black" as though they are only describing the color. This is meant to intentionally deceive.

The findings this seller sells are just as bad. Take a look at this auction, for example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-14K-14K-M...hZ014QQcategoryZ67716QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

This clasp is offered for sale at $36 plus $10 shipping. That would not be a bad deal if the description was correct. They claim it weighs 2.5 grams. If that were true $36 would be a really good deal. The problem is that the clasp they have pictured is a standard pearl clasp that weighs closer to .25 grams, not 2.5 grams. They weight they claim is about 10 times the weight of the clasp.

This appears to be standard operating procedure on all their findings auctions.

Bad news seller...

I think the seller of this one is worth a mention as well. It was mentioned by silverseajewelry.

http://cgi.ebay.com/11mm-Cultured-B...ryZ43082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The prices and descriptions do not match. I would assume the pearls are all fake, and I would guarantee they are nothing like the description. There is no chance that a store is moving and selling off their entire inventory at 10% of actual cost. Especially that many pieces. The store would be a 'Pearl' store. For the prices and pieces listed the seller could walk into any pearl wholesaler's office and sell every one of them for 3 times what they are claiming to sell them for on eBay - including selling them back to the people they purchased them from.

I mean, think about it. Strands of "AAA" grade, perfectly matched Tahitians and South Sea pearls for only a $3-$5 per pearl. Even a pearl farmer would jump at the chance to buy those, eh Josh?!

But hey, there is one other possibility. The seller of the pearls may have robbed a pearl store. That would be the only plausible explanation if they were indeed real.

The findings this seller sells are just as bad. Take a look at this auction, for example.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-14K-14K-M...hZ014QQcategoryZ67716QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

This clasp is offered for sale at $36 plus $10 shipping. That would not be a bad deal if the description was correct. They claim it weighs 2.5 grams. If that were true $36 would be a really good deal. The problem is that the clasp they have pictured is a standard pearl clasp that weighs closer to .25 grams, not 2.5 grams. They weight they claim is about 10 times the weight of the clasp.

This appears to be standard operating procedure on all their findings auctions.

Bad news seller...

Wow, they say the "regular" price of this 14K generic clasp is $80 bucks?? On what planet? Yes that's pure crap.

Attachments

• 62_2.JPG
    62_2.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jeremy,
My self-confidence is restored.
And that clasp....
Blimey, I'm in the wrong job. I've several similar laying around here.

3944_10.JPG

Lustrous silver-white South Sea pearl necklace held with a 18K WHITE GOLD ball CLASP. This magnificent graduated SILVER-WHITE South Sea
necklaceis composed of ROUND pearls with high luster and thick nacre. This unique 18.0-inch Pearl Necklace is composed of 11.50 - 12.00 mm white south sea pearls.​

This one is a mere $299. Even 12mm CFWP's would cost more than that at that size.

What do you thnk you would get, shell pearl? or 9-10mm off round CFWP's?

Last edited:
STORE MOVING SALE!! LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!
23a9_10.JPG

This 10-11MM natural color Pearls are dark in color with dark green overtones unique to the Cultured Black Tahitian."AAA" quality Pearls are round in shape

Here's the picture and the text. It is so deceptive, it doesn't even use the usual tricks. My tip off was that Tahitians don't come in off round like 10x11mm and still be called round. Besides it looks like cfwp's. The dye jobs are getting much more interesting, aren't they?

This one is a mere $299. Even 12mm CFWP's would cost more than that at that size. What do you thnk you would get, shell pearl? or 9-10mm off round CFWP's?

Yes, what is one to get?

1. Freshwaters
2. Low grade SS (it is possible for that price because it happened to me on several occasions buying from eBay Japan!!)
3. Shell pearls(but surely someone would have noticed and said so in the feedback)

And what is the pic of? Shell?

Slraep

Let's take a better look at no.1 too.

DESCRIPTION

ITEM#: 11bknk1-001
Pearl Color: Peacock Color
Pearl Nacre: Very Thick
Pearl Surface: Excellent
Pearl Luster: Excellent
Pearl Shape: Near Perfect Round
Pearl Size: 8.0mm-10.0mmmm
Necklace Length: 17"
Metal Type: Solid 14K White Gold Ball Clasp Worth $80.00

Attachments

• 0524_1.JPG
    0524_1.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 61
  • bknk-gb-001.jpg
    bknk-gb-001.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 63
Sorry, the picture was so big, it made the text run off the page. Essentially, I was asking the same question as Slraep.

The "pearls" are perfect in the picture. Maybe shell pearls are getting better at simulating nacre, just as the dyers are getting better at simulating Tahitian black.

Maybe/surely, they stole the picture and people don't know from shell pearl......

I don't see how people can be fooled by this.

Slraep said:
Yes, what is one to get?

1. Freshwaters
2. Low grade SS (it is possible for that price because it happened to me on several occasions buying from eBay Japan!!)
3. Shell pearls(but surely someone would have noticed and said so in the feedback)

And what is the pic of? Shell?

Slraep

I'm quoting myself here. That's a first(I think). Because I forgot no. 4, which is Sinanodonta woodiana a.k.a. Vietnamese natural black freshwaters---but that's only if the seller is the infamous pearl scholar, Zeide Erskine. (inside joke, unfortunately)

Slraep

What ever happened to the distinction "Tahiti Black Pearls" and "Black Pearls of Tahiti" as the only correct way to advertise Pearls from Tahiti? I rarely see that anymore.

Now technically, a seller could call his/her pearls Tahitian black pearls and not be misrepresenting.

Yet, reputable sellers don't seem to be using the official "Tahiti Black Pearl" these days...

Now technically, a seller could call his/her pearls Tahitian black pearls and not be misrepresenting.

No. This is complete, intentional misrepresentation if the seller, like the eBay seller mentioned, is selling freshwater pearls.

Actually, according to GIE of Tahiti it is only "Tahitian Pearls" that is acceptable now. They are trying to do away with the word "black" as the pearls are rarely ever black.

Some sellers use the phrase "black South Sea pearls", and this can encompass pearls from Tahiti, Fiji, the Cook Islands, etc. But Tahitian dealers from Tahiti do not like that phrase.

Tahiti or Tahitian is a locational description. It is strictly to be used when referring to pearls that have been harvested in French Polynesia. Calling something "Tahitian black" is deceitful and is intentionally used to make the buyer think the seller has Tahitian pearls. The seller's recourse is simple. "I did not say the pearls were Tahitian:rolleyes:".

Even "Tahitian color" would be better.

Back