Chinese Freshwater vs. Tahitian: A new threat?

Can someone guess what this is?

Attachments

• en-00004313.jpg
    en-00004313.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 58
Slraep said:
Can someone guess what this is?

Formerly pink freshwater button.

...but you didn't mean to make it that easy, did you? ;)

Formerly pink freshwater button.

...but you didn't mean to make it that easy, did you? ;)

How do You see it? Looking at it I thought that the shape was somewhat unusal for a Thitian pearl but the colours had me fooled! So please, let us know by what you determined it to be a former CFW-button?:confused:

I don't know if the guess is right...

For better or worse, it was based on 'nacre optics': Tahitian ones also have this red & green combination in the 'fish eye' effect under direct light (or photo) but reversed (green edges) except for the odd reddish coppery pearl.

Nothing too serious about this: remember that thread about 'Iridescence'? I was left with the yearn to collect research results and make up my mind whether knowing details about nacre structure has any practical use whatsoever. Little pipe dream here :rolleyes:

PS: about the shape - had to flip a coin between 'button' (on the side) and 'oval'. The top appears duller (i.e. catching light at a different angle) so... 'button' got the upper hand.

Please, anyone else take a guess....oh go ahead!! Let's say a necklace of this type of pearl appeared on eBay, what would you determine it is? And what do you think you would get?

Slraep

Imagine Ebay? No... not fair. Of course the context blurs things, otherwise there would be no sales folk in the world.

Your guess is hard because is taken out of context! And the picture doesn't give anything blatant away either, you know that. ;)

Valeria101 said:
Your guess is hard because is taken out of context!

Hi Ana,

Exactly!!! The context makes for easy preconceived answers, doesn't it?

Slraep

Caitlin Williams said:
Is that one of your sinodantas?

Funny, Caitlin, funny. I was going to send them to a lab but I think I'll save my money because I'm pretty certain now that nothing of the sort exists except in "certain" people's imagination, including the old fellow who claimed to culture them in Vietnam.

So what do you think the pearl in the pic is? It's so much easier when you know the eBay vendor is from China and and seems not to know what he/she is selling, isn't it? Then you can just extrapolate.

Slraep

Slraep said:
Hi Ana,

Exactly!!! The context makes for easy preconceived answers, doesn't it?

Slraep

Yes... but ... can you imagine the world without such 'narrow-minded' practicality? :rolleyes: W/O taking context into account, every pearl would be sold with a lab report (i.e. double blind, independent identification ;)).

Posted here, a picture like that could well be the one and only naturally black freshwater pearl groomed by Korean scientists in Kamchatka before global warming wiped both out, LOL! :eek:

jshepherd said:
Do you have another angle?

Could it be that it is 'not' a pearl?

It would be the same angle! Is it dyed freshwater? Is it Tahiti? Is it shell pearl? Is it another type of pearl? Just make believe it is a vendor on eBay, say like the Chinese pearl vendor at the start of this thread. Should be easy. But it is without the preconceived idea of what a Chinese vendor will send you.

Why is it so hard to identify? The pearls at the beginning of this thread were easy enough.

Slraep

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it could be several things. That is what makes it difficult especially because of the way you posted the question. It leads one to think it is not the first obvious choice. Also, it is much, much easier to determine pearl type when in a strand. Single pearls can be a lot trickier.

This is what I saw in it.

The reflection looks more like saltwater than freshwater. The coloration could be Tahitian, but it certainly looks more like dyed freshwater.

The shape would be very odd for Tahitian yet very typical for freshwater.

I cannot see a drill hole in the most obvious location. Does the angle hide it or is it not there? If there is no drill hole that would lead me to believe it is not freshwater - it would not be dyed prior to drilling. So that means it could be even a fake or a mabe.

So....?

Hi Slraep,
Is it possible to have a bigger / more close up photo. please ?
It's difficult to see it clearly.

Sueki said:
Hi Slraep,

Is it possible to have a bigger / more close up photo. please ?
It's difficult to see it clearly.

Hi Sueki,

Unfortunatley the pic is just a thumbnail from someone's site and will pixellate if I try to make it bigger. Can I ask why ? It was easy to identify the necklace below as freshwater and the pic is not good at all.

Attachments

• 0524_2.JPG
    0524_2.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 70
jshepherd said:

So.....what if I tell you the pearl is up for sale by a typical vendor from mainland China. He says it is a cultured Tahitian.

I didn't know they dye freshwaters AFTER they drill them! You learn something from every thread.

Slraep

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Slraep,
I ask only 'cos it's a little too small for me to guess with confidence.
The other necklace I could link to the ebay page and see a bigger photo.
And I'm up at this hour because I'm nursing a rotten cold which is keeping me awake.
Anyway, I'd say this is also a dyed freshwater. Just my guess.

Back