365 Days of Pearls

Thank you, Katbran! Yes, I think you’re right, a lot of the pearls have strong green overtone.

Still one of the prettiest mixed strands I've ever laid eyes on. I'm glad you were able to honor Pkninnew yet make the strand something you are comfortable with. Please do know I talked to Pkninnew about your strand being at Ruckus ... and she was thrilled, delighted and so touched that you were loving one of her favorite strands.

Cynde and Cathy— I LOVE these memories!! You’ve brought me right back to the 2014 Ruckus:eek:

That was the big year for Tahitians, very special Tahitians. I remember standing at the PP back door with Red in the alley helping her choose her stunning strands. Last year was the harvest south sea ropes. Every year it's something special....I wonder what it will be this year?

Day 343:

This is the mixed South Sea necklace I bought preloved from Pkinnew. She sold most of her pearls about 3 years ago and many of us were fortunate enough to be able to buy one or two of her pieces.

I’ve worn it twice in the last 3 years, partly because the silk was stretched and I was afraid of losing pearls and partly because it never felt right. It was a custom piece by Hisano for Pkinnew and it seemed to me that this piece was more her than many of her others. I’m sure she wouldn’t be happy with this logic and the resulting neglect of her pearls but there it is.

So I made some changes with the goal of making this baby mine. I gave them a bath, restrung them on gold Beaders Secret (thank you pattye), added a new deep gold near the front, shortened it by removing the last 4 pearls, and switched out the clasp.

Worn today with gold South Sea and Tahitian keshi dangles from Kojima Pearl:eek:.

View attachment 60445

View attachment 60446

View attachment 60447

View attachment 60448

View attachment 60449

View attachment 60450

Oh goodness I remember when this strand was being made. The back and forth adding and subtracting and moving around pearls. I loved it then and thought it was perfect. But you have made it even better!!!! Pkin was such a very special lady and pearl lover. Knowing that, she would be absolutely thrilled with your changes and especially because of who you are and how you feel about the pearls. Wear this with a smile on your face and know you honor her when you do.

A beautiful necklace, great length on you. The more I look at the pearls the more colour I see. You alterations made it your own while still preserving and honouring the original piece and sentiment. Will you make a little bracelet with the 4 removed pearls, wonders the creative side of me. Your new earrings from Kojima look fabulous with the necklace.

I've not forgotten my promise BAS ... but haven't been moved to fulfill it yet ;)

BN, your Tahitians and South Sea mix necklaces are stunning! I remember all the excitement over those Tahitians that Ruckus, there was a delightful collection of pearls to choose from! You did a fabulous job updating Pkinnew's necklace, just lovely :)

That was the big year for Tahitians, very special Tahitians. I remember standing at the PP back door with Red in the alley helping her choose her stunning strands. Last year was the harvest south sea ropes. Every year it's something special....I wonder what it will be this year?

That was such a fabulous first ruckus to attend, and the Tahitians were stunning. I adore my ropes from 2014.

BAS, I love the fireball pendant in your avatar!! Could you please share with me some details about it?

Purranha, it was one of three very modest (price-wise) pieces I picked up at the Ruckus that year. I was lucky to be able to grab it. There was another Kojima ring with a gorgeous little copper egg shaped Keshi. I scooped it up and then realized I’d have to choose between it and the feather ring. This was the year I bought my golden necklace and there was no budget for anything else. Anyway, feather pearl won! I think lmgarden got the little copper egg ring.

I hope this is the year you find one!

BN I'm gonna make you help me shop at the Ruckus!!! :)

Yes, ideal for the dentist, right? I’m never comfortable going there, which is probably why I armed myself with so much pearl!

I will tell you that if you showed up to my office wearing that strand, don't know if I could concentrate on treating your child!!!! LOL

No, dear Purranha ... that was a DIFFERENT drop dead rose gold color FW pearl strand, fashioned with a custom pendant by John Dwight, set with a bigger rainbow drop pearl (Cynde Newberry made me do it ;). The pendant is reversible enhancer, with a ruby on one side and an emerald on the other, to complement the different colors on the pearl. John D. is a genius. The ones BAS liked are more oval pearls, bigger, and paler pink that changes color, green highlights and sometimes almost a lavender tinge to it.

Back