Chinese Freshwater vs. Tahitian: A new threat?

N

National Pearl

Though we do not sell tahitians to our retail customers and sell very few (currently) Tahitian pieces (currently only pendants) to our online community, I found it interesting to hear that many Tahitian farmers are beginning to become quite concerned that their current dominance in producing round, multi-colored large pearls is being threatened by the common Chinese freshwater pearl. Because the Chinese are beginning to produce such beautifully round and colorful freshwater pearls, do others on this forum feel that the Tahitian pearl farmers have real reason to be concerned? Or do you feel there will always be a market for expensive Tahitian even if Chinese freshwater can eventually match them in size, color and roundness?

I have not felt that concern from Tahitian producers. I feel it is something that the Akoya and South Sea market is feeling more. Tahitian prices have stabilized is the past few years, and demand has increased. The South Sea producers and for a larger part, the Akoya producers are the ones feeling the crunch.

I feel Tahitian pearls are too unique to be heavily affected by CFWP. They are always unmistakable. When customers call asking for Tahitian pearls they know what they want. When questions arise over white pearls, it is always a discussion of the benefits of SSP, FWP, and Akoya.

I agree with Jeremy. The natural coloration of the Tahitian pearl just can't be matched by a CFWP and Tahitians really are in a class of their own. The Tahitian market will continue to be stable as long as the demand remains steady and it doesn't look like anything will change in the near future. Tahitian pearls are very popular right now for both rounds and also, for the exotic and unique baroque Tahitian pearls.

As for CFWP, they are making large strides in the current market. With the quality continuing to rise, the Akoya pearls farmers will feel the most pain.

How soon will it be before Freshwater pearls are produced in larger sizes and in larger quanities.? Won't that mean that prices for large Freshwater pearls will come down?

I am on the both/and side. I am thinking that pearls will go the way of fine wine or even best chocolate. Small vineyards or plantations, gourmet product.

Good pearls will be celebrated for
.their place of origin,
.species of scallop or mussel used- or more likely, hybrid species of scallop or mussel used to culture,
.whether it is “tissue stimulated” (luv that expression!) or bead nucleated,
.as well as size, color, and shape.

Even though I think Tahitians will continue to reign as the Queen of Black Pearls- unless the Mexicans really get going! Then look out!
- freshwater pearls will always be happy to provide a an alternative for BIG pearls
- and some dye jobs are not half bad. I have a strand of dyed bronzey, pink, maroon, CFWP 10mm+ that makes a good match for some natural colors of Pteria Sterna. Why shouldn’t dye jobs continue to get better? Though I doubt a dyed CFWP will ever be worth as much as a natural colored Tahitian- who knows what the future will think!

Since the vast bulk of CFWP will probably continue to be commercial grade or less, I expect the prices in FW to range from the cheapest pearls of all, to some of the most expensive for the Freshadama quality. Huge Freshadamas over 12+mm might go up and up in price I don't see a ceiling for best quality pearls of whatever origin.

Last edited:
Who out there is producing naturally black cultured freshwater pearls? The Chinese? Are they purely for the collector's market at this point?

youngster

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it will be quite a while before we see natural black CFWP on the market. It's a very new process so the prices for the rare produce are really high. Time will tell!

These are my 8mm "supposed" "Vietnamese" naturally black freshwaters.
But, I don't think they are naturally black! And i doubt they are Vietnamese!!

Slraep

IMG_810.jpg

Hi Slraep,

How would you describe the luster of those pearls? Orient is notoriously hard to capture via photos, after all.

Hello Mike,

The orient is very freakish. Like looking at one of those black
iridescent beetles or an oil slick.

Slraep

This is maybe a better picture. The pearls are very smooth with very
little blemishing, so the strange lines on them are just shadows.

IMG_0810a.jpg

Teh neclace is Yummy! It looks like jet at a glance in the first pics you posted but in the closeup.... WOW!

Ash

Do you have these pearls in your possession? Are you able to look down the drill hole to see if they are natural versus dyed? Maybe the jeweler told you that because he assumed they were dyed.

Yes, I have the strand. Looking down the drill hole it appears that they are undyed. A jeweller should never assume anything.

You are definitely right! Jewelers should never assume but the problem is, they sometimes do. That silly jeweler must not be familiar with natural black Freshwaters and the rarity of them!

I guess I will have to send them to a LAB to be properly verified.

Slraep

Black natural FWPS from Vietnam

Black natural FWPS from Vietnam

Slraep,

Have I missed something or did you say somewhere how you did get this strand? Are You a collector that was lucky enough to get it ? I assume You did not have to pay the vast sum that was mentioned either, still they must have cost quite a lot if the Vietnames are aware of the rarity of black natural Freshwater pearls.

They are beautiful.

Jerin

Hi Jerin,

Yes I do collect unusual things, and not just pearls. The necklace and earrings are from Zeide G. Erskine's Fantasy Collection..

Slraep

Black natural freshwater pearls

Black natural freshwater pearls

Slraep,

that would explain how you got your beautiful strand. I do consider myself a pearl lover even though I have no cravings for having mostly natural pearls, I like the cultured ones of every kind very much. Preferably I go for freshwater pearls although I do appreciate my Tahitians and other cultured pearls very much.

Of course, having such a rare strand must make you feel very lucky.

The best

Inge Jernberg

Danuta
Those pearls are gorgeous! They are sinanodonta woodiana ? Or perhaps anodonta woodiana?

Last edited:
Back