Tucson 2010

Marketing managed a presto-chango in time for Strack's lecture. These are the 'Souffl?' pearls mentioned above. I saw Blaire's booty and they are spectacular, showing pronounced iridescence and exotic color on smooth surfaces.

The big shows do not allow cameras, but no one can stop a cell phone camera, so Judi got some good pix with hers.

Strack mentioned mud pearls in her talk and also introduced most folks there to the name souffle pearls. Sea Hunt had the top quality, but they were so light, they didn't seem substantial. The colors are deep and variegated.

There was one person in the low-end tents who had them -the bottom end of the line, of course. He bragged he was the only wholesaler to have them.(He meant in the tents) and he was. Next year, there may be more low end souffles.

We speculated that there was mud in the icky "Tahitians" as the holes were huge. Those pearls were bad mojo not to say unbuyable. Only an extremely depressed Goth might like them as they were dead pearls and it would really bring you down to wear them.

(Is that what you meant?)

Thanks for the run-down Caitlin -

I meant that (love hearing the news of the day) plus any loot photos form the hotel rooms. I totally understand why there aren't photos allowed in the exhibits.

Very curious to see where the mud pearls evolve - is souffle being used as an equivalent term and/or has anyone trademarked a name? I'm a huge fan of the deeper colors, and going on the interest I get with nice CFW baroques, I bet they will have a good market once the prices level out.

I was able to purchase some souffle pairs for earrings, but Jack Lynch of Seahunt is going to graciously drill them for me. We were cautioned that anyone who drilled them might want to wear a mask because of the incredibly noxious smell from dead-mud... So, I'm letting Jack do that. I will post pictures when I get them.
Did Blaire get a strand or two?
Oh Caitlin. I am glad to report that I slid by our favorite pearl distributor, Taiwoo and the other lame dealer and their mud"Tahitians" didn't seem to be moving! Ha!

Ok, I think I finally found out how to post pictures here.

These are the god-awful mud "Tahitians". I have to use quotes, because I can't in good conscience even call them pearls!
picture.php

Great camera pictures! so glad you got them. Those pathetic excuses for pearls would be hard to imagine if you haven't seen at least a photo or two.

I can just imagine the stringers being forced to work with these beads... the stricken looks on their faces, perhaps laughing at the vendors who thought customers would pay for these.

In this photo, you can really see the peeling, lack of nacre, and lack of anything to call these objects pearls
picture.php

Besides the fact they lack or have peeling nacre, none of them even has colors. Are they very large in diameter? I am think maybe they are 2nd or 3rd grafts, therefore lacking colors, or maybe the water wasn't clean, the oysters weren't cleaned periodically, etc. Who knows! Judging by comparing to Jeremy's thumbnail, they must be at least 10mm, no less?

Last edited:
I think my first pearl purchase was one of those, smuggled for resale in the Cook Islands. When we got it home, whatever it had been coated/colored with had completely disappeared!

In any case I mentioned THIS POST when answering Gems & Gemology and others in Tucson curious about my beginnings.

Although I think Tucson is a wonderful place and event, Rarotonga set me firmly on the path towards naturals.

Thanks, Pattye. It has been fast and furious. Like racing for the finish line?and someone keeps moving the line!

I am just catching up with the threads and I saw this one. These were those hollow "muck" pearls, not Tahitian pearls. These were freshwater "souffle" as they were called in Tucson.

Ok, I think I finally found out how to post pictures here.

These are the god-awful mud "Tahitians". I have to use quotes, because I can't in good conscience even call them pearls!
picture.php

There aren't even words to describe these. I was going to buy a strand for educational purposes, but I wasn't willing to pay more than $10. We had to settle for a photo.

In this photo, you can really see the peeling, lack of nacre, and lack of anything to call these objects pearls
picture.php

Well yuck to that muck!!! Interesting, but disgusting. Time to see some interesting and lovely. Blaire, where are you?
:) Marianne

Oh, those are awful. I have to tell you though I'd rather see ones like that that are so obviously awful, then some of the ones I have been seeing around here in the different tourist shops, for ridiculous prices. Flat, dead, lusterless, and ugly, but so many people don't know any better.

Back