The 7 strand natural pearls that sold for over 9 millions $ in Geneva yesterday

CLICLASP

Dear PG friends,
I always dreamed to take a plane to see volcanic eruptions anywhere in the world when it happens, but a bit expensive, isn't ?
But when I learnt that the biggest orange diamond was for sale on tuesday and the biggest pink diamond was for sale on wednesday, I took the train to see it .
Were the ladies attending to the windows to present the jewelry intrigued by the specific way I looked at jewelry and asked questions, I don't know but they proposed to show me as many jewelry as I wanted, so I made a photo report on pearls for sale that I will post soon.
What an adventure !

in the meantime ...
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8843&sid=8514ada7-476c-4e58-a77a-466b466db613

More by the end of the week...

Update :
If you like photos on pearls, I put again the links on other photo reports I made by the past :

How old is this pearl? Play again!

Back from a London journey, more stories about pearls

Pearls in Berlin museum

Natural and cultured pearls at famous Paris XXVI? Biennale 2012

Photo report of pearls in Baselworld 2013

Last edited:
Any whispers about which royals owned it? It certainly is gorgeous.

Oy! Definitely ;)a different world from the one I inhabit.

Last edited:
Remember what Lao Tseu said : a house (but can be anything) not only belongs to the one who owns it, but also to the ones who see it.
Seeing this is also a gift of life,
and here I will share it with you.
Stay tuned ...

Breathtaking!!! That might be the most beautiful and elegant multi-strand necklace ever! The clasp is stunning as well! Thank you so much for sharing. I am really looking forward to your pearl photo report :cool:

So the story of my trip to Geneva is as follows:
- on tuesday there was the stunning "THE ORANGE" fancy vivid orange nearly 15 carats diamond on sale at Christie's
- on wednesday there was at Sotheby's, the fantastic "PINK STAR", nearly 60 carats fancy intense pink diamond for sale,
both being the biggest diamonds ever seen in their color category. Not to mention how wonderful it was, even he best photos you can find do not justice to the color saturation, brightness and sparkle.
So on tuesday I visited the preview at Sotheby's and attended to the evening Christie's sale where the 9 millions $ pearls were also sold.
On wednesday I attended to the Sotheby's sale of the pearls I photoshot the day before.
Below 2 photos of Sotheby's , just to share the atmosphere ...
Both sales take place in Hotels just 2 minutes walk from each other, in front of the Geneva lake.

Attachments

• P1210514-hotel-beau-rivage-Sotheby's.jpg
    P1210514-hotel-beau-rivage-Sotheby's.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 79
  • P1210664-sotheby's-beau-rivage-geneve-preview-room.jpg
    P1210664-sotheby's-beau-rivage-geneve-preview-room.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 69
Lovely hotel! I can't wait to see what is in those cases :eek:

I deliberately make you wait :)

yes and moreover I am doing it quietly in the morning when you are all sleeping, ah ah

So, I took the tuesday train that was recorded as the fastest at 578 Km/h... but it was 40 minutes, late, funny isn't ?

I first went to see the preview at Sotheby's where the nearly 60 carats Pink Star and all collections of the so-called "magnificent jewels" will be for sale the day after.
I was admiring all that was on display and as I said, the ladies attending to the windows proposed to get the pieces out so that the photos be better.
Lets' start with a nearly 16 mm natural pearl, on first photo the tuesday preview, on second photo ... the wednesday hammer sale !

This specific auction was a breathless one, the prices raise so fast, so high, see by yourself, (add about 20% to the hammer price)
the bidders have to be very concentrated, and before going ahead I can say that on wednesday sale, the same people that those attending to tuesday Christie's sale, were also attending and they were very tired ...

and below the link to the e-catalogue...http://www.sothebys.com/fr/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/magnificent-jewels-ge1305/lot.141.html
Enjoy!

Attachments

• P1210521-perle-Geneva-cliclasp.jpg
    P1210521-perle-Geneva-cliclasp.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1210775-perle-geneva-cliclasp.jpg
    P1210775-perle-geneva-cliclasp.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 66
You can see it reached 10 times the estimation....

My pleasure ...
tomorrow when you wake up there will be more, and photo of better quality that this one

What was funny was that I shot what I liked and saw without wondering which is which, just like eating an orange and do not care about Vit C.
This is one of my first shot on tuesday Sotheby's preview ( wednesday sale). I was attracted by the amazing color of the pearl.
And once back home, I searched which pearl / period/ brand is was about :

SAPPHIRE, DIAMOND AND CULTURED PEARL BROOCH CIRCA 1910 WITH LATER MODIFICATION
The brooch centring on a baroque cultured pearl of iridescent aubergine tint, encircled within lines of millegrain-set circular- and single-cut diamonds, and calibr?-cut sapphires

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/magnificent-jewels-ge1305/lot.296.html

Again sold higher that estimation (and we can also see the yellow diamond at the right of the photo

Attachments

• P1210523-perle-.jpg
    P1210523-perle-.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 63
a_spectacular_seven-strand_natural_pearl_and_diamond_necklace_d5738843h.jpg
The link without the photo has no educational value. That is why I think it is OK to post those advertisement photos. They are almost like press releases which are meant to advertise to ok to reproduce. Then we get to keep the photo here for its excellent educational value.....

Dear PG friends,
I always dreamed to take a plane to see volcanic eruptions anywhere in the world when it happens, but a bit expensive, isn't ?
But when I learnt that the biggest orange diamond was for sale on tuesday and the biggest pink diamond was for sale on wednesday, I took the train to see it .
Were the ladies attending to the windows to present the jewelry intrigued by the specific way I looked at jewelry and asked questions, I don't know but they proposed to show me as many jewelry as I wanted, so I made a photo report on pearls for sale that I will post soon.
What an adventure !

in the meantime ...
http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...8843&sid=8514ada7-476c-4e58-a77a-466b466db613

More by the end of the week...

Back