StarryPearl's thread

Thank you! Sterling silver. It does look expensive, doesn't it?😝 Must be the beautiful pearl doing its magic. 🥰

That Japanese vendor-friend is a dedicated pearl farmer and he exclusively deals with akoya pearls. So this is a natural color blue akoya. I was mesmerized by this brooch at the first sight. 💗
The silver must be coated with Rhodium...it looks SPLENDID!
And the Blue Akoya is to DIE FOR!

I agree @SteveM : DNA testing is finally here...but might be expensive! Would not mind using it on a valuable natural pearl, but maybe not on a commercial grade cultured pearl.
And YES: those porphyrins are unique to genus Pteria so the UV fluorescence does extend to all members of the genus, except in some peculiar cases such as:
1. very white pearls - less protein there, thus the glow may become very faint and unidentifiable by eyesight
2. Golden color will interfere!

View attachment 470767
In the above photo you can see 3 shells stacked....and all are displaying the pink-red glow typical of Pteria pearls. The deeper colors are found on the Rainbow lip of course, since it has always had a deeper color than the others.
I love the things I learn here.

Should be there in a thread in the forum...lemme look for it!
Here it is :)
https://www.pearl-guide.com/threads/cultured-pteria-penguin-pearls.8761/
Thanks a lot, Douglas! The coloration is so special, and elegant... reminds me of a Fiji pearl bracelet on this forum (probably jeg's?) The size looks decent though. I can't imagine how many shells the farmers cultivated to get this gorgeous strand. Salute them for their patience and persistence. Their work paid off. Nice design and clasp, too!

Two days ago I received a new package of 3 lovely pearls. I slept on it for a night, opened it yesterday, and waited for today's sunshine to take pictures. 😋

So here is the pair first. I've been looking for a pair of both intense peacock color and high luster. I love the very intense & vibrant green in this pair. The size is good for everyday wear. I wish there were less blemishes, but considering the price, I am already very happy with them! 😇

T pair, StarryPearl.jpg

Last edited:
And here is the 3rd one, a rainbow T with a fat lavender end (or top if you consider the shape as a very high button). I love rainbow-overtoned Tahitians and have collected several, but this is the only one that has a great portion of "the end of the rainbow". It's not cherry, not aubergine, not magenta. This beautiful lavender color melts my heart 💗... Luster is great, too!

This time I am sure my cell phone discounted the color. 😆
rainbow T‘, StarryPearl.jpg

rainbow T, StarryPearl.jpg

Last edited:
Just drilled the pearl and made it officially my Rainbow Pearl Pet. :p

This is probably my first ring with a dangling pearl. Cute and playful. Allows me to appreciate the beauty of the pearl from all directions. I like it.:jester:

my Rainbow Pearl Pet. StarryPearl.png

Last edited:
GORGEOUS!!!! I just LOVE IT!
Totally Erotochromatic!
And the ring idea is fantastic...how does it FEEL in your hand?

GORGEOUS!!!! I just LOVE IT!
Totally Erotochromatic!
And the ring idea is fantastic...how does it FEEL in your hand?
Thank you, Douglas.

The band itself is comfortable, while the pearl's movement is quite noticeable. It's a small distraction but I kinda like it. This "pearl pet" is really like a clingy pet who tries to attract your attention all the time. I guess I will only wear it in my leisure time.

Last edited:
Hi StarryPearl! So nice to see you again!!! Your new pearls look aboslutely stunning! So colorful with very strong personalities! I love love LOVE your rainbow pet!!!! Such a perfectly distracting ring! May I ask how big is the pearl? I just love when you can see different colors on a single pearl, it never ceases to amaze me how much color can be packed into such a small space!

And those peacocks are also something else! The color and luster are so appealing that no way anyone sees any blemishes. Beautiful!!!

Just drilled the pearl and made it officially my Rainbow Pearl Pet. :p

This is probably my first ring with a dangling pearl. Cute and playful. Allows me to appreciate the beauty of the pearl from all directions. I like it.:jester:

View attachment 470852
As long as the wearer is not a wildly gesticulating southern European it should stay in place for a while! Aside from the beautiful pearl, I am impressed by the concept of retaining visibility for the entire pearl surface. Always a pity to lose a beautiful pearl face in a setting.

Hi StarryPearl! So nice to see you again!!! Your new pearls look aboslutely stunning! So colorful with very strong personalities! I love love LOVE your rainbow pet!!!! Such a perfectly distracting ring! May I ask how big is the pearl? I just love when you can see different colors on a single pearl, it never ceases to amaze me how much color can be packed into such a small space!

And those peacocks are also something else! The color and luster are so appealing that no way anyone sees any blemishes. Beautiful!!!
Hello @eolian pearls ! Nice to see you!! Thank you for liking my Rainbow Pearl Pet! Your Tahitians on leather bracelets and necklace are mouth-drooling! Your silver keshi's are stunning! It looks like we have a shared appreciation for Tahitian colors and pearls on leather.

Sure. This Pet pearl is 9.2mm. It's indeed small. Mother nature is amazing. So is the mother shell oyster who produced this pearl!

Last edited:
As long as the wearer is not a wildly gesticulating southern European it should stay in place for a while! Aside from the beautiful pearl, I am impressed by the concept of retaining visibility for the entire pearl surface. Always a pity to lose a beautiful pearl face in a setting.
Haha, "gesticulating southern European"! I googled it and learned something new!😂

This Pet is actually quite restless, and I think that's due to the big size (for this style). I suppose this kind of ring setting is designed for smaller pearls, probably 6mm and under. Smaller pearls are much lighter in weight and have better chance to stay in place and be a "good pirl". 😜

Glad you like my thoughts on the setting. A pretty pearl wants to be seen thoroughly.

Hello @eolian pearls ! Nice to see you!! Thank you for liking my Rainbow Pearl Pet! Your Tahitians on leather bracelets and necklace are mouth-drooling! Your silver keshi's are stunning! It looks like we have a shared appreciation for Tahitian colors and pearls on leather.

Sure. This Pet pearl is 9.2mm. It's indeed small. Mother nature is amazing. So is the mother shell oyster who produced this pearl!
Yes we definitely share the love for pearls on leather on the beach!!! Lovely lovely photos!

Thank you for the info on the Pet’s size, I might have already started looking for the appropriate ring band for this style ;-) In the meantime I have tried it (on leather of course ) with one of my colorful circles, it is a bit bigger at 9,8mm but... it is such a fun design! Love it!!!!
0D52CAE0-4867-42E2-9A1C-745692F78DD7.jpeg
2FF3AE7D-08EA-4E71-A297-C46015BB280B.jpeg

Thank you, SurfnSci and Jeremy, and everyone else who clicked "like", for liking my Pet.

@eolian pearls Your circled Tahitian is so stunning and rich in color!! The circles definitely add a lot of personality! What a lovely pearl... I LOVE your idea of wrapping the leather on your finger to make it a temp ring. I was confused for a minute, haha! Hope we can see your finished ring once you find the band. : )

Since we are in the pearls-on-leather mood, I'd like to share another pearl on leather necklace that I created back in June, the month of Pearl. It's an adjustable minimal necklace ending with a CFW in the back.

This necklace has special meanings to me, and I named it after Scarlett's motto — Tomorrow Is Another Day.

This GSS with excellent luster and beautiful orient on its larger "half" is almost narrative.
With no need to speak a word and no worries for oversharing, it tells everything. :)

This pic was taken during making:
Tomorrow Is Another Day   StarryPearl.jpg

And these ones taken on the same day right after finished. Which length do you like best?
adjustable length.png

Maybe I should wear it more often.

Last edited:
And here is the 3rd one, a rainbow T with a fat lavender end (or top if you consider the shape as a very high button). I love rainbow-overtoned Tahitians and have collected several, but this is the only one that has a great portion of "the end of the rainbow". It's not cherry, not aubergine, not magenta. This beautiful lavender color melts my heart 💗... Luster is great, too!

This time I am sure my cell phone discounted the color. 😆 View attachment 470849

View attachment 470850
The rainbow T is mesmerizing.

Back