Some of Bodecia's Pearls

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

I just won this gorgeous brooch. I am hoping it is a Natural pearl but ofcourse I always hope that. A brain fixation I cannot control :eek: But regardless the workmanship is gorgeous. Would love to use it as a Pearl Enhancer too but will have to wait until it arrives to see if it is possible. If not I will get a little gold chain attached so that I can't lose it.

I think it would be worth $200 or $300 but I picked it up for a song, actually less than $50 but will get it send via EMS so all up price will be $70 which is still way cheap for it in my opinion.

Love it. Nearly stayed up all night and day (again) in case my snipe didn't go through. But in the end sense prevailed and I went to bed. :D

What do you all think of it. I adore it, love it.

Bodecia - sellers description below

Measuring 1 1/2" long and 1" wide (at its widest) it is shaped like a trumpet flower still on its stem with five scrolling leaves surrounding it and a beautiful white pearl marking its center. Incredible detail in its crafting and - I am going to repeat it - fantastic, antique gold hues in the metal make this a show stopper.

The brooch has a trombone clasp, which was common in jewelry from Europe in the 1930s-40s but was also popular in the 1890s. I am not an expert is this type of jewelry and am hesitant to suggest a more precise date.

Marked on the cap of the trombone clasp with an incised "L. C." and 12K below it the brooch weighs 5.3 grams on my jeweler's scale. Unfortunately, I have not been able to identify the maker but I have to admit I didn't try very hard. The simple way it is hallmarked, though, makes me think that it might be American?

Attachments

• goldflbrooch12.jpg
    goldflbrooch12.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 63
Hi Bo,

congratulations on your little brooch. It is real craftmanship one can see and it would be interesting to know where it was made.:)

Wow. It's lovely and very textural. Be sure to post more photos, including the back when you get it. I can't wait to see more. ;)

Oh, and Octavia approves of your taste in brooches! :D

Hi Jerin,

congratulations on your little brooch. It is real craftmanship one can see and it would be interesting to know where it was made.

Actally it is not so little :) but I do agree the craftsmanship is wonderful. I actually have a few photos of it so will post them a little later. Trying to find time to do all I need to do. I have actually set one of the photos of it as my desktop background. Now that IS wrapped. I don't normally wear brooches but do have a few regardless. This one is so lovely I will just have to show it off. Thing is I only go out once a week to do shopping so there is not many places for me to wear my pearls.

Decided to post the photos now.

Hi GemGeek,

Wow. It's lovely and very textural. Be sure to post more photos, including the back when you get it. I can't wait to see more.

Oh, and Octavia approves of your taste in brooches!

Thanks, I agree. will post more photos soon as I have lots. Now who is Octavia, your cat? I actually took photos of my baby 3 months old kitten called Cortez, with some Tahitian Keishi and SS keishi but he wouldn't stay still so it didn't turn out very well. His name is Cortez was Ratso until he decided on his name. That is because he is a blue/grey colour and he just knows I love those Cortez pearls. :D Previous Grey cats I have had were called Pearl and the other Gem. I will try and get him to stay still long enough to drape him in pearls and take a decent photo. The things we do - for love of pearls and pets.

Bo

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 83
  • goldflbrooch3aa.JPG
    goldflbrooch3aa.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 72
You are quite the hunter!

Judging from the several types of metal work deployed on the pin, it could have come out of a tidy workshop with a talented hand at the bench, not a mass-market jewelry catalog.

Wouldn't be too surprised if the pearl as natural, especially if under 6mm. 'Found a couple of small natural pearls set in old jewelry for comparable prices too... I'm not hunting much these days (it used to be a 'sport' to ward of exam stress :rolleyes: ); my favorite 'haunts' were these two websites: GoAntiques and Trocadero.

Must say though... your hand is better! Wouldn't this orchid pin be just the thing to tie down a long pearl rope? ;) And the other, silver pin you found is definitely one piece I wish I had found first...

Thanks Valeria101,

You are quite the hunter!

Judging from the several types of metal work deployed on the pin, it could have come out of a tidy workshop with a talented hand at the bench, not a mass-market jewelry catalog.

Must say though... your hand is better! Wouldn't this orchid pin be just the thing to tie down a long pearl rope? And the other, silver pin you found is definitely one piece I wish I had found first...

I agree, it is not a mass produced piece. Probably a one of by a talented hand. When I saw it I just had to have it. Talk about love at first sight. I actually found it on the same search when I found the Silver Pin/Brooch. Wanted both, greedy, that is me when it comes to pearls.

I think it could be used like an enhancer too. It would look gorgeous that way and secure all.

Thanks so much. That is a real compliment from you as I know you are pretty good at eBay buys yourself. I was just taking a break from listing and just extended my search a bit by including full descriptions. Generally that will turn up rubbish and generally just too many items including music, incense and all kinds of things but I got lucky this time.

I will post some great photos of the Silver Pin when it shows up - will that do :D

Bo

GemGeek,

Can you please send me your home address. I have just contacted the Ocean's Eleven team and they promised me they would do the heist for me. :D

What the hell is it. I know, I know it is a pearl, a SS White Huge Pearl, 37mm - right. Tell us more about it it. Where did it come from. How did you find it. Did you have to promise the Devil your soul, sell yourself on the streets :eek: - or are you one of the Ocean's Eleven gang and they are just kidding me about the heist. No, you married a millionaire. That must be it - smart for a pearl lover, I should have done that many years ago. Too late now.

I love your Abalone pearl too. That is stunning and I seriously want one. They have become one of my latest "wants", must finds, seriously driving me nuts because I haven't got one, just a small - well not too small - one will do.

Talk about pee green. You are one lucky girl, seriously lucky and so is funny, cute Octavia - thought sure it must be a cat as it is the kind of name I give my dogs and cats. When I get a decent photo of Cortez draped in pearls I will post it or even if he is just admiring them, have to sneak him in somehow. Hah.

Please tell us more about your collection with WOW factor.

Bodecia, the abalone pearl was borrowed and had to be returned, sad to say. Octavia, however, is all mine -- or maybe it's the other way around?!! :D

Hi Gemgeek,

What about the huge SS pearl. Do you still have it? How would one go about wearing it. Seems like something you would need a humified home safe for. Must be worth a fortune. Is it drilled. If it was mine I would probably just put in a jewellery box on its own and drool over it now and again. :)

Pity the Abalone is not yours. Oh well, later you may get one. I hope I will. Abalone shell I have a pearl no.

I think maybe Octavia is a modest oyster and wishes to keep a few secrets about her gorgeous giant pearl ;)

I must say I covet that broach! The coloring on the petals is just amazing, the different texturing I love too, and that precious pearl---oh, it is just too much!!!! I can't wait for you to see it in person! It will be wonderful!!

Somehow I think Octavia's pearl is not a genuine SS--it may be cruel to say that, but I suspect she got scammed somewhere along the line in her lust for something special-----------to impress Blaire-------

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye,

The colours are amazing aren't they. The texture matches a ring I have too. I love that textured handworked artisan look. I think that has a natural in it too. But check. I am so glad you covet it :D it means it is something really special. What a mean thing for me to say. :eek:

37 mm does seem rather big for a SS pearl. I think I would be bragging about it, or maybe not. Well not in an obvious way. I have been scammed before and not only is it a financial problem it is also, well a terrible blow to the ego. Down right embarressment.

Will let you know when I get it. Shouldn't be too long. I can hardly wait. Nothing new there either.

Bo

Here is a photo of my latest ebay purchase from Care Ehret. She must have recently started up working in sterling silver because there are two pieces there and I just got one! (I've been hoping she'd do something in white gold or silver *forever*.) I'm up to my eyeballs in my own jewelry work and here I am buying more pearl stuff. <sigh>
My husband just bought his mid-life crisis Mustang and I negotiated a pearl budget...so look out pearl world...woo hoo.

Attachments

• crosspendant.jpg
    crosspendant.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 75
Yes, she occasionally does do silver, I have a similar piece with turquoise and love it, also one rather like the 9mm peachy-pink pearl starburst pendant with granulation. Lucky you, they go fast! I don't recall seeing any white gold, but I could have missed a few things .;) Good for you having a Pearl Budget!!!

Pattye

just realised this probably should go over on the ebay thread or fw pearls, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Care does have some beautiful pieces. Maybe she will get more in silver in the future. I doubt if the goldsmiths she works with use white gold but silver yes. The thing about silver is you can get a really substantial piece, such as your beauty silverseajewellery without the pain in the pocket.

I can't stop buying pearls either, even though I have a lot of the darlings I cannot stop lusting after more and more. I just won two more items on eBay last night. I am a shocker. Will post their photos later, maybe on a new thread. One is a ring with so called natural pearl :p and the other is multi coloured FW pearls a long, long strand. And once again I got lucky. Plan to work with the FW pearls, designing and keep the beautiful ring. Even wear it. All of my rings are pearls except my wedding ring and a sapphire ring. But I am very careful not to hurt my darling pearl rings so I don't wear them often. Silly isn't it.

I love some of the Gold SS Keishi pearls Care has at the moment. I think a lot of us have bought from Carolyn. Think she has some beautiful Sea of Cortez pearls up at the moment too. They are out of my league although I would love them dearly.

Might just pop in one photo of my ring and see what you think of it. I love it.

But girls - can you tell me what a Budget is :D

Bo

Attachments

• OldPearlring.jpg
    OldPearlring.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 73
Hi Bo,

That is very lovely! I love the pearl of course, and the cut outs on the shank. Good sleuthing!! Guess you will have to ask silversea about the budget thingy!!

Pattye

Hi Bo,

I love that ring of yours. The pearl is great of course but I really go for the goldwork around it. BTW when replying I want to corect something I said about your brooch. I wrote "little brooch", but I wasn?t thinking in terms of size at all, it came just out wrong - because I just tried to tell you what a lovely little piece you got there. It is not that small at all and it does look just as nice as your ring.:)

Hi Jerin,

I love that ring of yours. The pearl is great of course but I really go for the goldwork around it. BTW when replying I want to corect something I said about your brooch. I wrote "little brooch", but I wasn?t thinking in terms of size at all, it came just out wrong - because I just tried to tell you what a lovely little piece you got there. It is not that small at all and it does look just as nice as your ring.

Thanks Jerin, I wouldn't have given it more than a quick glance if it wasn't for the pearl but it was the goldwork that decided me to bid on it. Because it is just so beautiful. The setting has to be right unless the pearl is so great I just want to drool over it. I do like the pearl too and live in hope that it is a natural. Seller had it listed as a natural pearl but I am not sure about that. Still it does look good and it might be. There is actually a tiny hairline crack on the shank at the back but it is really nothing but must be the reason I won it so easily & cheaply. I don't think it is even worth having repaired it is so minor that only a hugely enlarged photo would show it. The seller added the minor flaw bit late in the listing and not in the main part so I missed it but it wouldn't have put me off. Just over $70 is just a bargain for it.

I didn't take your remark about the little brooch as a slur. :) I did think maybe you mis-read the size though. The brooch is a real favourite though. I adore that and actually have the seller looking for a different kind of brooch/brooches for me. I just started collecting them a month or so ago. I hope I can wear that one as an enhancer. The FW one in Silver will be easy to use that way. Set up for it. I must stop browsing thru ebay because I always spot something I think I need - hah.

Hi pattye,

That is very lovely! I love the pearl of course, and the cut outs on the shank. Good sleuthing!! Guess you will have to ask silversea about the budget thingy!!

I am a peal sleuth for sure. Smell the little buggers out :D I go on a search, just browsing - hah - when I am fed up with listing & just need a break. But I always find something. I love the cut outs on the shank too. Much better than have diamonds stuck there. Doesn't look mass produced to me and maybe it is a one off. The seller said it was from 1910 but I am not sure about that. Regardless it is beautiful.

As for the budget thingy. I don't think I would understand how to go about it. Bit to technical for me :eek: Pearl lust is a terrible, wonderful condition but can be dangerous as I am sure most of us know.

The photo I have of the FW multi coloured pearls I won are really bad but I might list one later tonight in the FW forum. But they looked worth having just for all the colours. Won't be as good as Jeremy's Exotics but have that kind of look. Or am I just seeing what I want to see. That is always a possibility with me.

Bo

Back