'Snowman' Natural Saltwater Pearl

Can anyone help me with a design for this lovely natural pearl, which weighs 5.80ct and has already been tested by GIA?

I am thinking of something incorporating diamonds or alternatively fine coloured stones such as ruby or sapphire...

All ideas gratefully received :)

Attachments

• snowmanA.jpg
    snowmanA.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 53
I've seen that shape used to make a cat with whiskers, a bee, or an angel with halo and wings. :)

Pearl Size

Pearl Size

ONP,

What lovely luster and interesting shape! Most of us can't relate a size to the carat weight, so could you give size in mm, please? Is the back more flat than the top?

Thanks for your enquiry. The pearl is approx 12.5x8.7x8.2mm. Actually, he is rather a tubby little chap, and the back is quite similar to the front, with the 'body' being
semi-round - am happy to send more detailed pics if you were interested

Great luster! What about making it into a pendant with the top part encircled with a few fine strips of diamond encrusted gold tendrils, enhancing the top section of the pearl but leaving the bottom section to show off the untouched beauty of the pearl?

Here's a cute duck that's been on eBay for while, might give you some ideas:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231189791986

View attachment 28985

I am curious as to whether the price is mostly due to the piece being vintage or whether it is a combination of the age, materials, and rarity of the design. What kind of pearls are those? Baroque akoyas? Would anyone be able to provide an explanation of how this piece is priced, and what a jeweler could potentially quote for a custom 'replica' (in terms of the design, not strictly the materials, eg. pearl type) of this?

They could be baroque akoya pearls. I have some that have tails like that, but if they are BIG, then they would have to be freshwaters. :)

What is the definition for vintage timeframe? I see it used for a lot of things.

Well, I think there is a bluish tone that indicates akoya, though I am not experienced in akoyas with protrusions like that! Are you?

I have a baroque akoya necklace somewhere that has tails on it like that. (Not the greatest necklace) I have no idea where it is, though, or I would post a photo. :)

Of course, the tails on mine are a lot smaller. When they said baroque, I was expecting more variety in shape! :) I didn't return it because it was cheap.

Snowman Pearl Pendant

Snowman Pearl Pendant

I knew I'd seen a pearl snowman somewhere.

Here it is on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360451689985

I think it could be enhanced by a bit more color, maybe yellow gold spectacles, sapphire eyes, and a ruby scarf?

There are good pics of the construction in the auction link.

$(KGrHqF,!h8E9b4Dp72zBPjwHU6KLQ~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
Back