Silver/goldsmithing

Mervione:
Just a couple of thoughts; I had a teacher like yours once. Made me feel like an idiot in front of an entire college class for nothing. Really hurt my feelings.

Sometime later a boy from class named Tom told my family (he was dating my s-i-l) that the teacher was out of line and treated me bad for nothing. It made me feel a lot better.
Since then I've learned two things, neither of which I can do all the time:

A) Accept compliments gracefully
B) Accept criticism gracefully

If you can do those two things, you are in control of your feelings. Not the other guy, and, nobody will be able to pour cold water on your passion for, whatever you love.

I really enjoy this thread and am now looking for a silver smithing class, thanks to you. Don't give up. You are young and wonderful and life is difficult and complicated. Enjoy it!

barbie

P.S. That boy Tom is now married to my s-i-l Cindy for 25 years. We are still good friends. That mean old teacher? I've forgotten his name.

Teachers

ONE OF THE BEST TRUE STORIES I'VE EVER
> HEARD!
>
> As she stood in front of her 5th grade
> class on the very first day of school, she told the children
> an untruth. Like most teachers, she looked at her students
> and said that she loved them all the same. However, that was
> impossible, because there in the front row, slumped in his
> seat, was a little boy named Teddy Stoddard.
>
> Mrs. Thompson had watched Teddy the year
> before and noticed that he did not play well with the other
> children, that his clothes were messy and that he constantly
> needed a bath. In addition, Teddy could be unpleasant. It
> got to the point where Mrs. Thompson would actually take
> delight in marking his papers with a broad red pen, making
> bold X's and then putting a big "F" at the top
> of his papers.
>
>
>
> At the school where Mrs. Thompson taught,
> she was required to review each child's past records and
> she put Teddy's off until last. However, when she
> reviewed his file, she was in for a surprise.
>
>
>
> Teddy's first grade teacher wrote,
> "Teddy is a bright child with a ready laugh. He does
> his work neatly and has good manners... he is a joy to be
> around.."
>
>
>
> His second grade teacher wrote,
> "Teddy is an excellent student, well liked by his
> classmates, but he is troubled because his mother has a
> terminal illness and life at home must be a struggle."
>
>
>
> His third grade teacher wrote, "His
> mother's death has been hard on him. He tries to do his
> best, but his father doesn't show much interest, and his
> home life will soon affect him if some steps aren't
> taken."
>
>
>
> Teddy's fourth grade teacher wrote,
> "Teddy is withdrawn and doesn't show much interest
> in school. He doesn't have many friends and he sometimes
> sleeps in class.."
>
>
>
> By now, Mrs. Thompson realized the problem
> and she was ashamed of herself.. She felt even worse when
> her students brought her Christmas presents, wrapped in
> beautiful ribbons and bright paper, except for Teddy's.
> His present was clumsily wrapped in the heavy, brown paper
> that he got from a grocery bag. Mrs. Thompson took pains to
> open it in the middle of the other presents. Some of the
> children started to laugh when she found a rhinestone
> bracelet with some of the stones missing, and a bottle that
> was one-quarter full of perfume. But she stifled the
> children's laughter when she exclaimed how pretty the
> bracelet was, putting it on, and dabbing some of the perfume
> on her wrist. Teddy Stoddard stayed after school that day
> just long enough to say, "Mrs. Thompson, today you
> smelled just like my Mom used to."
>
>
>
> After the children left, she cried for at
> least an hour. On that very day, she quit teaching reading,
> writing and arithmetic. Instead, she began to teach
> children. Mrs. Thompson paid particular attention to Teddy.
> As she worked with him, his mind seemed to come alive. The
> more she encouraged him, the faster he responded. By the end
> of the year, Teddy had become one of the smartest children
> in the class and, despite her lie that she would love all
> the children the same, Teddy became one of her
> "teacher's pets.."
>
>
>
> A year later, she found a note under her
> door, from Teddy, telling her that she was the best teacher
> he ever had in his whole life.
>
> Six years went by before she got another
> note from Teddy.. He then wrote that he had finished high
> school, third in his class, and she was still the best
> teacher he ever had in life.
> Four years after that, she got another
> letter, saying that while things had been tough at times,
> he'd stayed in school, had stuck with it, and would soon
> graduate from college with the highest of honours. He
> assured Mrs. Thompson that she was still the best and
> favourite teacher he had ever had in his whole life.
>
>
> Then four more years passed and yet another
> letter came. This time he explained that after he got his
> bachelor's degree, he decided to go a little further.
> The letter explained that she was still the best and
> favourite teacher he ever had. But now his name was a little
> longer.... The letter was signed, Theodore F. Stoddard, MD.
>
> The story does not end there. You see,
> there was yet another letter that spring. Teddy said he had
> met this girl and was going to be married. He explained that
> his father had died a couple of years ago and he was
> wondering if Mrs. Thompson might agree to sit at the wedding
> in the place that was usually reserved for the mother of the
> groom. Of course, Mrs. Thompson did. And guess what? She
> wore that bracelet, the one with several rhinestones
> missing. Moreover, she made sure she was wearing the perfume
> that Teddy remembered his mother wearing on their last
> Christmas together.
>
> They hugged each other, and Dr. Stoddard
> whispered in Mrs. Thompson's ear, "Thank you Mrs.
> Thompson for believing in me. Thank you so much for making
> me feel important and showing me that I could make a
> difference."
>
>
> Mrs. Thompson, with tears in her eyes,
> whispered back. She said, "Teddy, you have it all
> wrong. You were the one who taught me that I could make a
> difference. I didn't know how to teach until I met
> you."
>
>
> (For you that don't know, Teddy
> Stoddard is the Dr. at Iowa Methodist in Des Moines that has
> the Stoddard Cancer Wing.)

It doesn't fit the situation. But I like the story.
>
>
>
>

Last edited:
Can I suggest that instead of interrupting the class - 'I don?t respect that he wont give me a reciep for the course, unless I nag a lot during the lesson time when I?m supposed to learn. A company is paying for this course and they need a reciep..'
you wait until the end of the class to ask for the receipt. If you nag the tutor all through the class for paperwork you are being very disruptive for all your class mates.

Pearlescence:

That was exactly what I did last time, but it seemed like he just wanted to go home as quickly as possible so he said: "Can we take care of that next time?"

Mervione, tomorrow I will send you a PM and share with you some of the difficulties and frustrations that I encountered when I first started learning to make jewelry........ and what I did to solve some of those issues. I can't do it now because I am going out with my husband. So check your PM's tomorrow and I hope you feel better after you read what I write. :) (Remember that there is time difference between NY & Sweden but a PM will come.)

Gail

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to post a little in this thread anyway, to keep it updated.

Last time I was at the course we kept making the wire thinner, using some sort of plate with holes in and a special plier. No idea what it?s called in English. I broke off a tiny bit off my wire because I pulled it once through the wrong hole, but it went well despite this. The last few minutes of the course I spent hammering my silver pendant that I sawed and filed the other times. I hammered it on one side, and it was almost done with I got the stupid idea that I?d look nice if the other side was hammered as well. So I started hammering the other side and when I was halfway done with it I turned the pendant so I could see the other side. Guess what? The metal was all flat and smooth on the half I hammered on at the other side. What a silly mistake, at least I learned from it.

This time I started to form the links to the chain bracelet. I stressed myself through it because I wanted it done, done and done this time. The result? Pretty much a mess. I thought it was fine because does it really matter if the links are a bit of a triangle shape (they were supposed to be a bit like rectangles.)? I thought it?d give the bracelet some character and uniqueness. My teacher wanted me to "sort them out", though. I guess that?s a good idea even if it made me frown a bit in my thoughts, because I should learn how to make straight and neat links, learn how to make the metal form after my ideas, not let my ideas form after the mistakes I do.

Since I have a plier at home I decided to work with my pendant instead, because I could work at the links at home. I hammered the pendant and then soldered some on it (Well, he soldered because I was afraid I`d do some kind of mistakes. Never, ever soldered before. Same old, silly fear.). He putted it in the pickle type substance and then in some sort of barrel that polish it. It?ll be done next time.

My fingers? They are full with blisters.

Last edited:
Poor Mervione's blistered fingers! Ack! Unfortunately, that's how you're expected to learn. :)

I've just gotten back from my second class, it's been so much fun! Our teacher's great and there's only about 8 students so we end up with a lot of one on one time. The first class was mostly demonstrations (sawing, soldering, filing, hammering, etc.) and we all got a little piece of brass to practice our sawing. We also had time for some general questions in the first session. Today I practiced my sawing some more and I actually started to like it. The hardest part is that my left hand (my non-dominant hand would get kind of sore and my left arm would feel shaking from the pressure I was using to hold down the brass. It wasn't so bad this session and I was focusing so much on my left arm that I was able keep my sawing hand nice and relaxed. I also started soldering tonight and it was a little tricky at first (I'm doing some jump rings for a set of chainmail earrings) but once I got the hang of placing the solder and handling the torch it was so fun making things melt! I had trouble remembering what to do from the last session so my teacher walked me through the first few jump rings and using the flux properly. The class is 3 hours and I really didn't want to leave at the end of the night. I'm so tempted to run out and buy a little torch and solder and all the other little tools you need but I'm restraining myself (for now). My wallet's pretty greatful for it too I think. ;) Once I finish my earrings I'm going to fix a little crane I made out of art clay silver (I broke it when I was playing with the wings) and work on a couple of rings.

I forgot to add, our teacher gave us a great packet of notes for beginners and it has a ton of information and suppliers in the UK

Last edited:
Hi Borah

Glad I'm not the only new one here to smithing. If the first class was a demonstration of all those techniques, surely you didn't get to work much? Or see much of each either. I like the fact you got to practice with brass, though, much cheaper than silver. Did you do anything with the brass piece you sawed, or was that purely for practicing? My silver pendant I sawed got finished last time, it is not exactly great but I can probably get away with using it. It was a bit weird, when I took it from the polishing thumbler it was more matte then when I putted it in, so I just sneaked away from the soldering to hammer it a bit, it got more shiny that way.

I really recognize the handproblems from the sawing, it really hurts, doesn't it?

I soldered for the first time in Wednesday, too. It was really funny but 12 persons sharing one torch isn't ideal so we all had to wait a lot for our turn. It was a bit tricky and a soldered one joint completely wrong so I have to redo it. I can still see a gap on most links so I guess for the next time I should clean them before trying again with more solder to fill it up, not sure what was the problem, but since the solder didn't fill the gap I guess I need more of it but apparantly it's really important that the pieces are clean before soldering, and strangely enough we didn't do that last time. It can't hurt.

Oh, and I think we'll start on making a ring when we're done with the bracelet... Our teacher have a love for square rings so we are going to do one of those, which is nice because they seem more complicated to make than "normal", round rings. Means you'll learn more.

Bought a sawframe the other day and going to buy a little handtorch when I get home from England so I can solder on my own. Can't wait!

As for having trouble remembering what your teacher have said, take notes! Our teacher is quite stern with that but it does help. Only problem is that you have to write really quickly unless she or he takes pauses... And you need to actually listen and look as well, so try to only note things that seem really important, and leave out things you already know.

Gotten back from yet another lesson. Guess what? Finally (!) finished my bracelet! I`m very surprised by how well it turned out, it looks like a professional have done it, rather than a newbie, and that?s before it went into the polishing thumbler...

I`m so excited about going there next week and take it out of the thumbler...

When looking back at it I think the bracelet was a bit out of our league because all of us had some problems with at least one of the things you have to do in the process of making it. I think it might perhaps be better to start with doing just a couple of nice round links that you form and use as earrings, instead of something like this. But after I`ve now reconsider it for 10 seconds I feel it was great practice and a good way of learning.

It took us 5 lessons to make it. 3 hours each. A lot of it including waiting for your turn of a certain tool but it still took a lot of time. I learned lots of basic technniques in it and got better at the ones I already know.

For next time, we?ll pretty much be able to suggest something to make. I`m thinking of making a ring! Any suggestions? Don?t include any stonesettings.

Well my first class I'd say we saw a lot, but didn't do much. I'd started a silversmithing course once before anad we went over the same basics in the first class a couple of weeks ago that I was taught at the beginning of my old course. The brass was just for practice but I made a little hill shape and a cityscape (we were to practice rounded edges and angles) and I'm going to solder them together and use them in a mixed media piece.

For soldering I don't think it's supposed to be used to fill gaps. My first teacher definitely made some mention of that, it hasn't come up in this class. I had some trouble in class today because the ends of my jump rings weren't touching for some of them and I had to re-do them. I also couldn't cut the solder but that might have been more to do the snips than skill (hopefully). I finally finished a pair of earrings that I'm going to post a picture of when I get some time and started work on another pair of earrings and a pendant (I would switch off between working with the torch and working at the bench when other people were using the torches). I'm planning a ring and a bracelet with cabochons for the next few sessions. My teacher's said that setting cabochons can be tricky but isn't undoable so I'll give it a shot.

I haven't bother with notes mostly because I'd say most of what's being said can be found online and I'd rather watch than take notes. For things like watching the solder and knowing when to take the flame off, or guiding the solder with the torch you can read how it's described or from notes but I think it's better to watch. Same for annealing when you're worried about completely melting a piece I'd rather see the color it's supposed to go to than take notes or read that I should wait for it to be cherry red (especially since everyone else's cherry red just looks hot pink to me). I haven't actually had that much trouble remembering how to do things, so far so good. And my teacher's been a really good sport about repeating things to everyone in class if need be. We are beginners after all. ;)

Hi Borah, glad to hear your news.

As for soldering, I`m pretty sure it is supposed to fill gaps, because the solder have a capilary action when it flows, and it flows into the gaps, however the gaps can?t be too big or the solder wont flow into them. Maybe that was because I could still see the gap but I managed to sort it I think. It might be because I had a pretty nasty cold when I went to the course but it looked like there was no gaps to me, it just looked all nice and smooth.

I looked at a finished bracelet as well that someone else had made, and you couldn?t see the gaps in most of the links. I just think you have to fit the links very, very well when you solder so the solder will flow properly into the gaps. I think it?s just great that solder do fill the gaps, or else you?d have to weld I think to make it look nice, smooth and neat.

However, I`m just a beginner. (I still think your first teacher meant that solder isn?t supposed to fill large gaps, rather than fill really tiny gaps if that makes sense?)

It sounds great about you going to try to set cabochons. I might bring one of my books with my that?s showing how to set it and ask if I can try it out. Maybe he?ll change his mind...

I agree it?s best to watch some things, like the colour. I think it all just depends on how you learn the easiest, by people showing you or by pure facts. I think a combination does it for me.

By the way, anyone have any idea how to make 3 dimensional shapes without casting? Like, let?s say a cat?s head. You can?t just a round ball, it should be triangular... You can probably file to shape it but wouldn?t that waste lots of silver/gold?

Solder is for making joints, not for filling gaps.
Here, if too much solder is used a piece will not come up to proof and will be smashed at the Assay office.
Your two edges to be joined should be touching all along with no gaps, voids or spaces.
Just the same as glueing.
Setting stones, either cabs or faceted in claws/prongs is one of those things that either goes very right or very wrong while you are learning. Good luck

For three dimensional shapes see this artist's work LINK. She hammers, believe it or not, and otherwise finishes her pieces by hand. They are beautiful.

In larger scale metal work I learned that heating the two pieces of metal and the subsequent capillary flow of metal into the tiny space between 'braising.' This sounds similar, on a technical level to the soldering Mervione describes. It takes a lot of practice but can make really beautiful joints if you capitalize on different metals used. It is true that one never uses solder to fill an explicit gap, though. Nor do you do this in welding.

Last edited:
Heidi,

Thanks for posting the lovely website! She has some gorgeous items!

Mervione, glad you are persevering and enjoying your class.

Back