Sea of Cortez fan club

Wow! You've got some lovely pearls there......Happy designing! I am looking forward to seeing more photos.

More photos?
Here is a setting prepared with 2 buttons, 4 drops and the 2 biggest ones.
The shine and colors of the button ones are incredible, though I cannot catch the beauty as well as Douglas does :(

Attachments

• P1180103.jpg
    P1180103.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 59
  • P1170995.jpg
    P1170995.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 53
I love the ones with the black and gray diamonds. The black brings out the fiercest of the colors and the gray are more dreamy and soft. I also like the wildness of the uncarved stones, though each pairing brings out something different in the pearls. The orange were a surprise. I did not realize orange could be brought out in those pearls!

I love the ones with the black and gray diamonds. The black brings out the fiercest of the colors and the gray are more dreamy and soft. I also like the wildness of the uncarved stones, though each pairing brings out something different in the pearls. The orange were a surprise. I did not realize orange could be brought out in those pearls!

I totally agree with Caitlin! I think the duller colors and finish of the black or grey rough diamonds would bring out the best in those silky smooth colorful beauties.

Sheri

What lovely pearls, Anna! Like Sheri and Caitlin, I think that the rough diamonds really look great with the pearls. I actually have a 15mm Tahitian pearl on a necklace with black rough diamonds. I like the combination a lot. With the colors you have on these, it would be fantastic.

Thank you so much for advising, it is very helpful :)
I though that the cat's eyes rondels would get some success, but they did not :confused:
Besides , see same sapphires beads with Josh's pearls, that's a lot better you are right !

Attachments

• P1170253.jpg
    P1170253.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 68
Wow! Those are great photos of some amazing Keshi!!! ;)
Just came back to Guaymas after the Pearl Ruckus so I have been out of tune to make comments, but these keshi were the best of the best: collected since the year 2000 and were less than 60 grams of these quality.
CliClasp has good taste indeed...

Ohhh, you make me want to start making a strand. I did get a start on it, purchasing my first Cortez's from Douglas at the Ruckus. Unfortunately, most of them will be seeking new homes. I will keep one big one, and hopefully a couple of keishis. But that's a long way from a strand, you lucky girls! The first one was actually taken with a telephoto from about 4 ft. away. All of the pics washed down because of the PG photo requirements. :(

Attachments

• sea1.jpg
    sea1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 53
  • sea3.jpg
    sea3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 66
  • sea4.jpg
    sea4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 54
  • sea5.jpg
    sea5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 59
  • sea6.jpg
    sea6.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 57
Here are the keishis and some different shots of the others. The larger ones are about 10+mm.

Attachments

• IMGP3730.jpg
    IMGP3730.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 44
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMGP3715.jpg
    IMGP3715.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP3718.jpg
    IMGP3718.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP3721.jpg
    IMGP3721.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 53
Cortez pearls are truly a wonder to behold in person. I've put them on my wish list!

I see all of her text as follows, post # 29:

"Ohhh, you make me want to start making a strand. I did get a start on it, purchasing my first Cortez's from Douglas at the Ruckus. Unfortunately, most of them will be seeking new homes. I will keep one big one, and hopefully a couple of keishis. But that's a long way from a strand, you lucky girls! The first one was actually taken with a telephoto from about 4 ft. away. All of the pics washed down because of the PG photo requirements."

Post # 30: "Here are the keishis and some different shots of the others. The larger ones are about 10+mm."

Can you see what I cut and pasted above?

Sheryl - gorgeous pearls, lucky you! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Anna - I agree with Sheri and Caitlin - my strong preference for your SofC is for the grey rough diamonds - I think the flat colour really brings out the rainbow quality of the pearls...
Pattye - I am in awe of your gorgeous strand - I know I have seen it in person, and it is just absolutely breathtaking.

My baroque strand (34 inches) is gray-taupe with overtones of pink, rose, aqua, purple and more, but like the naughty child that refuses to smile for the camera, barely shows the true colors here that are so fascinating about Sea of Cortez pearls----

34" that's incredible !
I agree that it is very difficult to catch beauty of Sea of Cortez pearls in photos, Douglas knows how to, he knows a lot about ;)

I see all of her text as follows, post # 29:

"Ohhh, you make me want to start making a strand. I did get a start on it, purchasing my first Cortez's from Douglas at the Ruckus. Unfortunately, most of them will be seeking new homes. I will keep one big one, and hopefully a couple of keishis. But that's a long way from a strand, you lucky girls! The first one was actually taken with a telephoto from about 4 ft. away. All of the pics washed down because of the PG photo requirements."

Post # 30: "Here are the keishis and some different shots of the others. The larger ones are about 10+mm."

Can you see what I cut and pasted above?

Thanks! For some reason, my home computer doesn't always show photos and the text is cutting off on Sheryl's posts. It also does some strange things with sound files. It's a new computer, but I think I'm going to give it to Mom and get another. ;)

Douglas McLaurin in his blog http://www.perlas.com.mx/blog/?tag=fair-trade-gems describes the challenge of composing a strand of Cortez Pearls, provides photos of the "Special Strand" Bicentennial 2010 and more fascinating information.

Douglas also corrected my previous estimate of number of Cortez Pearl strands ( including baroque strands such as mine) produced by Cortez Pearls to be approximately 20, from 2000 to date, including the 2010 harvest.

Douglas' blog is a delight to read, don't miss it!

Carolyn Ehret is an esteemed designer and member of this forum. With her husband Peter, she is one of only 2 authorized distributors of Cortez Pearls in the United States. Carolyn says to date she has sold approximately 48 full strands and at least 60 bracelets.

The Ehrets certainly qualify as being first and foremost members of the Cortez Pearls fan club!

UPDATE: Carolyn contacted Enrique earlier this month, Enrique being one of the partners with Douglas at Sea of Cortez Pearls, reporting this official count that "they have made a total of 52 strands, plus the 8 round perfect strands, of these we have purchased 15. So in all there are just under 100 in existence."

Likely the other (33) strands the Ehrets have sold were matched and drilled by them from baroque pearl lots.

Many thanks, Carolyn, for helping to clarify this.

Last edited:
I am one of the fortunate that has an 18" strand from Carolyn Ehret. It has her signature gold clasp and the gold bead spacer between each pearl. It is my go to piece most days.I love it.

Back