Round or Baroque/Circle or Both?

Haha, Sueki -me too - I want them all - round, circled, baroque, colored etc. etc... and I definitely have different pearls for different moods and occasions.

No, I don't like all of them.

I don't like pronounced drops in strands.
I don't like just grey or green pearls (both baroque or round) without overtones, even if they are perfect in quality.
I have big round Tahitians (relatively cheap because of blemishes but size, 13-15mm, is impressive). But they are less fun than 36 inches of small circled baroques with surprising colours.
But I am dreaming of one, perfect, round and colourful pearl for a pendant. She is growing somewhere for me.
I saw on a picture of VoP-Munich an exotic baroque in a form of a camel, about 16x22 mm, fascinating colours and luster, but if I have to choose, I would also go for one smaller but perfect round pearl.

I read something someone had written on here recently about round versus baroque in the larger sizes and how now that there are shell pearls, anyone can have very large round perfect "pearls" (fake) that look an awful lot like the real thing to the untrained eye...... I personally love the very deeply circled baroques (I know circl?s are technically not baroques but everyone seems to refer to them that way so I do too) without pointed (drops) or elongated ends (gourd shape). I love the darkest body colours and lots of different colour overtones on them (the oil slick!!). I am a goth chick (lots of tattoos, black hair, black clothes) They are just more my style than round pearls. Although yeah, a Wilma Flintstone necklace made of REAL Tahitians would be my dream! (I have a black/green shell pearl necklace - the biggest ones I could find - they're 16mm - they're hilarious - I love 'em) Make that out of REAL pearls and I'd be a very happy woman..... sigh.....

Hi crew, I thought some pics to go along with this discussion might be in order. The first is an "A" lot of rounds.
collectionrounds410.jpg

The next is an A/B lot of circles:
cercleeAB411.jpg

And the last is a bomber 12.5 - 15.5 absolute A grade round multicolor strand:
12-5-15-5mm412.jpg

I'm with Susan, coming from the school that there is a pearl for every occasion but I appreciate that Olga has her own ideas.

As always, Josh, your photos cause a renewed case of the "wanties" to set in!!

Hi Josh,
Thank you for the lovely pictures. The round pearls have lots of nice overtones. Personally, I don't like the copper ones, though. Those blue and greenish ones with purple overtones are amazing. They are lustrous too. I also like the circles. So my answer is round and circles for different moods and occasions. I am greedy. :D

I prefer the pearl colors in the first picture rather than the bomber strand. Some pearls on the bomber strand are darker, but the overall theme is pastel. I think on the neck, the strand looks darker and it would be stunning. It is perfect for spring/summer nights. And a strand of the pearls in the first pictures is great for fall/winter.

Oh no... I should not look at those pictures before going to bed... it's a pure seduction, it is not fair... Josh, this is cruel ;)

And about the bomber strand: I have an impression that this is just the quality of the whole picture, not the colour of pearls. A little bit less light (or more contrast) and they will be the same as on the first photo. Am I wrong?

I am not a fan of multicolours, however, that IS a very nice strand indeed! :D

The colours on the A/B circles are just amazing, and I would love to have a charm bracelet made with them like Jeremy's Loot bracelet :)

Of the A lot round, I would love to have all the ones that are not brown/bronze/gold :D As full strands, short and long, or a double rope Tin Cup necklace :D

DK :)

I changed my mind. If price is no object, I want some gem quality, perfectly round Cortez pearls.. there is one STUNNING bracelet on ebay from Druzy that is a deep, deep purple... OMG! So gorgeous!! I want some Cortez pearls next chance I get!

Josh,
As usual, your photos of Tahitian rounds in those fabulous colors makes me feel like I could never get enough of them. I love the circle pearls as well, but there's something about the colors in those those rounds...:D

Thanks everyone for all that niceness. Olga, the quality of the big strand is the same as the round lot but the color is the big difference here. I'm in love with color no matter what it might be and let me tell you, you have to produce A LOT of pearls to pull together a small lot of rounds like that. Callire, I agree about those amazing Cortez pearls. They are incredible and Douglas and his crew certainly deserve the support. He tells me that they have been hit hard by the issues in the American economy.

Ditto the Cortez pearls ... I am a big fan of intensely colored pearls, especially peacocks. It would be a dream come true to have a gem quality multicolored strand. I'm not too fussed about size - 9-10mm would do it for me.

Hi Josh

and thanks for the stunning pearl photos. If I had the money the perfectly round strand would be my choice but the middle pearl in the second photo and the one on the left in the first photo (BLUE) wo?ld be nice as replacements too...

Some Josh keishis for Nathan.....:)

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 0004.jpg