pearl guide updates*

Jeremy, I was in the last months collecting data for two articles, one about pearls and women in power (US, Europe, Asia), and the second one generally explaining the new wave of interest in pearls (changes in production - distribution - consumption). If it can be of some help for your project, give me a shout.

Olga

please PM me if you notice any bugs, broken links etc.

Wow, this all sounds so exciting ... Thank you everyone for the effort! Looking forward to all the information and more pictures!

thanks for the help with the bugs guys! As you might have noticed we've added social bookmarking so I want to ask if there any that you'd like to see added.

Also RSS feeds of the various forums should be available soon.

*still more surprises coming :D

I hope we will get a clear explanation of how all that works! I have never heard of social bookmarking before! Nor heard some of that terminology either-------------so thanks in advance for cluing me in!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

To give you an idea, Pearl-Guide.com is a type of social network. As is Facebook and MySpace.

Social networks do different things. Some, like delicious, collect bookmarks which people can share amongst others who have a similar interest or are just connected through the social network. If someone who is a member of Digg, for example, happens upon a post on PG (which happens about 100 times per day) and likes what the post says, he or she may "digg" it which loads the post onto the Digg network. If other people find it of interest as well they may "digg" it as well, from the Digg network. It can go from there to blogs, RSS feeds, news sites, etc.

If members here use one or more of the networks they can tag specific posts of interest and categorize them in their own way. Sort of like creating a bookmark with IE or safari. The only difference is that the information is stored on the Internet (shared or not) and not on their computer. I do this quite often as I have private (not shared publicly) accounts at my office, on my laptop, and on my home computer. I keep the same bookmarks on each one via social tags, and I only have to tag things once.

This is just a small part of it I know. There is a lot more to it as each of the social networks are different and I only use a couple of them. Our plan is to display the icons and then monitor whether or not they are used. Those that are have an added value to people here. Those that are not used do not. But the only way to really find out whether or not people will use them is to put them on the posts.

I recommend playing around with one. I really like "delicious" personally. Sites that are "tagged" show other "taggers", or other people who have bookmarked them. They are usually categorized within a single subject (like pearls, for example) and their tags lead to articles and pages I may have not seen before. I have found some really great sites and articles that way.

Oh, and yes. Millions of people use these tags, especially the more popular ones. Most blogs have them embedded now as well.

I just figured out how to use this avatar thing in the profile as well. This is fun. I know my current avatar is not very creative, but it is almost 11:00 p.m. here and I should be going home anyway!

I just figured out how to use this avatar thing in the profile as well. This is fun. I know my current avatar is not very creative, but it is almost 11:00 p.m. here and I should be going home anyway!

Jeremy,
explanations please!

What if I want to bookmark a post just because being able to look it up at a moment? Which one should I choose then?

Is the user name and password the same as for the forum when going into one the new places?:confused:

:D

Just click on "profile" at the top when signed in and then on the link to edit avatar. This will allow you to upload a picture that will appear next to your user name. The file size must be just right which is a pain. I had to play with it a bit to get it right. But it works!

With social network sites like delicious (del.icio.us), you need to sign up for an account. It is free. Then just start "tagging" Web sites and articles you like and you will be able to see who else liked those articles and sites and what other sites those people have found interesting. If you use it just for yourself you can create your own specific topic tags and organize your favorite links. That can be forum posts, Web sites, articles or just about anything!

Last edited:
I saw your avatar so I put mine back up. It was painted by my daughter Zoe. I can't decide if it is Tahitain, Bay of Cortez, or dyed freshwater :D

Didja see smeltzer's? Nice.

Battle of the avatars?

Steve's ab/pipi pin, front and center!

Heavens Above !
Two minutes ago I'd never heard of an avatar.
And now.....
Thanks so much to all you who've worked tirelessly on this forum.
I really do learn something new every day.

avatars - all the cool kids are doing it.

Caitlin - I vote cortez for your daughters painting.

How does one shrink a photo down to 80x80? I went into iPhoto to try but there doesn't seem to be a way-- or I just don't know how.

There is a drop down menu (perhaps called "image" or something similar) in your photo program.

When you click on it it will give you a choice: "rotate" "resize" and more. pick resize.
When you get the drop down box, choose pixels instead of inches and type in 80.

If your image is square, it will resize both to 80 pixels. If it is wider than long type 80 into the longer side, and the shorter side will be ok.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
p

p

I thought I saw the avatar icon or link either yesterday or the day before. But I don't see it now. When I click on my profile and edit profile, I don't see any avatar link or button.

Thanks in advance to any help.

That's what I did, but even using the custom sizing I can't seem to get it smaller than 2448 X 2448 ...this is not my forte!

Back