Pearl and Gemstones

I was considering making it just the pearl and the ring, but the pearl was fairly small for my taste (~8.5mm, PSS?) so I had to put something in there. I might try a matte ring next time, thank you for the suggestion <3

Thanks guys I am planning to try out different types of gem stone with this design soon. Maybe raw amethyst? Raw citrine? A slice of geode? I gotta dig up my old rock collection!

Hi, nnguye20!
Have you found your solution?
I have made a tour of my own rock collection, to try a view for your jewel.
Maybe a very little (present quartz is too much big, I feel) tip of amethyst crystal, angle towards back... But the best, in my mind, would be a little natural gold nugget.
Please, don't break me up!;)

Last edited:
Hi ericw! Unfortunately, I haven't found new stones yet because I didn't really have time :( I really like your idea of pairing it with gold nugget! The shades really compliment each other. Also, the SoC looks pretty good with golden south sea. Maybe I can substitute the stones with baroque GSSP, or maybe the goldfish pearl I had. Oh so many choices! I feel like the pearl can go with many types of gem stone actually. I just dont have enough raw stone sources to test it out unfortunately.

Attachments

• 20180502_220129.jpg
    20180502_220129.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 64
Nngyue, sorry my post was misleading. I didn't buy those earrings ... I'm just hoping to see the finished pieces ;)

I agree that your gorgeous SoC looks fantastic with the SSP. Personally I'd probably look for a cool-toned green-blue-violet gem to accompany it, fluorite colours? Fancy parti sapphire? Purpleish blue kornerupine? I love tonal-matching gem/pearl pairs so much. But there are soooo many options really!

Hi ericw! Unfortunately, I haven't found new stones yet because I didn't really have time :( I really like your idea of pairing it with gold nugget! The shades really compliment each other. Also, the SoC looks pretty good with golden south sea. Maybe I can substitute the stones with baroque GSSP, or maybe the goldfish pearl I had. Oh so many choices! I feel like the pearl can go with many types of gem stone actually. I just dont have enough raw stone sources to test it out unfortunately.

nnguye20, sure GSSP looks good with SoC : the complementary colour of gold is exactly this SoC colour!
I have not yet found a piece of amethyst I have and which I would want to show you. It's this kind of crystal keeping a long root behind the tip of crystal, like a tooth, when separated from geode. This raw stone have naturally the right shape for pendant setting. Even I think they are called amethyst roots, in the shops.

Morella and Ericw thank you so much for giving me so many great ideas! I'm really tempted to pair my pearls with blue-green flourite, ametrine, citrine or moonstone. I can easily buy amethyst and citrine, but at the moment I havent found a good source for ametrine and flourite yet. I'm also thinking about making the gemstones part into detachable pendant (using spingring or lobster clasp as bail) so I can change the look of the necklace as I please (and experience with more gemstones).
Here's a photo of my SoC with citrine and amethyst points. Not decided yet I just put them close together to test the color combination.

Attachments

• IMG_20180504_145536_881.jpg
    IMG_20180504_145536_881.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
nnguye20, I think both the amethyst AND the citrine crystal points look marvelous with your pearls, and really compliment the color of the SOC pearl! If you make it detachable as you mentioned, you can have both, and change off depending on what color clothing you're wearing at the time :)

nnguye20, finally, I have found one of pieces of stone I have talked to you (I had given it as a gift for my wife, but I didn't remember that:rolleyes:). Unfortunatly, not the amethyst one, but citrine. These crystals are obtained breaking geodes by a special impact ( with wood or bone tool), to keep this look of tooth, and are often small : this one is 1" lenght, but they are usually deep coloured. Right to be set at the end of a pendant like yours.
Be careful : flourite (fluorite?) is a fragile stone and not at all hard.
citrine.jpg

Last edited:
Ericw, that's citrine tooth is so pretty! Luckily there's a place in my town that sells rough citrine and amethyst, so finding a drilled amethyst or citrine for me is not a problem. unfortunately they don't sell pricier stones like fluorite or garnet, so I have to look up online for vendors. Maybe I'll try my luck at a gem show, I've never been to one tho. Hopefully I can find a vendor that also drill the stones, since I don't have a drilling machine.
Btw, I went out to see a movie tonight and was really inspired by it, so I roughly photoshopped the colored gemstones that I want to try out. Can you guess the movie lol? :p

Attachments

• thanos pearl.jpg
    thanos pearl.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
nnguye20, there are lots of vendors of fluorite/rainbow fluorite crystal points on Etsy. The colors vary. I see some top-drilled points and also points already set in metal findings to be used as pendants, and many are quite inexpensive.

nnguye20, what a space pearl's opera! Imperial topaz (I think), looks nice with your pearl.
Sure, it's not easy to drill such hard stones. The machine to make that is very special, expensive, working with ultrasounds and diamond tips.
I have several coloured stones myself, several pounds exactly, but I can't drill them, too.

Love your collage! How cool would it be to have this in high quality printed out as a poster!?

Thank you Morella! I think I may use this as my laptop wallpaper, but not poster. This is just for fun lol I just saw the Avengers and couldn't help it. :p

nnguye20, what a space pearl's opera! Imperial topaz (I think), looks nice with your pearl.
Sure, it's not easy to drill such hard stones. The machine to make that is very special, expensive, working with ultrasounds and diamond tips.
I have several coloured stones myself, several pounds exactly, but I can't drill them, too.

Ericw, yes that is imperial topaz, I just put it in there to see how the combination with yellow-orange stones would look. the rest of the stones are fluorite, citrine, emerald, amethyst and garnet. To be honest I'm just doing this for fun, I still prefer the clear quartz/citrine/fluorite combinations. Just keep it simple, I guess.

Hi guys! I'm very excited to show off my freshest gemstone&pearl project. Fijian keshis and tourmalines. Sand and Sea.
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 18.05.17.jpg

The components:
earrings.jpg

Last edited:
Wow love those! Can't wait to see more photos of those gorgeous earrings! Where did you source the keshi for them? Fiji keshi are on my wish list ;)

Back