Natural pearls value

Well I've been to Christies today and they told me there is no point to auction my pearls at all cause I wont have a sale. The person even told me that I would be wasting my money having them tested..... I think this is when i give up. I dont really know where else I could go... If I have them tested and they come back as natural I would not be getting more then ?1000 for them. Think its better I keep the set as it is.

Well i do ware the ring but not the necklace... thats why i wanted to sell it.
Anyhow.... guess its better to keep it then sell it at such low price.
They all confirmed its perfectly matched but the pearls are small

anyone of you knows collector interested in my piece?
worth to ask i guess :)

I have added a photo album to my profile to begin to show some of the pearls that I have and am curious about. I am having trouble finding "Vintage" or "Antique Pearls" Discussion. Would someone please direct me?

Last edited:
Since the demise of the Gem-A Testing Laboratory in London a couple of years ago, options for the certification of natural pearls in the UK are extremely limited. However I understand that the Assay Office, both in Birmingham and London, will test and certfiy pearls, so this I think is your best bet. In any case, Mark Bowis - head of Jewellery at Christies South Kensington - has years of experience with pearls and should be able to arrange certification and testing on your behalf if that is your wish. But bearing in mind the huge cost of this - I would guess several hundreds of pounds - I would advise you to take Christies advice as to what your pearls are : if they recommend certification as a strategy to get you a higher price then all well and good, but see what they say first

Well I've been to Christies today and they told me there is no point to auction my pearls at all cause I wont have a sale. The person even told me that I would be wasting my money having them tested..... I think this is when i give up. I dont really know where else I could go... If I have them tested and they come back as natural I would not be getting more then ?1000 for them. Think its better I keep the set as it is.

Apologies for my last post which somehow arrived a day late : you could always try to go to Grays Antiques Market in London (Davies Street just off Oxford Street) - there are numerous antique and estate jewellery dealers there, and you may find someone willing to give you a better offer (and of course, without the auction house's usurious commission!)

I have added a photo album to my profile to begin to show some of the pearls that I have and am curious about. I am having trouble finding "Vintage" or "Antique Pearls" Discussion. Would someone please direct me?

Look under Natural pearls and Show us your pearls. You can search for those terms (vintage and antique) also.

Hello, I've been away for a while but just read your posts.
Only natural pearls thanks a lot for giving me advise and I will try and go to Grays antiques market in London.
I must say I was a bit surprised with christies, only because the girl who looked at my pearls seem to be very young and didnt even suggest testing....
I noticed pearls are well back into fashion in london, also harrods offering huge range of pearls.

Back