French Bullion Wire

Just another hint, you can open up gimp that is too skinny, by coaxing it over a needle that is a little bigger. The pointy end of a needle is tapered, which helps. Also, the reverse works, wind too big gimp around a smaller needle (or pin or anything the correct diameter) just apply a little pressure as you roll the needle. I can sometimes even smooth out kinks & crushed colis on a needle too.
(Now I am wondering why on earth I even try to do this...to save 3mm of the fiddly stuff...)

(Now I am wondering why on earth I even try to do this...to save 3mm of the fiddly stuff...)

That's what I was thinking when I read the post. Good idea though if you're stuck on a desert island with a treasure trove of Kamokas, no electricity, and the wrong size gimp.

I did try making my own with 28 gauge wire. It looked really good, but when I tried to use it, it separated too much. I used the tiniest needle to wind it. Think the gimp is maybe flat wire? Or mine just wasn't small enough.

I want to make this work! If anyone has smaller gauge wire, please try it and let us all know what size and how it worked!

Last edited:

You obviously have dexterous hands that can work teeny, tiny. I bet you get satisfaction when you get it the way you want it. That's enough reward to repeat it or similar action, at least to conquer the problem even if you don't always do it.

That's what I was thinking when I read the post. Good idea though if you're stuck on a desert island with a treasure trove of Kamokas, no electricity, and the wrong size gimp.
I'm so glad this is not a stuffy, serious froum, and that we can all have a chuckle at ourselves.
I am so silly sometimes.

It is useful, when you have those moments... usually at 3am, when you just want to get the silly strand finished...on a desert island... no pearl gimp delivery service available...
Oh alright, there is no justification, just one of those useless skills I have.

I have to say I don't think I have the fine motor skills required to make gimp. Heck -- I have a time just stringing little pearls!

I've been wondering about the wire guardian myself. If anyone has used it and has a picture on a finished project, please post pictures -- would love to see it. Kate

Back