Exotics

Panda, the smaller ovals are a lot more metallic than the larger ones, and many of them seem silver-gray depending on the light. I think the larger ovals have better colors overall. But the smaller ones are more uniform in shape and size.

I had originally gotten this strand (the small ovals) thinking I would use it to make earrings and a bracelet, but if I select out the really colorful ones for earrings, the rest of the bracelet would suffer.

I haven't decided yet whether to knot the bracelet, string it on beading wire with spacers, or maybe connect the pearls with wire loops.

I'm adding first indoors (diffuse light) and then outdoors (sunlight) shots of the 8-9mm rounds for comparison of the color in different lighting. (Eek, going public with my wrinkly neck!)

Attachments

• P-G shade round exotics.jpg
    P-G shade round exotics.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 74
  • P-G sunlight round exotics.jpg
    P-G sunlight round exotics.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
You know, skin can be close to 18% gray (so is grass.) Comparing the photo in the diffuse indoor light (standing in front of the storm door-- you can see the two glass panes) and the skin shot, the colors are very similar. Maybe the most accurate photos are on skin after all?

You know, skin can be close to 18% gray

That is, unless you're one of those people (like me) whose skin is so pale you become a traffic hazard because of the blindingly white reflection when you leave the house in shorts. I think my skin is 2% grey/blue and 98% Elmer's white. :cool:

I don't wear shorts because I've been accused of being "beached-whale white". :eek:

I don't wear shorts because I've been accused of being "beached-whale white".

Moby Geek? (Okay, bad joke....) I'm a paleface too. I wear sunscreen year round! Doesn't prevent the age spots, alas.

I have to share this story about the exotics:

We took our daughter to a gem and mineral show today-- a little show in a local school cafeteria. An Asian pearl dealer was there from whom I had bought beading-quality CFWP. He looked over at me (wearing the 8-9mm round exotics) gave me a significant look, and said "Very nice pearls!"

Later when I was browsing again at the table, his wife (who had not seen me earlier), looked appraisingly at my necklace and said "Beautiful pearls!" :D

Thanks again, Jeremy!

Exotics Photos

Exotics Photos

The pearls are more pale still with more intense luster than these pics show.
The strand with the green drop has not this candy-like quality but is more pale rose/gold/silver overtones on the different colours and it was taken on snow.

The strand with the cones on the other hand has more intense colours than you can see here.

I hope you have imagination enough to know what the pearls look like in reality.

Attachments

• Cones.JPG
    Cones.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Cones close-up.JPG
    Cones close-up.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Silver elephant.jpg
    Silver elephant.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Green drop pendant.jpg
    Green drop pendant.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 68
  • gold and silver pendants .jpg
    gold and silver pendants .jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 69
I'M ABSOLUTELY KNOCKED OFF MY SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! GORGEOUS! I have to know where you got the findings for the pendant in the bottom left photo. That is PRECISELY what I've looking for! I've always felt cone beads looked like little dunce caps on my pearls. You've found THE PERFECT EFFECT!!!!!! No dunce caps there! I even love your doggie paper towels! Looks like dog pendants on pearls.

FANTASTIC JOB!

Last edited:
I'M ABSOLUTELY KNOCKED OFF MY SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! GORGEOUS! I have to know where you got the findings for the pendant in the bottom left photo. That is PRECISELY what I've looking for! I've always felt cone beads looked like little dunce caps on my pearls. You've found THE PERFECT EFFECT!!!!!! No dunce caps there! I even love your doggie paper towels! Looks like dog pendants on pearls.

FANTASTIC JOB!

Thanks Knotty for the compliment. Sadly I am not sure where I got those earring findings. BTW, they are only goldplated, the chain is 14K, so are the jump rings.
I will check again, probably they came from Artbeads, Bella or Firemountain though.

I thought the cones would look nice also if you put them the other way round (inside versus outside). It was the size of the pearl that made the decision for me in what direction the cones should point.BTW The paper towels show swedisch lambs, not doggies, Knotty.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I add to the compliments - Inge, this is really-really great! I am especially fond of the first one with the golden pointed elements, it looks so modern and trendy! Just looking at a similar strand of ovals lying in front of me, - the extras make it so much more interesting!

Where can one get different kind of elements for pearl strands? Never thought if it before.

Lovely photos, beautiful pearls! I adore the ones photographed in the snow-- you can see the orient so well-- and the strand strung with the elephant is sweet and whimsical.

It's such fun seeing what people got-- I hope more people will post photos!

Dear Inge:
I am also bowled over with the left photo pearls. And I want to ask, do you mind if I take a page from your creation? I wouldn't copy exactly of course but I have some 14kt white gold pieces very much like the ones you used. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.
They say plageurism is the sincerest form of flattery. Please, please?
barbie

Dear Inge:
I am also bowled over with the left photo pearls. And I want to ask, do you mind if I take a page from your creation? I wouldn't copy exactly of course but I have some 14kt white gold pieces very much like the ones you used. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.
barbie

Hi Barbie,
you are so welcome!

Hi Olmander, Pearl_dreams and everyone else who is/was so nice to compliment me on my designs!

I?m quite overwhelmed, I would have been very happy if someone had complimented me on my knots, it is the first time I post photos of my own stringing,lol.

Thanks again, it is so nice when other PG-ers think that I as well can do some creative work. I?ll do a research on my findings, perhaps I can find out, just where I got these earring findings, because that I do remember they are!:)

Inge: If no one notices its your knots, it means you have done a professional job. :) No higher complement.

Dear Inge:
barbie

Hi Barbie and Knotty,

GOOD NEWS - I found them: It is Firemountain
Nr H205400Fy Focal component, gold-filled, 30x14 mm textured triangle curve with three loops. Price/Pce last fall: US $ 6.10.

Hope that will help.

Hi Inge
It is great to see your work. It is fantastic you taught yourself to knot. I hope your brilliant success will encourage others to do it too.

It wasn't so long ago that I was the only beader taking up residence here. I am thrilled that this part of this forum has grown so!

Hi Caitlin,

that is high praise from an expert if ever there was one :)

And of course it is so nice to belong to the beaders on this Forum.

Thanks for encouraging all of us.

I think its wonderful that so few of us are ordering strands knotted and are asking for temporary strands. When people photo their temporary strands, there is always the reply of "What are you going to do with them?" I think the vendors appreciate having less work to do as well. :)

Personally, I can't wait until Jeremy opens the pearl vault to us beaders.

necklace

necklace

Hi Jerin,
I love your necklaces and pendants, especially the left pendant. I ordered the Pearl and Beading book by Henrietta. I will be on my way to stringing and hopefully making pendants like yours.

Is the necklace with the elephant different from the one in the snow with green enhancer?

Back