Can anyone tell me about my pearls?

Octavia

Hi everyone! I'm new here but I've enjoyed looking through the threads -- you're all very knowledgeable!

My question is whether anyone can tell me what kind of pearls I have. I've got two strands, which I'm going to try to attach pictures of. The thinner, more oval strand was given to me for my college graduation and was bought at the giver's family jeweler in Singapore. My fiance surprised me with the chunkier, rounder strand when he got back from a business trip to Valencia, Spain.

Both strands look a little whiter in person than they do in these pictures, I couldn't get the white balance quite right when I was taking them.

I really know nothing about pearls, so even though I've been reading the information here, I can't visualize what any of it means! Thanks so much in advance for anything you're able to tell me :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Kasumi pearls are bead nucleated freshwater pearls from Japan. Their characteristics--color, shape, nacre quality are very different. Wendy is correct, China is where the freshwater pearl farming is done.
Octavia's pearls are the oval and off round shapes characteristic of tissue nucleated pearls. It is more rare to harvest round tissue nucleated pearls, than shapes like these!

Hello Octavia! Did you know we have another Octavia on the forum who is everyone's favorite poster? But I digress. To your pearls.

Thank you for posting the pic with the dime to give us an idea of the size. The strand on the right might be called a rice shape. The strand on the left might be called a rondelle shape. These shapes pretty much indicate freshwaters. (Ah, now that I read the posts, Pattye disagrees with me on the shapes. I was actually torn between pear-shaped but went the rice shape, but I would disagree that they are oval as they all appear to have one sharper end than the other and ovals are generally symetrical. See how subjective pearls can be?)

They are LOVELY! and a WONDERFUL way to begin your collection! You are a lucky lady, indeed.

Just for the record, here is the "other" Octavia, mascot and sometime spokes-mollusk for Pearl-Guide:

octavia does cocktails.jpg

We love all sorts of pearls here, but many of us have a special love for cultured freshwater pearls (CFWP) as they generally do not have a bead nucleus. (There are some that do, but they look quite different from yours.)

The fact that they are all-nacre makes them much more durable than, say, a (saltwater) Akoya pearl which has a relatively thin layer of nacre over a bead. A thin-nacred pearl won't last many years-- usually not long enough to be passed along to the next generation. The thick nacre of the CFWP also gives it a depth of glow that you don't get in a thin-nacred bead-nucleated pearl.

Because the CFWP don't have that round bead inside them, they tend not to be round! Hence the rice and potato shapes in your pictures. Off-round is the most common shape; round cultured freshwater pearls do occur but are much rarer and cost considerably more as a result.

Your pearls have great sentimental value-- now you know that with proper care, they should also last a very long time!

...a WONDERFUL way to begin your collection!

Yes, Octavia, this is only the beginning...now that you have stumbled upon this forum, heaven help you! Have you got matching freshwater earrings yet? ;)

Uh-Oh,
Handbags at fifty paces........
Octavia1 v. Octavia2.
Bets now being taken......:D

... cultured freshwater pearls (CFWP)

Silly me! I thought CFWP stood for colored freshwater pearl(s) and it was understood they are cultured regardless of the color as natural freshies are so rare. Learn something new everyday!

Uh-Oh, Handbags at fifty paces........Octavia1 v. Octavia2.
Bets now being taken......:D

Over the shoulder pearly holders?

See what happens when Caitlin bans the big shots and us "subversives" are left to run amuk?

Oh, yes,
How rude of me.
Welcome to the forum Octavia. :)
May you long enjoy and love your pearls.

Hi Knotty,

(Ah, now that I read the posts, Pattye disagrees with me on the shapes. I was actually torn between pear-shaped but went the rice shape, but I would disagree that they are oval as they all appear to have one sharper end than the other and ovals are generally symetrical.

LOL, Truly, Knotty, was not even thinking about a precise differentiation and description of Octavia's pearl shapes. I think us Libras are allowed to be a bit vague at times???? LOL

Back