Baroque Akoyas from PP April 2015 special

Oh, the luster just draws you in. They are dreamy!

I got a cell phone desk shot from Jeremy today of mine. Glamor shots to follow :)
I am in LOVE with this akoya strand with a white metallic fw drop

metallic baroque akoya with metallic freshwater drop from pearl paradise

Stunning pearls! I sincerely hope they are able to get hold of more of those. I am soooo jealous!

I love the way you got yours set, Newberry.

Newberry ... just breathtaking! LOVE the wire wrap setting :)

Newberry - that looks gorgeous .. such a modern look. I love the pendant..did you use one of the earring findings to make the pendant? Its sooooo cute!
Pearl Dreams and Ltmsmfft- those pearls are really stunning ! You were so lucky to get them !!

BAS - I commiserate - I never get logged into the sales in time lol .. these were gone by the time I got in ! The colours look wonderful..I love that silvery blue ... but then I love the darker Vietnamese ones too !

Wouldn't a Toursade look wonderful with mixed strands of the silver and dark blue ...

Last edited:
Katbran -- yes, a torsade of different shades of silver/blue baroque akoya!!!

Katbran, that torsade idea in silvery blue with or without white, in baroque akoyas ... brilliant :)

I got a cell phone desk shot from Jeremy today of mine. Glamor shots to follow :)
I am in LOVE with this akoya strand with a white metallic fw drop

I am so in love with the design!!! It is absolutely gorgeous Newberry! You were so right, those Akoyas are really something special! I am so happy for you! looking forward to more photos!

I'm about to head out for the day but took this photo first:

Such a beautiful strand! Enjoy!

Ok, last photo here. The larger blue strand is the 9.5mm baroque silver blue akoya strand from the April 15 PP sale. The 7.5mm blue akoya strand next to it is from last year's Vietnameese PP strands. Also bought last year and then then the silver baroque blue's on the Allure setting were pulled from the 9.5mm strand to make the earrings. I have to say, now that I have both darker blue Akoya's and the icy silver blue Akoya's I would be hard pressed to give up either of them! They are both stunning in their own right. My only regret is that I waited too long to buy a white strand; but, if I had I probably would not have bought a blue strand too and ultimately my heart lies with blue akoyas. :)

What a lovely collection of blue Akoyas!!!

The pearl novice here has a question re baroque akoyas -- my understanding is that akoya pearls are typically very round because they are bead nucleated -- there's a bead inside so the pearl ends up looking roundish. Now, what about baroque akoyas? Are they bead nucleated, too? I guess they are, because they do look fairly roundish. How come they are not more round, then? Are baroque akoyas usually "discards"?

Roundness is obviously the goal with bead-nucleated pearls, but nacre doesn't always get laid down in the way that sells for the highest price.

I've read that about 30% of the typical akoya harvest consists of baroques. There are better and poorer qualities of baroques. These were better than usual, apparently. My guess is they were left in the water a long time and so had lots of time to develop the thick, lustrous nacre.

Pearl Dreams - I think your odd ball pearl is a cutie! Thanks for sharing your pictures - the strand is stunning!

newberry - You took these pearls up a notch, didn't you! I love small links between the pearls and the drop takes it to a new level! You are going to look amazing in this!

Thanks for answering my question, Pearl Dreams. Your strand is gorgeous so I'm surprised we don't hear about white baroque Akoya more. How nice that PP was able to get hold of some strands. Perhaps they don't get much interest in Hong Kong.

In his last blog post, Jeremy wrote this about the company he bought the blue and white baroque akoyas from:

"We also discovered a small Japanese company that had not come to the show before and one we’d never seen in Kobe. They’re niche is very specialized – baroques. In the past I had only been interested in the natural-color silver blue baroques but only because the whites that I’d seen were borderline rejects. The white strands they had were different – lustrous with great colors and visibly thick nacre. They were also big – 9.5-10.0 mm. They didn’t have many of the large strands available but we ended up taking all of them inlcuding their natural-color silver-blues."

Hopefully this small Japanese company will return to future shows in Hong Kong, having found that there is a buyer who wants their baroques. :D

Yes! I saw that and snagged some. Apparently they got more stock. I hope mine are as beautiful as the ones I've seen here!

Back