Baroque Akoyas from PP April 2015 special

baroque blue akoya from Pearl Paradise

My baroque blue akoya's arrived from PP this week and I LOVE them! They are a really stunning ice blue color. This pictures shows them as they look IRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pearl Paradise shortened the strand and I made earrings with the extras

I had my strand shortened to 16" and I had the extra pearls set on the Allure earring setting in white gold. They are SO pretty! I'm really thrilled with how this turned out. The Allure setting is really pretty. It was a touch smaller than I thought it might be IRL; but, my ear lobes are on the small side, so they work perfectly for me. I think these might be my most favorite pearls in my collection now. :)

Two baroque akoya strands from Pearl Paradise, one regular Japanese and one Vietnamese. Pearls were pulled out of both to create the earrings.

Ok, last photo here. The larger blue strand is the 9.5mm baroque silver blue akoya strand from the April 15 PP sale. The 7.5mm blue akoya strand next to it is from last year's Vietnameese PP strands. The darkest blue earrings were bought last year and then then the silver baroque blue's on the Allure setting were pulled from the 9.5mm strand to make the earrings. I have to say, now that I have both darker blue Akoya's and the icy silver blue Akoya's I would be hard pressed to give up either of them! They are both stunning in their own right. My only regret is that I waited too long to buy a white strand; but, if I had I probably would not have bought a blue strand too and ultimately my heart lies with blue akoyas. :)

Congratulations to both of you. Those earrings turned out perfectly. I have some blue baroques, so I can't be jealous, but I will admit to extreme admiration for Pearl Dreams' necklace. It's outstanding.

I hope Jeremy is able to rustle up some more of the large white baroque akoya's on future buying trips! I realllllllly want a strand after seeing these pics!!!!

I'm loving these photos Pearl Dreams and Ltmsmfft! The baroques are beautiful!

The pictures are wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Wear you new blue baroques in health. I've been wanting to use the Allure findings... I think it's a very pretty style.

How about some specific ear shots? I'd love to see the earrings up close on your ears.

Ltlmsmfft (is that shorthand for Little Miss Muffet?)-- thank you for adding to the thread! Your blue baroques look fantastic on your neck and I'm so enjoying the iridescence of the earring in post #23!

GemGeek, that is high praise coming from you!

We took a day trip to a favorite shoreline town today and I wore these with my SSP drop earrings. They looked like they belonged together. I found the necklace very comfortable. I wondered whether the laser ball clasp would feel scratchy, but it doesn't, at all.

One more photo taken indoors near my desk:

pearl paradise baroque white akoya strand in white box

Last edited:
There is nothing I don't like about the baroque akoyas. They are beyond beautiful. Enjoy wearing your new strands Pearl Dreams and Ltmsmfft. I will be joining you soon wearing mine.

Wow -- everything was sold out when I opened the link -- and boy did I miss out on something very special!

Everyone who managed to grab one, please post lots of pictures for us so we can enjoy them vicariously!

I hope you will post neck shots of your wire-wrapped strand with pendant when you receive it, newberry!

More photos just for viewing pleasure. Pearls were in the white box from PP, but as you can see there is a bit of color distortion.

The first and third were taken under the daylight lamp, the second was taken outdoors about an hour ago (late afternoon).

lustrous baroque akoya strand from pearl paradise

crazy intense colors

baroque akoyas shot outdoors in late afternoon

That 9th pearl in from the tongue of the clasp is very oddball, doesn't match the strand as a whole, but it's exceptionally silvery and iridescent, due to the nacre being very convoluted (and therefore thick)-- except there is one part right near the drill hole where either there is no nacre, or the nacre is just not iridescent. It looks like porcelain, a bit translucent.

I thought about restringing and omitting this one pearl, but the strand looks fine with it, especially as it's back nearer the clasp. And I don't want a shorter necklace.

Edited: I examined it again with a loupe; I'm seeing fine cracks that reach the surface and have begun to be worried that it may someday break apart and the pearl will be lost at some point in the future, from stress near the drill hole.

So...I've contacted Jeremy to ask if there is a spare pearl to replace it with, if and when I need to do so.

Edit: And updated again to add that I've decided to leave well enough alone for now. If it ever cracks, I can always substitute a round pearl instead, if no spare baroque has been found by then.

Attachments

• very convoluted nacre.jpg
    very convoluted nacre.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 59
  • the non-iridescent area near the drill hole.jpg
    the non-iridescent area near the drill hole.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Oh, holy cow, you guys made out like bandits! They're all glorious, and I love your oddball, PD! It truly is one of a kind; it looks lovably impertinent. No idea why, but it does :). It looks like that spot is grinning.

Pearl Dreams, I love the oddball. It makes your necklace unique, and somehow it has the spunk of a survivor about it :)

The laser clasp is a lot prettier IRL than I thought it'd be, and the necklaces have wonderful flow re pearl sizes.

Back