Balngadeshi "Black" Pearls

pattye said:
A fine quality genuine blue zircon would have a lovely color and lots of sparkle for something like this, also possibly neon apatite--??

Pattye

Right you are... Any idea if blue zircon is available melee? Not sure why it doesn't seem to ever be done (i.e. no less durable than emerald or tourmaline and those are cut small, not quite so strong color ... but with exceptions etc. just don't know).

Apatite is quite soft. Which really is a pitty... few of them would have the saturation to hold on in small sizes, but what color! :eek: I could definitely see such stones used in a necklace... with abalone.

p26592_5.jpg
& SOURCE

Something is telling me though, that the pearl and the ring have fine jewelry aspirations and the author of the design didn't want to go too far off the beaten track. A blue pearl does that by default.

[off soap box]

.... would definitely love to have a discussion like this about a pearl that isn't yet set. :cool:

Hi Ana,

Have no idea what melee is available now. It's been over 10 years since I had any contacts in that end of the biz! I do like TriGem in Vancouver WA. They are using Fair Trade Gems as much as possible. They are also offering Cortez Pearls in finished pieces. When I worked at Nordstrom fine jewelry dept in 90's we used them alot for stones.

Might also be some teal sapphires--just thought of that! I also have a piece with some amazing small purple sapphires--
-----
Thinking about that black strand also--perhaps there's a chance the true beauty of it was not caught by the camera??

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

pattye said:
Thinking about that black strand also--perhaps there's a chance the true beauty of it was not caught by the camera??

I would imagine... they look both pitch black and dull in the picture, while the description implies shades of dark colors, and the price and venue imply that the buyer knew what they were doing... :eek:

CLICLASP said:
Hi
it seems to be the one I posted here (more specifications):
https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1205
A strange one indeed and expensive
If anyone needs more info, I have the original auction book

Curious pearls... no wonder there wasn't much going on on the other thread - there isn't much to talk about in the image than these dark, round blobs that are supposed to be images of pearls :(

Sure I'd want to know what the auction catalog was saying about them! :)

On the other hand, trying to read through the picture and all, there seems to be some resemblance... with THIS. 'Guess we'll never know.

In triguing pearls these too!

oysternecklace4A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pattye: You hit the nail on the head with apatite. Wouldn't these look yummy as a coordinating necklace? Now to find the abalone pearls in that shade of blue.

Attachments

• apatite twist0001.JPG
    apatite twist0001.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 73
Those look gorgeous, Knotty!

If you make something, please post it! Hope those pretties in apatite are yours already. by the way, I find it really frustrating what they are doing to abalone shell beads right now, ghastly dyeing and aurora borealis?????? Anyone know a source for high quality natural color abalone shell beads?

Pattye

No, they aren't mine. Rather inexpensive actually, under a $100 and a couple of hundred carats as I recall. I just wanted everyone to see what a great eye you have!

----------------------------

Well, I could have at least told you where to get them! I buy most of my gemstone beads from Michelle at Migem.com. She's located in Hong Kong and is a big buyer at the trade shows. She just replenished her stock so she has a good supply at the moment, but her things go fast. She will negotiate to make the sale. She's also very good at breaking up a strand, if she can, and putting together smaller sample packs if you just want a couple of her lovlies and not a full or half strand.

Last edited:
Hi Knotty,

Thanks much for the compliment! I LOVE colored gemstones, etc.
Apatite is available quite reasonably--even the nuggets and chips are pretty!

Oops, we're a little off subject, aren't we??

Pattye

natural pearls

natural pearls

Hi Everyone,
We are not sure that we are allowed to post the wholesale price of the multi-colored natural pearl necklace on this forum, the one that Caitlin asked about. Sorry about that.
As for the ring, it sold. The natural pearl was a 11mm blue/green round abalone pearl and it was an incredible pearl. We are still waiting for the next one to be found.
Our Best Regards,
Wes
www.allnaturalpearls.com
tish@allnaturalpearls.com

That was meant to be their treasure and someday I'll find the treasure which is meant to be mine. I hope they wear it in good health!

Hi Wes
Sorry. There is no problem for this forum for stating a price.

I wasn't asking about the wholesale price, but the retail price, or the reserve for an auction or for insurance puposes.

This is for educational purposes as most of the dailly posters are amateurs. And it would be for people who think they got a natural strand of matched large pearls for less than $100.

I just thought it would be educational and nice to give people a ballpark figure of what they can expect to pay for such a piece.

That is also why I asked you take a guess on the price for a double strand of matched, 8mm+ black pearls.

You are actually the person on this forum best suited to ask such a question. IMO

The abalone ring is gorgeous! But I prefer it as it is, in greenish blue diamonds as it compliments the pearl so much. It's irradiated so I don't mind since the color is permanent (anyway, natural green diamonds are irradiated too!).

The paraiba melees might even cost more than the iirradiated blue diamonds, don't you think so, Valeria?

The apatite strand too looks great. Got some strands of flat apatite drops myself but not that clean.:eek:

I think nice quality, faceted andalusite rondelle beads too would look great between black pearls...:) looks classy, imho.

Sigh, I tend to lose myself over gemstones....:D

Great pearls, Wes.

perlas said:
The paraiba melees might even cost more than the iirradiated blue diamonds, don't you think so, Valeria?

By a bunch. As much as I know, irradiated diamond melee is usually priced under the white...

The batch of small Paraibas is quite an item - you never find them, and there sure are staunch users out there.

Andalusite and black pearls? I have to think about that one a bit. Maybe the andalusite I'm familiar with isn't fine enough to give me an accurate image of what your describing. Apatite: far to brittle to be placed in a ring, unfortunately, that's why I said a coordinating necklace, but you can treat those diamonds anyway you want! Give me fake diamond colors which complement natural pearls any day!

knotty panda said:
Apatite: far to brittle to be placed in a ring...

Would you like it cut this way? Bezel set... in something fairly substantial.

buffstarbn4.png

Just a thought... There are pearl rings arund though, aren't they. Those wonderful colors on something soft can be frustrating :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
knotty panda said:
Andalusite and black pearls? I have to think about that one a bit. Maybe the andalusite I'm familiar with isn't fine enough to give me an accurate image of what your describing. Apatite: far to brittle to be placed in a ring, unfortunately, that's why I said a coordinating necklace, but you can treat those diamonds anyway you want! Give me fake diamond colors which complement natural pearls any day!

Imagine faceted rondelle beads with high pleochroism... orange, pink, brown, and green in different facets...well, ok ok, the bodycolor of andalusite may not be the top pick as it is brownish... but I think it has a rustic and unique appeal...:) (consider though that you are talking to a gem nut:rolleyes: )

Oh, my god Valeria, I just fell in love with that star Montana Sapphire! Do you own it or was is just something you saw online and liked? The pearl jewelry I really like are mabes that are turned into things. The Philadelphia Inquirer once did a piece on a man who made brooches and pendants out of mabes. One pearl had a vase shape and he had golden stems with carved amethyst flowers coming out of it. Or a goldfish. I have never seen anything like them again. No prices were listed so they had to be sky-high.

Back