Back from a London journey, more stories about pearls

Im sure my brother my brother would agree with Eli. He runs car events (like Classic Rallies, & trips to Europe to see the Grand Prix & have a go in an F1 racing car). He decided that if men were coming in to my shop to buy jewels for their partners, there should be something there to keep them occupied. So I now have special collectors model cars amongst my displays.

Im sure my brother my brother would agree with Eli. He runs car events (like Classic Rallies, & trips to Europe to see the Grand Prix & have a go in an F1 racing car). He decided that if men were coming in to my shop to buy jewels for their partners, there should be something there to keep them occupied. So I now have special collectors model cars amongst my displays.

Right!
Pearls and cars - the winning combination. Two years ago, after an unbelievable visit to Pearl Paradise, we went to the world-famous Concourse d'Elegance at Pebble Beach.

But WTH putting a Melo Melo pearl in the history of pearl section !?:confused:

Because it was only a starter, now here is the game :
Let's try to find how old, where from, what for.
Good luck :cool:

Attachments

• PG-CliClasp2.jpg
    PG-CliClasp2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 75
Is that a fossilized nacre shell? The horses on it look like the style is old ancient cave paintings, except etched. Maybe the oldest artifact you have shown yet?

It's an oyster shell decorated, not fossilized.
But not an ordinary oyster shell, a very specific one in place where they were used to be fished for the pearls inside.
So this helps to find where this is from.
Who knows, maybe this oyster gave a pearl in its time...

Yes it's a horseman depicted and it's old.
But how old, where from and what was this shell used for ?

play again...;)

I love your web page with the last quiz pix on it!

How large is the shell? It looks like a scallop or pinctada, not the oysters they sell in the markets.

It looks like at least one horse has a bridle and the big one might have a saddle. Persian Gulf 2,000-1,500 years ago?

Persian Gulf, and 6th/7th century AD, great!

The legend does not tell which kind of oyster it is, but since they were fished for the pearls... could be pinctada ?
It depicts a lancer wearing a fitted breastplate and ribboned diadem with a quiver at his side. The balloon streamers at his side behind the horse are feature of Sassanian art.

At the moment, we are at the shell story, soon the pearl story to come.

So you found where and when. Remains what for
and this one had the same use...

Play again

Attachments

• PG-CliClasp3.jpg
    PG-CliClasp3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
With the Sassanian reference, I found this one. It is metal, but has a clear example of the etching style.

Attachments

• sasanian shell.jpg
    sasanian shell.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Wonderful piece !
The second shell is a Tridacna shell that comes from the Red Sea, carved in East Mediterranean area and imported to Etruria.
It is 700 BC old.
Both Tridacna and oyster shell served as cosmetics container.

Would you like one to serve as make up case for you :D

Last edited:
After shells , now are the pearls.
What about this earring? Isn't an interesting model?
How old and where from in your opinion?

Attachments

• PG-CliClasp4.jpg
    PG-CliClasp4.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 69
I don't have time right now to research, but it certainly is fun to follow along!

OK Duly noted, I stop the quizz but go ahead for description ?

The earring is gold, strung with pearls, Roman, 1st, 2nd century AD
Enjoy

More earrings for the week end ?
Very trendy 1800 years ago, and still in fashion today ;)
What's new under the sun ?

Attachments

• PG-CliClasp5.jpg
    PG-CliClasp5.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 62
OK, OK, how many PG members in the fan club "story of the pearl" ? :D
So where these 1800 years old earrings are from ?
If you got your "degree" in pearl history of summer 2008 (see link under my signature" for a revision) you should know....;)

Very trendy 1800 years ago, and still in fashion today ;)

Well, 1800 years ago, makes them Roman......(Greek influence?)
and please don't stop the game, I love it !!!

The game is wonderful... don't stop.
I did know the melo melo... the earrings above look almost Egyptian to me, but the timing is out...

Back