Abalone Gone "Buggy"

The thread says "Abalone gone Buggy". It doesn't say cultured need not apply. :) But, those beautiful examples are not bugs, now, are they? ;)
In fact, the second one reminds me of Leslie's two pearls...
Agree on all counts. In any case, as cultured blisters Eyris should be able to produce NCBs (nacre-coated bugs) of any species on demand?

Use of the phrase 'abalone/paua pearls' required clarification was my thinking.

Hi Pearllover2

Your creations are lovely. I hope you will continue to post. What kind of pearl is the drop? Tahitian?

We don't really have the perfect forum for cultured Abalone......except "cultured pearls"

I may move this to its own thread.

Well, whatever they are they're beautiful! A good sense of design was involved. I think the first one could do with a few less of the smaller stones--especially the blue topaz. They overload the beautiful forms of the white and yellow gold parts a bit.

Alas--even I am stretching it a bit to post my mabe's on this forum. Even though they are naturally sourced from wild abalone, the process of making them into mabe's makes them a "processed pearl product" or something like that according to the FTC. Well--they had a good start, at least. . .

J. Marcus
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

I assume this is Eyris mab? as well, GemGeek?

The drop is a Tahitian! I loooooove Eyris Blue Pearls. I'm waiting for Roger Beattie to figure out a way to culture whole abalone pearls. I know they are hemophiliacs, but with Roger's tenacity, anything is possible!

Did you notice that there seem to be a lot more naturals on the market? Or is it just that we're looking for them? In any case, I could look at them all day long.

Cheers,
Blaire

Well, duh, I now see that the thread is listed under Natural Pearls. So much for my powers of observation! I just happily look at whatever is unread and don't check the forum. :eek:

Blaire, Had to regurgitate your super shot of Eyris pears just so folks didn't think I was nuts. In any case, a closer look at the pendant and its shadow does seem to indicate a 360? Tahitian, although I could still have my doubts?

Naturals: Yes, they seem to be making a comeback after being relegated to mythical status. A direct reaction to globalization, most likely.

Attachments

• fancy pears.JPG
    fancy pears.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 62
Caitlin and all other members
Thank you for your very kind words. What a great forum!

Indeed it is a Tahitian drop.

This now is another cultured Paua drop, Tahitians above.
Hope you will enjoy this one too.
Do not despair, I will not bother you with anymore!!!!!

Is there now a new thread for cultured abalone or similar?
Cheers from Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud
www.orbitgold.com

Attachments

• DSCN13391.jpg
    DSCN13391.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 68
whoa, thats a lot going on in one piece - to be honest I think it really takes away from what should be the focus the Paua drop.

Stunningl! I did notice this beautiful piece on first viewing your site.

Can't wait to see (Blaire's friend) Leslie's solution for her Eyris mab? and Tahitian peacock drop.

Nonetheless, more than a little concerned about the description on the site: 18kt gold, Stg silver, Rubellite, Tahitian & Paua Pearls, as the Paua is a cultured mab?. This risks confusion with natural free form paua pearls (you see, now I am obligated to qualify them as natural).

Yes, I suppose its not just pearls strung on a thread.
It is a custom piece for an America's Cup sailor.........representing motion, wind and water......

pearllover2
Juerg P. Muff
Award winning designs
www.orbitgold.com

Yes, I suppose its not just pearls strung on a thread.
A Libertarian by nature, I reread the pertinent chapters of the CIBJO Pearl Book only in the interests of clarification and understanding.

?The word Pearl by itself may only be used for natural pearls.

?Assembled/Composite Cultured Blisters may not be called pearls. In the case of Eyris Blues, 'Abalone Cultured Blisters.'

?Should Eyris succeed in producing full round cultured pearls, these would be 'Abalone Cultured Pearls.'

Love the grasshopper and the dragonfly, though I don't generally like bug jewelry. They are dazzling.

Smetzler: Does the CIBJO Pearl Book address the term "Mabe'"?
Here is the pertinent section:

5.12. Assembled Cultured Blister

assemblages of a purpose-grown cultured blister (5.52) which have been cut from their shell, the original bead (5.139) upon which they grew being removed and the cavity filled with various types of man-made materials, and backed by a layer of shell, the assemblages being held together by an adhesive; commonly known as Mabe (5.110) or Hankei (5.88) and occur in both fresh and seawater environments. Not to be confused with cut cultured pearl (5.54).

But this is common sense and common knowledge among practically everyone here, I assume. So I also assume that everyone is agreed that calling Eyris Blue mab?s 'Paua Pearls' (or any kind of pearls, for that matter) is clearly an unfair trade practice as defined by CIBJO.

Last edited:
Here, Down Under, Cultured is know as a Mabe, Natural is known as a Blister.
Both are treated the same way in processing i.e. filling and backing.
Occassionally we find a blister that is solid nachre. Next we process we w ill post an image of a solid blister.

Here, Down Under, Cultured is know as a Mabe, Natural is known as a Blister.
Thanks NZ Naturals. This is consistent with the CIBJO inclusion of Mab? only under the heading of cultured blisters.

But the issue here, acutely relevant in your case, is use of Pearls, Paua Pearls or similar by the trade when offering fine jewellery made with Mab?. We know what CIBJO says on the subject, is it that 'Down Under' things are seen differently?

Or does the astronomical pricing fetched by Eyris Blue Mab?s make them non-threatening in terms of eroding the value and image of paua pearls?

In such a case, truth in advertising would remain to be considered.

Back