Zhuji or Hongqiao Pearl Market

Deep

Hi Friends,

I’m from India and planning a trip to China anytime soon. I’m planning on buying Freshwater pearls for around $5k to get a feel of it. It’s more like I’m going to get samples for retailers back home. I’m new to this world of pearls and want to explore my opportunities in China. I’ve some queries and would be grateful if some of you can assist with your experiences if you’ve made recent trip to China.

1. Where can I get better deal on freshwater pearls Zhuji Pearl Market or Hongqiao Market (Please note I’m looking for wholesale vendors, as I’m going to make frequent trips if the price suit me).

2. What would be the price of 4-6 mm pearls presently (a tentative idea would be helpful too)?

3. How to ship pearls from China to India. Do the sellers assist with shipping?

Thanking you in anticipation. Any input/suggestion would be of great help. Looking forward to your support.

If it's your first time to buy pearls, Hongqiao in Beijing would be the easiest to start. Zhuji is more of an advanced trip. You will get taken advantage of in either place, so it's best to get your feet wet at Hongqiao.

Your second question doesn't really have an answer. Someone could say $5 or $250 and both would be right. It depends on the pearls.

#3 - FedEx, using their brokerage services.

Welcome, Deep. Please tell us what knowledge you have about pearls themselves?
Hi Pattye,

Firstly, thank you so much for your response. Now talking about my knowledge on pearls, I must admit it's thin on the ground. I've just started trading in the business on a very small scale and taking baby steps to grow each day. At this level, I needed to know some basics of the business which I tried to learn from some of my associates and as much information is available online, like the 3 basic types of pearl wiz are Natural, Freshwater / Cultured and Beads/Synthetic Pearls. Most important aspects I need to consider while selecting them are Shape, Size, Color and Luster. I'm presently working only with Freshwater Pearls to start with, however, I do wish to get into the beautiful world of Natural Pearls with little more information and knowledge.

Any more insight and information you would like to share is highly appreciated.

Regards
Deep

Last edited:
If it's your first time to buy pearls, Hongqiao in Beijing would be the easiest to start. Zhuji is more of an advanced trip. You will get taken advantage of in either place, so it's best to get your feet wet at Hongqiao.

Your second question doesn't really have an answer. Someone could say $5 or $250 and both would be right. It depends on the pearls.

#3 - FedEx, using their brokerage services.
Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for much for your support and response. Truly appreciate it.

Just wanted to confirm, if Hongqiao Pearl Market is in Beijing or Shanghai?

Also, if you can give some information on how much pearls can we carry in hand, ie. we can bring in hand luggage without customs. Do we need to pay customs on loose pearls too?

Sounds, if you have already visited the place, please apprise if I would need an interpreter in Zhuji, incase I plan a trip there. I know people in Shanghai and Beijing do communicate in English.

Regards
Deep

Deep, have you thoroughly studied your target market? Are you in an area with very little pearl awareness or competition? If so you may be able to share your learning curve and pure enthusiasm with your customers, while staying one step ahead. This would be a case of ‘in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.’ If you are considering entering the pearl trade due to popularity of pearls in your area, your proposal is less realistic. I speak from long marketing experience in a field saturated with amateur hopefuls (wine), some of whom do survive long enough to succeed.

Deep, have you thoroughly studied your target market? Are you in an area with very little pearl awareness or competition? If so you may be able to share your learning curve and pure enthusiasm with your customers, while staying one step ahead. This would be a case of ‘in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.’ If you are considering entering the pearl trade due to popularity of pearls in your area, your proposal is less realistic. I speak from long marketing experience in a field saturated with amateur hopefuls (wine), some of whom do survive long enough to succeed.
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response.

Are you in an area with very little pearl awareness or competition? If so you may be able to share your learning curve and pure enthusiasm with your customers, while staying one step ahead. This would be a case of ‘in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.’ If you are considering entering the pearl trade due to popularity of pearls in your area, your proposal is less realistic.

Actually none. I come from an area which abodes some of the best pearl merchants and jewelry makers and I'm not enthusiastic only because of the popularity of pearls in my area. Yes, it is indeed one of the reasons, who would not love a ready pool of buyers, however, I'm looking at a bigger horizon. Pearls are here to stay, it was in demand possible 2000 years ago and possibly would be popular in the next 2000 years too. It's a demand and supple game, that entices me. I'm new to this arena of pearl business, however, I've been trading in other commodities for a while and it's interesting.

Considering your long marketing experience, I'd be thankful to get some tips to reach potential buyers. Please note, I'm not targeting end consumers, I'm a seller to the jewelers.

Regards
Deep

Last edited:
Deep, It’s lucky for you to receive letters from Mr Shepherd,founder of pearl paradise.com.
It’s difficult to cope with Indian merchants.
Much time is wasted by your guys who just demand very cheap pearls.

You should take the Pearls as One course. If you search for it on the forum, I think you can find the link and the free code. I am not a dealer in anything but it sounds a bit reckless to spend $5k on a market you haven't researched. I would always recommend that you first figure out who is buying, what they are buying and what they are paying. You need to look at your own market. You can't count on anyone's experience here being of use to you. Find your local jewelers, talk to them and find out what your competition is.

Perhaps you should find out a little more about your new venture - the materials and the logistics - before spending any money. Trading in pearls is really not the get rich quick sector you seem to think it is.
As I frequently observe...buying pearls is really easy. But then you have to sell them.

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for much for your support and response. Truly appreciate it.

Just wanted to confirm, if Hongqiao Pearl Market is in Beijing or Shanghai?

Also, if you can give some information on how much pearls can we carry in hand, ie. we can bring in hand luggage without customs. Do we need to pay customs on loose pearls too?

Sounds, if you have already visited the place, please apprise if I would need an interpreter in Zhuji, incase I plan a trip there. I know people in Shanghai and Beijing do communicate in English.

Regards
Deep

There is a Hongqiao market in both Shanghai and Beijing. The one in Beijing is much better suited for your purposes.

As for the hand-carry, it depends on where you're going. If the pearls are loose or unknotted, there is no duty. But if you hand-carry, you still have to claim them and arrange brokerage services. This is why FedEx is so much better. They have brokerage services for inbound packages.

The vendors will help you ship, but given your budget, you'll be picking up a few pieces from different vendors. Maybe work with one of the vendors you connect with the best and ask them to ship everything along with the pieces you purchased from them.

In Zhuji you'll need a guide or an interpreter. In Beijing you'll be fine.

Hi Jeremy, you don't need a broker if you can do the paperwork yourself. Customs don't like it as it makes work for them but I had it down to 15 minutes at the airport. Before brexit. Now it is a complete mess here in the UK.
While you don't have to pay duty there will probably be purchase tax or VAT or whatever it is called in your country and you have to pay that immediately.
If you hand carry, remember too that pearls are heavy. Will you be able to lift your carry-on bag up to the overhead locker?

Deep, It’s lucky for you to receive letters from Mr Shepherd,founder of pearl paradise.com.
It’s difficult to cope with Indian merchants.
Much time is wasted by your guys who just demand very cheap pearls.
Indeed true. India is a cost sensitive market.

There is a Hongqiao market in both Shanghai and Beijing. The one in Beijing is much better suited for your purposes.

As for the hand-carry, it depends on where you're going. If the pearls are loose or unknotted, there is no duty. But if you hand-carry, you still have to claim them and arrange brokerage services. This is why FedEx is so much better. They have brokerage services for inbound packages.

The vendors will help you ship, but given your budget, you'll be picking up a few pieces from different vendors. Maybe work with one of the vendors you connect with the best and ask them to ship everything along with the pieces you purchased from them.

In Zhuji you'll need a guide or an interpreter. In Beijing you'll be fine.
Hi Jeremy, thank you again for your response. Will keep in mind to check with Fedex as well as the vendors to gauge the shipping options.

A small query if you can help, quite a few vendors here in India get pearls from Hong Kong, I was wondering is it because the price is more competitive in Hong Kong, or shipping is easy. As truly stated by Big Wells, India indeed is a price sensitive market and we do need to keep the affordability in mind when dealing with freshwater pearls.

Last edited:
As truly stated by Big Wells, India indeed is a price sensitive market and we do need to keep the affordability in mind when dealing with freshwater pearls.
No matter what you do, someone will always be cheaper. This is what is known in marketing as a "Race to the Bottom." Creativity and quality is a more legitimate and profitable way of standing out in the market. But this requires knowledge, and credibility.

No matter what you do, someone will always be cheaper. This is what is known in marketing as a "Race to the Bottom." Creativity and quality is a more legitimate and profitable way of standing out in the market. But this requires knowledge, and credibility.
Hi Steve, I agree quality and creativity is the key to long run, however, I also feel pricing is equally important. It’s imperative to understand one’s target buyer and their affordability. In marketing Pricing is very important beside the product, keeping in mind the place of the business.

In a country where the per capita income is $2500-2700 a year, I wouldn’t be smart to offer a product for $500 or above, in the beginning of a business, particularly in a non-essential segment. Right now the focus would be to reach maximum potential buyers, with quality and affordability.

Hi Steve, I agree quality and creativity is the key to long run, however, I also feel pricing is equally important. It’s imperative to understand one’s target buyer and their affordability. In marketing Pricing is very important beside the product, keeping in mind the place of the business.

In a country where the per capita income is $2500-2700 a year, I wouldn’t be smart to offer a product for $500 or above, in the beginning of a business, particularly in a non-essential segment. Right now the focus would be to reach maximum potential buyers, with quality and affordability.
Quality and affordability sounds good.

Hi Jeremy, thank you again for your response. Will keep in mind to check with Fedex as well as the vendors to gauge the shipping options.

A small query if you can help, quite a few vendors here in India get pearls from Hong Kong, I was wondering is it because the price is more competitive in Hong Kong, or shipping is easy. As truly stated by Big Wells, India indeed is a price sensitive market and we do need to keep the affordability in mind when dealing with freshwater pearls.

Most wholesale buyers prefer the Hong Kong shows over the mainland. It's a lot easier to find what you want, and to understand pricing structures when vendors are lined up in booths.

But affordability and price depends on you no matter where you choose to go. If you are unfamiliar with the product and pricing and this is your first time venturing in, you'll be met with sharks who recognize your situation in either place. If you don't truly understand the product and what you are buying ...

I could write pages about different ways you will be separated from your $$ in the markets ... 6-7 mm strands actually measuring 5.5-6.5 ... 75% of the pearls used in the smaller 1/2 mm range ... short clean potato in the center and longer spotted on the ends. You will have your eyes "washed" thinking you've finally found a good deal only to learn the truth later.

Back