Would like to know what kind of pearls these are?

coco1

Community member
My aunt just gave me these. Not familiar with these types of Pearls, was only she thought they were ocean pearls., Thank you very much.

Attachments

• pearl necklace 8.jpg
    pearl necklace 8.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 60
  • pearl necklace7.jpg
    pearl necklace7.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 64
  • pearl necklace3.jpg
    pearl necklace3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 63
  • pearl necklace5.jpg
    pearl necklace5.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 61
  • pearl necklace2.jpg
    pearl necklace2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 64
  • pearl necklace 9.jpg
    pearl necklace 9.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 58
Thank you for your reply. Is there a name for these irregular shaped pearls with blemsihes?, would they be considered baroque or something else. I am starting to bond with them but they are so different from the pearls I have worn in the past., thank you again.

It has a strange, screw closure which makes one pearl screw into another and the clasp disappears., something I have never seen before, thinking of changing clasp to something like a round, ball like, white gold and diamonds clasp, what do you think? Would appreciate your ideas for clasps. Thank you.

The clasp you have is called a mystery clasp, we see them a lot in longer strands but not too often in shorter pieces. A white gold ball clasp with or without some diamond accents would really finish off the necklace nicely, I think you'd like the look of a visible clasp with this necklace.

totally agree, this mystery clasp is just not my style, the gold ball clasp is exactly what I was thinking of, any suggestions as to where to get one?, thank you so much

Hmm, I think they are nucleated freshwaters.... other opinions? If so, still quite a lovely gift. They are gorgeous!
I can post some pics of some strands I have stocked with very similar appearance.

Would love to see your strands., I did ask my aunt and she tells me her jeweler said they were ocean pearls.

Hmm, I think they are nucleated freshwaters.... other opinions?

Looking at the shapes you could certainly be right, I just assume SS since the nuked FW are still relatively rare and the aunt called them "ocean pearls". Coco do you have any more information on where they came from?

Curious also about the type of pearl--they are really BIG! 26 pearls!! They must be at least 14mm. Too late to do the math tonight, it's after 9pm!! Freshwater crossed my mind, but could not be sure. Agree, they would look truly elegant with a gold ball clasp.

The more I look at them the more I think FW - this size, shape and quality still makes for a valuable strand, and a beautiful gift.

I asked my aunt again and all she knows is that she has had this strand for a long time and that the jeweler told her they were ocean pearls. I am going to have the clasp changed, is there anything I can tell the jeweler to look for as he takes out the mystery screw clasp that will give an answer as to freshwater vs ocean pearls?, I am sure he would know but also sure he won't know as much as you all do lol, so any tips on what to look for would be great. I am attaching a few more pictures to see if they would help.

Attachments

• pearl necklace1.jpg
    pearl necklace1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 64
  • pearl necklace10.jpg
    pearl necklace10.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 61
  • pearl necklace 6.jpg
    pearl necklace 6.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 66
Will try to post pictures again.

Attachments

• pearl necklace7.jpg
    pearl necklace7.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 64
  • pearl necklace1.jpg
    pearl necklace1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 67
  • pearl necklace 6.jpg
    pearl necklace 6.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 66
Well, based on the information that the pearls are not a current purchase, and she was told "ocean pearls," seems most likely they are South Sea. Doubt there were cultured freshwaters around in this nice a quality until just the last few years.

Would it be possible for you to post a couple of photos taken on a white paper towel? Thanks very much! The black seems to wash out the overtones of the pearls somewhat.

Sure, will take the pictures in a little bit, thanks for your reply.

Can you put a coin into the photo so we can see the size better? Also, how long is the strand?

I think it is a very friendly looking strand- one that would be a great companion. Personally, I love the no-clasp look- It is very magical. It is a strand worthy of a mermaid. I hope you wear it often and with business and casual clothes. It is not a common-looking strand at all. Maybe you can use another mystery clasp for the gold ball and just switch them out.

Look at Sheri's pieces in THIS (Anna Tabakhova's thread) starting with post #42 to see how an interchangeable clasp would work.

Last edited:
Back