Women in Power: Finding Balance In the Wardrobe

jshepherd

Pearl Paradise
Article in The Wall Street Journal today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120112420869611063.html?mod=todays_us_personal_journal

Kirsten got a quote!

Enough women are paying attention to what female politicians wear that it has affected sales of at least one signature style. Kirsten Wolff, executive vice president of the Web retailer PearlParadise.com, told me recently that sales of pearl jewelry rise when Ms. Pelosi and other woman politicos wear it on C-Span: People actually call up and ask for duplicate pieces.

And I believe I've seen Hillary with a strand of baroque tahitians. Did anyone else remember seeing these?

Kirsten is absolutely correct, although I haven't seen such a strong reaction to pearls since Nancy Pelosi took office wore her famous strand to her swearing in ceremony; a mixed strand of gorgeous Tahitian and South Sea pearls in shades of Dove Grey, Gold and Silver, carefully arranged to maximize the message of power, elegance and at the same time, an openness to new ideas.

Pearls are the perfect wardrobe choice for women in positions of prominence- they are the essential accoutrement to the modern-day Power Suit, and women in politics understand this intrinsically.

People will form an impression of you within seven seconds of your first meeting. Every successful executive knows these first impressions can either make or break her sale. Well-chosen accessories such as a strand of pearls or simple Akoya studs help cement the impression that your no-nonsense approach to style extends to your business world as well.

A well-chosen strand of pearls doesn't need anything else to enhance them. Pearl jewelry does not need flowery garlands of gold, dangling gemstones or other unnecessary details. Pearls stand alone, unique and unfettered by excess, and they consistently convey an image of the serious and straightforward- yet chic- woman who is in control of her world.

Yes, well said.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
And it's strange that something as decorative as pearls adds kudos and credibility to a lady's image. More so than any other type of jewellery or gemstone.
In my opinion, that is.

Ashley said:
Pearl jewelry does not need flowery garlands of gold, dangling gemstones or other unnecessary details.

Strands do need clasps ;)

Do you do allot without or with hidden ones?

Pearl jewelry does not need flowery garlands of gold, dangling gemstones or other unnecessary details.
For example, this one-off art piece that we were offered and passed on last year (95 SS gold keshi and mother of pearl). My wife wouldn't wear it, and I imagine Pelosi would not have passed the House emergency bill with it this week, either!

Attachments

• SSGoldKeshiNecklace.jpg
    SSGoldKeshiNecklace.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 67
smetzler said:
I imagine Pelosi would not have passed the House emergency bill with it

LOL! Please tell me those white flowers are not flattish MOP carvings :eek:

Even the freshwater concoction below seems better. Liked it, in fact... but those were too big. I ended up with a rope of much smaller 'flowers' - now used on a small evening purse.

bonhamssanfran07fa0.png

Even the freshwater concoction below seems better. Liked it, in fact... but those were too big. I ended up with a rope of much smaller 'flowers' - now used on a small evening purse.

Ooh - I really like those earrings!

Valeria, That garland is so gorgeous and WAY over the top! It very reminiscent of a piece you might see on an avant garde runway show :) Or in couture design... Or at a formal White House Gala! Oooohhh... Yum!

Many thanks for the compliments guys, obviously I feel strongly about our pearls! Particularly in a business environment. I really find that if you are going into an important meeting where you absolutely must get your point across, that dangling gold earrings and frivolous sparklies (as much as I love them!) will seriously detract not only from what you have to say but also from other people's attention spans. You want them looking at your eyes not your shoulder dusting chandeliers complete with Swarovsky.

Fun jewelry has it's time and it's place, which is exactly what I can say for the classic pearl necklace and studs (no bigger than 8mm at a business meeting! ;) )

I love dressing up a necklace with a gorgeous diamond and gold clasp as much as the next woman and in many ways I believe that an artsy clasp can be the perfect finishing touch especially for the more luxurious pearl types. I am constantly on the look out for original styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley said:
I really find that if you are going into an important meeting where you absolutely must get your point across, that dangling gold earrings and frivolous sparklies (as much as I love them!) will seriously detract ...

Wouldn't say pearly flowers are business attire...

Sometimes what is makes for a good puzzle: what would you make of a strand of round coral beads ending with the largest not much smaller then a ping pong ball? Large wearer too, but still. You'd be afraid to address the head above the beads! :rolleyes:

Different people, different places, different choices... and definitely no 'bling' (frivolous sparklies, as you say).

Back