who else carries exotics?

Kelly

I have stepped foot on the slippery slope...

I am so pleased with my exotics that came from PP yesterday, that now I'm wondering who else carries an exotic line? You were all right when you said there is something indescribable about them. Very addicting.

Hi
There are several of us who also have what PP calls exotics..me, Nerida, to name but two (europe and australia)
where are you?

Then a seller on the american continent is probably the most efficient for you (doesn't
canada have a customs agreement with america?)

To be honest, I'm not sure of what agreement, if any, is in place. My pearls were my first order outside of Canada. I know I was charged Canadian sales taxes by the delivery company when they arrived and I know there are brokerage charges for some things...beyond that?

Someone else could add some info here maybe...I know my aunt who lived in Sault ste Marie used to nip to America to post most of her mail as it worked out cheaper!

Important to know that many of the online dealers have items that are limited edition, so to speak, and may not have enough volume, or enough alike to advertise them on their websites. Soooo-pick up the phone and call! Very possible he has some exotics also---------

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a couple of vendors who sell in Canada. Keep an eye on the location in the upper right of each post. Maybe use the Google for this site found in the upper left corner of each page for mentions of Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be cheaper to buy loose pearl strands and either string yourself (if you can) or get them knotted - loose pearls don't usually attract an import duty (although they might still get a purchase/sales/vat/ type tax imposed.
I've found that fedex always tries to charge me customs - even when importing loose pearls. UPS is useless postal service (my shipments always get stuck while some clod faffs around). DHL is my shipper of choice if I don't use the post office

Hi all:

Thanks for the advice. My first strand came last week from PP, and I was charged substantial sales taxes, but not brokerage (Fedex). The sales tax is enough, believe me, without paying brokerage.

I have considered buying unstrung stands and knotting myself. As I plan on wearing my pearls often, it is a skill that will no doubt come in handy. I've been beading for years, and knotting has been something I've been meaning to try and hopefully master.

There are so many places to purchase pearls, and it can be a bit overwhelming who to turn to. I am particularly taken with exotics, keishis and baroques. Such a variability in pricing once you start tootling around. Well anyway, I appreciate you all indulging my many questions. I'd rather ask than get burned.

Hi Kelly,
Check out kojimapearl.com. Sarah has some very very nice and different pearls. Plus she is a wonderful lady and will work with you to find what you want.
Marianne
PS I grew up in Lynden, so we were practically neighbors. :)

Thank you Marianne. I have indeed checked out her site as she comes highly recommended. Jeez Louise, I thought one strand of pearls and I'd be done. You all warned me...

Sarah's site should come with a warning. It is seriously addictive.

Buying pearls from Canada

Buying pearls from Canada

I'm in Canada too. As others have said, you can expect to pay customs duty and taxes, though if an item is mailed via USPS in one of those soft mail bags (the kind with bubble wrap lining) it often comes through as a "small package" without duty. For pearls, you certainly want a shallow box inside that bag to protect your pearls.

Canada Post will charge a $5 handling fee to collect taxes from you when they deliver your package in Canada. UPS or FedEx can charge what they determine. (The couriers always charge more than USPS.)

If you are buying from a US vendor and have a friend near the border, you could get them sent there and pick them up.

I've had fabulous pearls and wonderful service from Kojima Pearl!

Hi Kathleen:

I appreciate this info. Learn from others experience and get some solid referrals.

Back