Which Thread?

In all honesty, I wouldn't try regular tape... I've tried it when desperate, and it didn't work! Granted at that point my fingers were so sore that I would try just about anything. This tape is nice because it's more similar to fabric in texture, and with it being medical tape it's much more flexible. I find smaller pieces work better.

I'm lucky in that I got mine from my friends mom, but I asked her and she said any medical supply company would carry that tape as it's pretty common. It's a saving grace for me when I'm stringing large orders.. I'll look online and see what I can also come up with for you.

Caitlin Williams said:
I am looking online even as we write.:D
Caitlin,
did you manage to find your tape? I looked around for a bit, but most of what I found was being sold in larger lots..

Drea

Interesting thread. Never needed to tape my fingers. Got some nice callouses though on my little fingers on the outside of the first knuckle joint. Has anyone tried quilting tape? Just a thought. It's quite good for other beading tasks without leaving a residue and is easily removed. Also, what about those rubber fingertips available at office supply stores. May be more durable and less cumbersome than tape. Just a thought.

tape and thread

tape and thread

I have had cracks and splits on my fingers from large amounts of knotting or knotting on dandyline or parachute cord: they will cut your fingers. I use cheap translucent tape, narrow type. Any medical tape absorbs dirt and grime from the air and around you so I could never get it to last well. Cheap scotch tape is thinner and more flexible, it doesn't crack, slick for the cord to slide over it well, applies and removes easily, and you can get 4 rolls for a dollar.:)

3rd pearl said:
I have had cracks and splits on my fingers from large amounts of knotting.. I use cheap translucent tape, narrow type. Any medical tape absorbs dirt and grime from the air and around you so I could never get it to last well. Cheap scotch tape is thinner and more flexible, it doesn't crack, slick for the cord to slide over it well, applies and removes easily, and you can get 4 rolls for a dollar.:)

hi knotty..
I've never tried quilting tape, to be honest with you I didn't know there was such a thing (can you tell I'm not a quilter!!) I couldn't imagine using those rubber things you can get at an office supply store! I'd think they would be quite bulky and hard to knot with.. :) funny thought though!

3rd pearl,
I've had the same thing happen to my fingers with lots of knotting.. I've never had a problem with the medical tape.. I wonder if you tried a different type or maybe its where you put it on..? (pardon the pun) The type I use is far less bulky and much more flexible than regular tape.. just my 2 cents though..

I guess I don't understand where the cracks are happening. Like I said, I have some callouses, but nothing to write home about. I can see where using the synthetics would give you problems. Just another thought here, there is a tendency to make knotting a test of strength when it really isn't. Maybe using a lighter touch would help some.

Knotty you are very lucky you have nothing to write home about!
It's not always as extreme as that, but not much fun regardless.. I guess anything that you do for hours and hours is bound to take its toll! All worth it in the end though!

I guess it all depends how many strands you are doing, and perhaps how you string?? Who knows.. I wonder what the women in Asia would have to say about this..?

Please tell me what areas of your hand you are applying tape to.

I put the tape on my index finger near the top of my finger.. but only a small piece otherwise it will make it more difficult to knot with.. To be honest most of the time I don't need the tape, but at really busy times of the year it comes in handy.

Ahhhh. Perhaps the reason I don't experience that is I have nails and I do use them just as I would any other tool. They are doing their job -- protecting my fingers. :)

Back