Which is Akoya/Freshwater?

The pearls in photo #1 are 9mm. The pearls in photo #2 are 7.8mm

The pairs are both beautiful but my guess is that #2 are the Akoyas. Why? Just because 9 mm AAA Akoyas are quite rare reg size and I don?t think Terry would miss such a thing with regard to the difference in price for a pair of 9 mm Freshwater and the same size and grade for Akoyas.:rolleyes:

I think #2 are the akoya pearls.
To me they look a little more pinkish than the pearls in #1.

Sheila

I would guess they are AA from saltwater grading, but it's been years since I did any any of that, plus I don't know what physical objects are surrounding it, so it's pretty much impossible for me to tell the grade. and I think #1 is the FW pearls (pm me, I just gotta know)!

I have been saying for years that there is alot of room for FW/saltwater pearls to be the same grade, same luster and everything, for my money I am always on the side of the FW tissue nucliated pearl.

The only reason I think photo 1 could be the akoya is that when I stand back about six feet they look/feel rounder to be. But, I have to be the first to say I don't have calibrated eyeballs. And, I do have black pearls so what I think I see can be very misleading.
Terry, this is killing me. Are you ever going to tell or are we just going to explode?
Really, I must know.

You know, the top one looks rounder in the picture to me as well, but I'm not certain why, because they are both round.

Ok, here's the answer...

The top one is FW, the bottom is Akoya.

Yay, it's nice to guess correctly, but even better to be put out of our misery!! Thanks for letting us know, Terry! They are gorgeous pearls!

Thanks Terry:
As soon as Sheila said the 2nd pair was pinkish I figured my neck was in danger. It's good to compare that freshwater can be so beautiful even next to the akoya. That first pair is really nice looking!
Oddly enough, even though I am completely in the thrall of gem grade FW and Freshadama I find myself looking at the akoya and Hanadama often.
Having two pairs side by side like that really underscores the value of getting the best quality you can no matter what your preference is.
barbie

freshwater vs akoya nacre? FW dye jobs?

freshwater vs akoya nacre? FW dye jobs?

I couldn't tell which pearl was FW and which saltwater, but then I am a newbie, still in PearlSchool Kindergarten.

I visited Gemologist's undrilledpearl website mentioned in this thread (great prices !!!), and I'm wondering why it's mentioned on the site that freshwater pearls have thicker nacre than Akoyas.

Is the same true when comparing FW nacre to Tahitian or SouthSea pearls?

If freshwater are dyed, how do you know the dye job is good and you won't be embarrassed at a garden party on some hot day when the perspiration on your cleavage is peacock colored. :D

Seriously, how can one determine a quality dye job.

Also, if a strand of pearls is dyed, why wouldn't the maker/jeweler ensure that each strand is composed of pearls selected from various batches, assuming there are slight color variations among batches. . . . so they look more natural on the necklace or strand? Seems to me to be a logical idea.

I'm afraid that with the outrageous colors of some FW and the fact that they are perfectly matched in color, will over time change the trend in preferences and fashion (especially among youngest buyers), and make the subtle variations /imperfections in swc pearls (as well as smaller pearls and graduated necklaces) a total thing of the past . . .

. . . so that wearing the older and cultured pearls would be like playing your great grandmother's Lawrence Welk 78 rpm record at your party.

I am tempted to buy the pearl below on EBay. I'm sure it's freshwater dyed because of the price, but I think this one has a nice dye job. Yes?

2663107070103716725bNzkwd_ph.jpg

PearlPoor[/FONT]

Freshwater pearls' nacre thickness is not a quality consideration. Freshwater pearls are composed of solid nacre with an occasional hair-line void in the center that is visible on X-rays.

I have seen certificates produced by retailers of freshwater pearls and Web sites selling them claiming "nacre very thick". This makes no sense whatsoever. It would tell me that there is no real grading going on as quality attributes are simply being thrown around with no meaning. The only way one freshwater pearl has thicker nacre than another is if it is larger than the other. But on a relative basis the nacre depth is exactly the same; whether the pearl is a gem-grade round or a junk-grade lump of chalk.

When bean-nukes become more prevalent (round bead-nukes), nacre thickness may eventually become a quality factor. But that is still a ways off.

Regarding the dye job, I would not worry about it coming off at a party;) For the most part, organic dyes are permanent as the compound has been soaked up by the nacre though a process of heating and pressure (like a pressure cooker).

As for the colors, variations are sometimes used, but primarily in darker-color freshwater.
We use a combination of Tahitian colors in ours. http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=1191

This color is custom. You will not usually see color combinations this at tradeshows. Most of the time, dyed freshwater are a single color on a single temporary strand. We mix the different hues to create the multi-hued effect.

Regarding the eBay pearl, the picture is not coming up for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the dye job subject, I have a pair of 6mm black freshwater pearls that are on posts for earrings (with tahitians hanging from them on chains). I've only worn them about 10 times so far, but every time I take them off, I have a little dark circle on my ear from the dye. I always thought dye was permanent, but it's certainly not for those.

To be clear, these pearls didn't come from any of the P-G oft-mentioned vendors, but they did come from a reputable local jeweler known for their pearls so I was surprised. On the other hand, the 3 strands of dyed freshwaters I have from TPO (the only other place where I've gotten dyed freshwaters), have all been great with no problems at all!

Anyone else had this happen?

Dear Gravity: No, colored pearls or gemstones does not necessarily mean they are colorfast. Reputable vendors will divulge whether stones/pearls are colorfast, and the retailer should divulge that as well. Imagine wearing a dyed ruby necklace with a white silk blouse and being caught in a rainstorm. If you suspect your jewelry items are not colorfast, you can do it yourself at home with a quick colorfast soak.

When bean-nukes become more prevalent (round bead-nukes), nacre thickness may eventually become a quality factor. But that is still a ways off.

Bean nukes? Is that a typo or is that a new shape we can look forward to? Thanks!

Back