Where can I see SS pearls in Sydney or NSW?

Hello everyone, am new to the forum but have been selling pearls privately for a few years now. Am on a round the world trip and spending 6 days in sydney and NSW. Is there anyone there who is as passionate about pearls as I am and who could direct me to nearby sources of ss pearls. I have heard about pearl farms about one and a half hours north of Sydney but don't know what kind they are or how to contact them. Help!!

Contacting a farm in Australia will not do you much good. Unless you show up with a suitcase of neatly stacked 100 Euro notes, they are not going to give you the time of day. I am not familiar with any farms near Sydney either. As far as I am aware all the pearls farm are in the western and northern territories.

You need to contact a broker or a wholesaler, and this you can do in Sydney. Both Paspaley and Autore have wholesale offices in Sydney. You will probably have better luck with Autore than Paspaley as Paspaley usually prefers to 'invite' buyers after doing their research.

Paspaley Wholesale
Australian Pearl Centre Sydney
2 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000, Australia

Autore Wholesale
Autore South Sea Pearls Pty Limited
L 5 125 York St, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Pearls

Pearls

Paspaley and Autore have most of Australian production under their belts but would still be a source for viewing some product. Not sure if even a suitcase of cash would get you much from the farm gate!

By far one of the most passionate people about pearls in Australia is David Norman. He used to be head pearl man at Kailis before striking out on his own with Aquarian Pearls. Contact him at david@aquarianpearls.com.au. He sources from various areas/countries.

Farms north of Sydney would be the newer Akoya farms. Not sure if they are in a position to sell direct, if they have any product available. The main one has Japanese partners and as such I dare say that the pearls would end up in Japan.

A bit late.

But as far as I can remember there was a store in the lobby of the city Hilton that used to sell stuff from Paspaley.

Don't know if the store's still there though. I haven't been there since before they did the refurb to the hotel.

Back