What happened to these pearls?

yes they are heat treated and dyed fresh water pearls, dyed in India and the surface is smooth as in the photo. It can be mistaken for Tahiti Pearls.

Hi Sven, the pearls are just dyed and no other surface treatment has been done

Hi Pattye,

yes, you are correct I have dyed fine pearls as my customer wanted them to be
used with fine quality tahitian pearls and was having difficulty in finding smaller sizes in tahitian pearls and didn't wanted to use regular dyed Fresh water pearls available in China & Hongkong.
And of course there is price advantage depending upon size.

Okay, LisaC, here are two shots of pearls coated with colored lacquer. The lacquer has held up very well - a necklace made of these pearls basically looks the same after five years of regular wear. And even thought they have lots of blemishes, my friend who wears it gets tons of compliments on it. It's a personality piece. :)

bead%20rd%20orange[1].jpg

bead%20rd%20or%20close[1].jpg

Oh -- no one would do this to better pearls because it would reduce their value. Poor pearls benefit when it's a stable treatment.

Hurray!!! thank you GG! for the photos, and for the reassurance that when done correctly, the dye/coating will last (at least these have for 5 years). Did she mention if they ever felt sticky after wiping with water? I'm guessing that they don't.

I think that my pearls were either an early dye, or done on the 'cheap' knowingly... I hope I saved the receipt :mad:

Just kidding ;)- that was a long time ago purchase, pretty inexpensive and I really like how they're turning out now, as whatever it is, is wearing off. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
Back