What do you reach for most?

I have a light peacock Tahitian pendant that gets worn a lot, or my oval freshwaters strand. I wear a baroque 11mm peacock tahitian bracelet quite a lot.

Hum, I wear my lav-pink PP fw baroques alot, also the Oregon sunstone and pearl ropes I made to take to Tucson Gem Show. I will put photos of them up soon. I am kinda into ropes right now. I have some strands I need to get made up, so knotting practice for me next week!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi everyone!

I have no special favorites when it comes to colours, I rather seem to be hooked on size.
Every strand which has pearls larger than 8 mm is a favorite, but I try to switch my pearls so all of them get a little humidity once in a while.

My peachy/pink rope I do not wear very often because I am afraid of the pearls getting caught on something and having to restring it (it is 246 cm long) as I bought this one so I am not an expert in stringing long strands yet....at the points where to get in a new thread....:eek:

Karl:
I can't believe what a great grasp you have of all the pieces of jewelry your wife has! OH my goodness!

Pattye:
I am dyyyying to see your Oregon Sunstone. I just love it. Post as soon as you can, okay?

I know I said my current fav. is a white keishi, and it is, but my all time favorite is the necklace Natalie put together for me last August. I think it probably always will be. She did such a great job with the colors and the sizes are so perfect for the design. That piece came out looking so sweet. Every time I put it on I marvel at what a great eye she has!

One of these days I'll string the 8.5 to 9.5 oval exotics I got. There is a great light gold drop on there and I can't decide to take it off and do something with it. But I can't decide to string it up either. What to doooo....

barbie

Barbie:

My knowledge of my wife's jewelry comes from experience...I bought most of it for her! When we began dating (long time ago) she just had some gold earings and a couple of chains. It has expanded greatly since then. I have no idea why, but I can pretty much remember every piece that I bought her...I just can't remember where I leave my keys...

Karl

Hi Karl,

At least you have your priorities straight! :D;)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Good Morning Everyone -

This is so interesting to hear everyone's preferences.

I wear my white FW baroque earrings all the time and am in the process of adding to my pearl earring (among other pieces, ahem) wardrobe. Earrings, in general, are a great way for me to enjoy pearls no matter where I am (office, construction site...out dancing, even).

Now I have ordered a pair of lavender 8-9mm freshadama studs and sense that there will be many more of that ilk in my future. I Can't Wait For Them To Get Here!! :D

I have to change my reply, because now that I have the exotics, I wear those the most!

I have to change my reply, because now that I have the exotics, I wear those the most!

Truly - I wish I had been "in the know" at the time of that offering. From all the photos, the exotics are just stunning! I can understand reaching for them often.

My husband and I went out window shopping today in a nearby town (just an excuse to go strolling-- too nice to stay in!) I was wearing my 8-9mm round exotics, and the saleslady at a jewelry store we browsed in complimented me on them.

They are so versatile.

Last week I saw a hand crafted necklace with large oval exotics at another local goldsmith's shop-- it was obviously a one of a kind piece-- 20" and $275. Don't dismiss your local boutiques or jewelry shops if they sell designer pieces-- you may find exotics there.

Hah, sorry, I'm bumping this because I really like the responses, it helps me decide what to buy next!

For me, I wear my pearl pendants more than anything else. So far, the main problem is finding gold chains for them (I hate having to shell out money for gold chains, it seems like such a waste), but once they've all gotten their own chain, I think I'll wear them more often.

I had a small, flawless (incredible luster, very pink undertones) maybe 6-7mm drop FW pendant that I loved, but I lost it on vacation. It was my "everyday" necklace, and I miss it terribly. Anyway, I bought a replacement from Druzy (replacement is 10-12mm), and I'm just waiting on a new chain (again, why is gold so expensive?).

So, I mostly alternate between that and my GSS pendant (11-12mm) from PP. I JUST got the classic, white 7-8mm Freshadama strand, and I'll probably wear that with all my dresses (2x weekly dinners).

I'm also trying to reestablish my collection of pearl studs, if I have a pair, I pretty much just wear them until I lose them.

Hi Callire
It may be a silly question but can the pendants not share a chain. If they are made so that they cannot be removed from their chains then you need to fit them on to enhancer fittings so that they CAN be moved.

Hi Callire -

A suggestion for chain purchasing: I have gotten almost all of my chains from numanistics (coin/jewelery - often pawn) shops. If you have a stable one that focuses on precious metals in your area they will likely be happy to order findings for you, including gold chains. That way you'll pay only for the chain and no designer or brand markup premiums. You may also luck out and find something remarkable...

Good ideas! I'll see if I can find a pawn shop somewhere. I do try to have them share chains, but I frequently move from school-home, so I usually take one or two complete necklaces with me and it's harder for me to lose the pendants if they are in with a chain. Plus, somehow I'm slightly OCD and I like the idea of each one having its own chain (yeah, I know I'm crazy). But, I think I'll just buy one chain for now to replace my broken one, and alternate unless I find another super great deal. To the pawn shops!!

(On another note, I'm slightly miffed at my local jewelry shop... They have some GORGEOUS pearls in the window- tahitian lariats, chocolate strands, keshi necklaces/earrings- but it's open appointment only. Meh. They won't let me browse.)

I have to find a thread for you... one of the P-Gers made great chains with tiny beads...be back when I find it...

Hi Callire,

but it's open appointment only

How about making an appointment and telling them you are studying pearls and will be reporting on their store for an online pearl forum?

Or--you are dating a wealthy sheik's son who wants you to find a worthy Christmas present???

Let's help Callire think of reasons to make an appointment at the SPS (snooty pearl shop).

I think they will be amazed at your knowledge of pearls---

I like your idea of saying you're studying pearls - that is a good way to get an appointment.

I live in the Silicon Valley - Ca - the land of many multi-millionaires. Too bad I'm not one. But it is very hard around here to assess the Have moneys and the have nots. Quite many many engineers here who work for Google or other start-ups have all of a sudden gotten rich on stock options. So it's very interesting to watch the retail stores here. The sales persons cannot tell if you're wealthy or not. Therefore they do treat everyone with respect, unlike some other places.

I know that in Taiwan, the salespersons won't even give you the time of day, if you're not dressed properly.

One of hubby's college friends started a company and sold it for multi-millions and we often see him around town toting his kids in sweat pants and a t-shirt. Then you see him get into his $100K Mercedes Benz. LOL.

So, Callire, I think either of those would work... or say - your boyfriend works at Google. :)

Don't dismiss your local boutiques or jewelry shops if they sell designer pieces--

Thanks for recognizing this! Small local shops are where most of my designs end up.

Hilarious! I love it!

I drove by SPS today and I was SHOCKED to see that it was actually "Open." Of course, I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops along with my new Freshadamas, so I didn't go in. No, I will plan my trip very, very carefully. (Hehehe) I'm thinking of wearing (designer) jeans, a nice shirt and a blazer (business casual here) along with my upcoming pink Freshadamas (ordered!) and say that my boss sent me to find something nice for his wife.

(and OMG- they have exotics!! They are so, so pretty. I was so excited, they really have an excellent window display... I barely resisted the urge to press my nose against the glass. It's not just the typical FW or Akoya, they really have an excellent selection of baraoque, keshi, etc. etc. much more than a typical shop)

Back