What do you reach for most?

X

xeresana

I'm curious to see what people really wear the most. I, of course, own an 18" 8mm strand of white pearls, ros? overtone, and matching earrings. Classic, right? Surely something I thought I would wear all the time. And do I? Hardly. What do I reach for again and again? A pair of baroque drop golden South Sea earrings from Care Ehret. Do you have "everyday" pearls? What are they? Am I the lone nut leaving her classic white rounds, sitting lonely in the drawer?

Good question. Lately, I can't stop wearing my Sea of Cortez pearls by Care Ehret. The way the color shifts, they adapt to the color you're wearing.;)

Hi xeresana,

My 12mm SMOOTH gem grade purple-pink Kasumi earrings. My Sea of Cortez pearls(Alright, GemGeek!),because those actually ARE rare and ARE eco-farmed. A honking white SS keshi necklace. Of course, there is a huge mountain of other stuff in my closet but it's hard digging everything out all the time. Oh yah, there's the big 16.5mm white SS perfect drop with killer orient set in brushed 22K.

AND......a natural red FW necklace from Lop Noor given to me by the Dalai Lama as a gift. Only one other person on earth has another one.

Slraep

Most often I reach for the strand of 11-11.5 mm circl? peacock dyed freshwater pearls I made this fall. The necklace is 18" and I made matching earrings. They have great colors and they feel rich. I've noticed people's eyes on them when I wear them.

I have built up a nice sized collection and have lots of options to choose from, but I have noticed that I go through "phases" where I will wear a particular piece frequently (although not exclusively) and then move onto something else. I don't tend to wear necklaces very much in winter because they get lost under all the layers of clothes I pile on! Currently I am spending a lot of time with my Cortez pearl earrings. Before it got cold, I favored wearing a black FW keishi necklace - it seemed to go nicely with the more muted colors I was wearing (lots of greys and navys).

I have found that I mostly reach out for my freshwater drop pearl black (or almost black) earrings....they look nice and are easy to slip on. Rarely wear necklaces in winter, because of all the layers of clothing around my neck anyway. But I do love to wear my multi-colored pearl pendant which rests on a silver wire necklace, when the weather is more necklace-friendly here in Tianjin! Looks under-stated, but elegant!:)

Lately, I've been wearing TPO's dyed black freshwater 60in rope and the matching 9mm earrings. The various colors on the pearls match everything.

Yes, Ana, you do!

My untreated, freshwater white baroque earrings on ear wires from PP. So easy to slip on and they always look great. I have a matching bracelet as well that gets a lot of use.

I usually wear my round necklaces on the weekends if we have some event or dinner to go to. Love them, but they don't get as much use as the baroques.

:eek: Lately the highlight of my day is going to Costco or the postoffice--so I mostly reach for the Murano glass stars with pearls, earrings and charm pendant, I showed on my "lowly beaders" post recently. I made them in several colors, including mauve with lavender pearls.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

I have many choices but I seem to wear a baroque(circle) tahitian strand I got last Xmas from PP. Large (13-17.5mm) with great character. Most people don't even realize that it is a real pearl necklace. I have a SS golden that I like too-Kirsten at PP says it look like "Irish butter" and I have to agree. I hope in the near future that I have a Sea of Cortez pearl necklace to reach for. I have put it in on the list for "Santa" but I don't know if he is listening to me.....

Hi all members and other guests of this site!

In a way it would be much easier to choose a favorite if you have just a few to choose from.

I have many necklaces so in order to get them the right moistore and being "just" towards their different beauty, I try to wear every of them at least once in a couple of weeks.

However, I don?t want to complain having too many, it is very nice to be able to change every day.

I haven?t got any Sea of Cortez pearls yet, so they are on my future list of pearls. ;)

In general I do like my larger pearls better than the small ones, don?t know why, but they make me feel good and that what should count, I believe. Enjoy Your pearls!

Do you all wear other necklaces, earrings, etc. as well as your pearls? I have favorites-- kyanite, various tourmalines, amethyst, and my Mother & Child pendant-- which also get their turn!

Pearl_dreams said:
Do you all wear other necklaces, earrings, etc. as well as your pearls?

I wear pearls most, but not exclusively. I have a number of pieces of non-pearl jewelry that were given to me as gifts and have sentimental value that adds to their beauty. I have some pieces also that are a "perfect fit" for a particular outfit. One of my favorite non-pearl pieces is a pair of earrings I made from Christmas ornaments I got from Smith and Hawken - they are clear glass drops about 3/4 of an inch long that look like drops of rain.

I love all my pearls. In the summer I wore a pearl strand almost daily and I switched them around a lot. But lately since it's been cold I'm wearing my white 11mm freshwater potato shaped dangles all the time. They go with all my sweaters.

Pearl_dreams said:
Do you all wear other necklaces, earrings, etc. as well as your pearls? I have favorites-- kyanite, various tourmalines, amethyst, and my Mother & Child pendant-- which also get their turn!

I am a coloured gem and mineral nut(collector)and I had a business for many years ferreting out prime stuff for clients but I do not agree with many of the mining practices around the world, so I quit that. I have been into coloured gems ever since I was a kid. It all started when I was six years old and my mom forcefully dragged me along to every jewellery store in the province. All because she could never find a babysitter when she needed one.

Tourmaline, spessertine, Quebec mangano-vesuvianite, apatite, paraiba, eudialite, holly berry chalcedony, peridot, kornerupine, Sri Lankan clear rainbow moonstone, sphene, demantoid, alexandrite, pezzottaite, tsavorite,.......etc, etc. Gotta stop, I'm giving myself a headache.

Slraep

Slraep said:
I am a coloured gem and mineral nut(collector)and I had a business for many years ferreting out prime stuff for clients but I do not agree with many of the mining practices around the world, so I quit that. I have been into coloured gems ever since I was a kid. It all started when I was six years old and my mom forcefully dragged me along to every jewellery store in the province. All because she could never find a babysitter when she needed one.

Tourmaline, spessertine, Quebec mangano-vesuvianite, apatite, paraiba, eudialite, holly berry chalcedony, peridot, kornerupine, Sri Lankan clear rainbow moonstone, sphene, demantoid, alexandrite, pezzottaite, tsavorite,.......etc, etc. Gotta stop, I'm giving myself a headache.

Slraep

My dad had a big board with minerals and gem crystals glued on it and he had taught me all the names by the time I was four years old. I guess it's in the blood.;) I'll bet it was a lot more fun going shopping with your Mom!

I have nine of the above in gemstone form. I have a bracelet and ring set with Sri Lankan clear rainbow moonstone in yellow gold and I love them. Sphene and Demantoid are also favorites.

I've always wondered how kryptonite would look with tahitians?
Seriously, my Mom and I had a running argument for years because she loved diamonds and I hated 'em. I always wanted rubies. And pearls. And rubies. And pearls.

Oh, and I have this really cool little necklace made of stones I can't remember the name of, but they are three greenes and three pink stones, repeated throughout. I keep wanting to try to do that with pearls. (Tahitians and Freshadama?)

May current favorite necklace is white keishi, though I wear something different almost every day. But I have no white pearl earrings. Must order some freshadama's.
barbie

The pearls my wife wears most often, lately, are the exotic 8.5 - 9.5's baroques that I recently gave her...she absolutely loves them! Prior to them, she would where the 11-12mm black FW pearls with peacock coloring or the pink 7.5-8 mm strands the most. The rest of the time she wears the 7.5 -8 m akoyas, her triple pearl and gold bead strand or one of a couple of others. She only wears her 9 mm AAA akoyas on special occasions.

Outside of pearls, she wears her heavy gold charm necklace the most. It has 2 gold heart pendants with all of her children's pictures, along with charms from neices, husband, and other family members.

She has a ton of other pieces of various gems and gold...but I hardly ever see her wear any of them.

Last edited:
Back