Wedding Earrings

Greg

Im looking to get my fiance a pair of pearl drop earrings for the wedding and have a few questions...

What variety of pearls do people normally get for earrings?
What is a good size?

What I'd like to get are some nice AAA akoya pearl drop earrings, however I am afraid that even if I get ones that are 9mm (some of the largest akoya), they might still be a bit small.
These are the ones I was looking http://www.americanpearl.com/japanese-akoya-pearl-sheperds-hook-earring.html
I was planning to get them in platinum or sterling silver since my fiance is allergic to Nickel and all of the white gold that american companies use contains Nickel.

So what are your thoughts? Will 8.75mm akoyas be big enough? Or should I switch to freshwater and go for something a bit bigger?

I just Googled to see if platinum or sterling silver contain nickel, and it seems they don't. (I had always assumed sterling silver did because it sometimes irritates my earlobes.)

On me, dangle pearls just look smaller than studs. I feel like I have to go to a larger size with dangles.

Will she be wearing a pearl necklace? If so, the pearl earrings should be at least as large, or preferably larger, than the necklace pearls.

Also in the UK nickel is not allowed in jewelry, so you might order from there. A UK vendor who is a member of this forum is pearlescence. http://www.pearlescence.co.uk

You might also ask US vendors if they have nickel-free findings. I think the US is really behind the UK in this matter. Nickel sensitivity is common.

Also, if you want to go larger but don't want freshwater pearls, a luxurious option is white south sea pearls....

I would recommend NOT using a shepherd's hook setting, as they are too easy to lose. They work they way out of the ear. Find another setting that is secure. Something with a post or a leverback. If you check with the vendor, they can often get you something similar to a setting that's in gold, but in the metal of your choice.

Here's Pearl Paradises earring setting page. But you can have any pearls mounted in any setting.

https://www.pearlparadise.com/collections/earring-settings

@PearlDreams - Hadnt thought of trying to find a store in England. Although I imagine the import fees and such will be costly. So far i've only asked PearlSource and they dont offer any metals without Nickel, aside from a select few in silver. But they wont do custom orders. AmericanPearl does do custom orders and offers at least 2 Nickel free options (silver and Pt).

@BWeaves - My fiance has a pair of fishhook earings that she wears all the time and they never come out, so maybe it depends on the specific fishhook or the persons ear. That said, it wasnt something I had thought about, so thank you.

One additional question... I notice some of the earrings say that the pearl is "half drilled" or "full drilled". Has anyone had issues with pearls falling off of a dangling earring? Is this a concern?

@PearlDreams - As far as I know of she will not be wearing a pearl necklace (she doesnt have one yet). She does plan to wear a necklace though. I had originally debated getting her a pearl necklace instead, but decided that might be a good gift for an anniversary. I dunno. Im looking to spend no more than $500-600 (preferably less if going the earring route).

I prefer half drilled for earrings. Full drilled always makes me feel like the pearls were left over from a necklace (and there's nothing wrong with that).

You might also want to check out Pearl Paradise. You might be able to get a necklace and matching drop earrings within your price range.

What a wonderful idea for a gift! Couple of questions that might impact your decision...what is her style? Does she tend toward edgy or steer to the classics? How about her hair...will she be wearing it up or down? Does she prefer to wear earrings that dangle from the lobe, or ones that sit on the ear? I like a little bit of sparkle with a pearl, especially for a wedding...either a tiny diamond, or a teenie sapphire might be nice.

If you go the freshwater pearl route, look for higher-end ones that have a round shape and high luster. Earring pearls should be top notch IMO.

I've bought pearls from overseas numerous times and have never been charged a customs fee. The US is pretty generous in allowing imports. But if you can get a custom finding here in the US, it might be best to do so. You could contact Pearl Paradise and see if they have nickel-free findings or can get them for you. Or go with American Pearl if you like what they have.

One can buy little silicone grips to slide on a French hook behind the ear to prevent the earring from slipping off.

I have never lost a pearl earring from a half-drilled finding; they are glued in securely.

I really like the ones you picked out. I've purchased from American Pearl before, and everything has been of good quality. I'd go with platinum over sterling silver, just because they are going to be special occasion earrings, and silver will tarnish over time.

Also, I find with the thicker shepherd hooks, falling out isn't a problem. It's just the very fine wires that I find do this. I have a pair of shepherd hooks from American Pearl and they don't slip at all.

What a sweetie you are - looking for such a lovely present !!

I agree with cmd - some hooks are quite fine and they are also quite short and they can lift out heavier hooks stay put. I prefer the shepards hooks but I use a heavier wire and make the backs long. However as PD mentioned you can get little clear silicone stoppers that fit on the back so the hook can't slide out. I always recommend them for wintertime..scarves and coat collars might lift the hook.

Personally I like the idea of a bit of bling with them for a wedding but it does depend on her taste and the dress. If you call PP and ask I'm sure they could get you some nickel free findings - but something like this would be nice...bit of bling and shouldn't fall off !
https://www.pearlparadise.com/colle...d-diamond-dangle-earrings?variant=40742168967

What about one of these 3 kinds of earrings in silver?

I like the Bauhaus best, personally. I think that would look very elegant with a wedding gown. There is a bit of movement to that earring-- there's a joint up there at the top. PP also sells a matching pendant; you could get both and stay within budget, and if you get them at the same time PP could match the tone of the pearls-- and Freshadama is their best grade of freshwater pearl.
Bauhaus Pendant matching the earrings below: https://www.pearlparadise.com/products/bauhaus-collection-freshadama-pearl-pendant

Bauhaus earrings: https://www.pearlparadise.com/produ...freshadama-pearl-earrings?variant=40742255623

https://www.pearlparadise.com/products/reuleaux-collection-white-freshadama-95-100-pearl-and-diamond-earrings?variant=40742287751

https://www.pearlparadise.com/products/hera-collection-akoya-85-90-pearl-and-diamond-earrings?variant=40742583751

As far as being concerned about tarnish, I store my silver jewelry with a few small anti-tarnish square papers -- they work pretty well. To buff up if necessary, Sunshine cloths now come in a blue version that is even gentler than the yellow, and makes a high polish.

Let me see if I can find a photo of BAS with her Bauhaus earrings.

Okay, found one-- wouldn't that look great with a wedding gown? And the pearls are 9-10mm.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Also in the UK nickel is not allowed in jewelry, so you might order from there. A UK vendor who is a member of this forum is pearlescence. http://www.pearlescence.co.uk
Hi PD - I was just writing a post and saw the above! Yes, you are correct, It's European Union law that nothing which comes in contact with skin contains nickel (or lead and a couple of other metals too).
We ship a lot to the US. Thanks to brexit the £ (GBP) has tanked so all our exports look really cheap. Duty isn't as much as you might think. I think America lets in quite a lot before duty is levied (someone else will know)
As a thought ..it might be better to involve your fiance.. much will depend on her hairstyle and whether she is wearing any other jewellery

What a lovely gift idea! I also wore Akoya pearl earrings to my wedding :)

I have no further suggestions for you, but please come back and let us know what you decide on. We love seeing photos!

I agree with pearlescence about including your fiancée in this. I think most brides are picky about their wedding wear, what they prefer, what goes with what and so on.

For example, if her dress is more ivory rather than white, she may prefer pearls that match.

Then, even if she's said she wants dangles rather than posts, that covers a whole lot of ground.

What necklace she wears and if her hair is worn up or down will also likely figure in.

The style of her dress is another thing. She might like a more modern, sleek look in earrings if that's what her dress is, or something more filigree-like or whatever if her dress is more frills and lace...

I shudder to think of what my dear Mr. Urchin might have picked out for me lol.

I agree with pearlescence and Sea Urchin in that you might want to consult with your fiancé. You are a dear to want to give this gift to her, and to be doing this research, but I suspect she may have very definate ideas about what she wants to wear. Good luck and plz post pictures!

Thanks for all the responses. So my next question is, my fiance has really pale skin and I've read that white pearls against pale skin usually dont go well. Not to mention her dress is ivory/white. All of the PearlParadise freshadama pearls look white white. So Im wondering what would be the best route to take? Some websites such as PearlSource offer their Akoyas in a rose overtone. So many choices! I wish there was a showroom in Boston. If only I could see the color of the specific set I was buying.

Back