Tucson 2010

Well, I got completely sidelined and missed the pearl walk. Man o man, those are some butt-ugly pearls you saw! :eek:

The good news was that I introduced Steve to several people at GIA who immediately took him in hand. He was interviewed by Dona Dirlam, while Robert Weldon, the famous gem photographer, stopped everything to shoot Steve's pipi ring and ab/pipi pin and as many nautilus type pearls as he had time for, before his lecture.

Afterward, we had a private visit with Elisabeth Strack until Steve had to leave. I had lunch with Elisabeth and she asked me to go with her to see the Stern's natural pearls on display at GJX. They were absolutely beautiful.

Yes! I have muck pearls! I was there at the show opening, but one guy beat me to the Sea Hunt booth and got all the largest good ones. Even so, I managed to buy some incredible pearls, partly thanks to Jack's pulling some hidden pearls from under the pile. Moments after I arrived, the gem press got there - Gary Roskin of "The Roskin Gem News Report" and Stuart Robertson of the "Gem Market News". The muck pearls, now successfully renamed "souffle pearls", were the biggest news item of the show. Jack says I got some of the pearls from his press photo.

I won't be able to get daylight photos until the weekend. I already agreed to sell some of them, but I told the buyer they would have to wait until I could get some good photos first! ;)

Sorry I missed the walk. I especially wanted to spend some time with my bud John Tu. I hope he went with y'all. ;)

Last edited:
The good news was that I introduced Steve to several people at GIA who immediately took him in hand. He was interviewed by Dona Dirlam, while Robert Weldon, the famous gem photographer, stopped everything to shoot Steve's pipi ring and ab/pipi pin and as many nautilus type pearls as he had time for, before his lecture.

Afterward, we had a private visit with Elisabeth Strack until Steve had to leave.
My sincere thanks to Blaire, as already posted over on the Nautilus thread. Talk about the fast track!

just WOW...

I'm amazed on how they were able to get those pearls to the show. In a way it will provide a quality measurement to others, who have never seen "BAD".

Oh by the way, Since I'm stuck here in Hawaii ( not saying its a bad thing :0) would anyone mind posting other pictures from the show?

Hello Everyone -

sorry I didn't join y'all for the pearl walk. Attended Elizabeth's lecture (loved the opening photo!) but had to get going right afterwards. Too many places to go and people to see.

I sat across from Jack and spoke to him about the souffle pearls. I understand they were a huge hit at the show.

Although I passed on the souffle pearls, I did aquire many strands of those wonderful natural colored blue akoyas. Baggins in GJX had some, mixed with natural color golden akoya, and then I met a couple of brothers from Kobe who had quite a nice collection of blues.

Cortez pearls were exhibiting at GJX. I met Douglas on Wed. (I think) and then went back later in the week and spoke with Enrique. They had that one magnificent strand with them. He was very gracious and extended an invitation to visit the farm.

All in all a great trip. Perhaps next time we can meet.

julie.

I'm sorry I missed everyone too. As many of you guessed, I was more than a little preoccupied during the morning of the pearl walk and Elizabeth's lecture. I hadn't heard from home yet as the phone lines were down from the wrath of cyclone Oli. I did get to catch up with Elizabeth later on another pearl walk which was really fun.

Do we have anyone in the Cook Islands? I heard a bad weather report for there today.

Although I passed on the souffle pearls, I did aquire many strands of those wonderful natural colored blue akoyas. Baggins in GJX had some, mixed with natural color golden akoya, and then I met a couple of brothers from Kobe who had quite a nice collection of blues.

I "thought" I saw you at the Strack lecture. I glimpsed the badge and recognized it, but missed you after the lecture. We did have a nice walk and saw a lot of great pearls.

The brothers from Kobe ... Nimesh and Manish, right?

Yes, Nimesh and Manish, that's them. They claim their pearls are Japanese in origin. Everyone else claims Vietnam. Doesn't matter to me their nationality, they're beautiful.

Also at GJX I came across some over-processed dyed pearls claiming to be the akoya blues. Fakes are already out there, so everyone keep a sharp eye out.

Nimesh said he'll be in Las Vegas this year. He also said he will be raising his prices, I think they sold out.

That was me at the lecture, and at Baggins when you were there. Didn't want to interrupt at the time. Next time I'll be sure to introduce myself and say hello.

julie.

Do we have anyone in the Cook Islands? I heard a bad weather report for there today.
From the reports Aitutaki took a direct hit (this is the famous honeymooner's blue lagoon, one of the most beautiful spots in the South Pacific) but Rarotonga was spared. Both are Southern Cooks, however, not affecting Manihiki in the north where the farming is located. Manihiki was not so lucky back in 1997 with Cyclone Martin, which completely destroyed Cook Islands pearling at the time.

Yes, Nimesh and Manish, that's them. They claim their pearls are Japanese in origin. Everyone else claims Vietnam. Doesn't matter to me their nationality, they're beautiful.

Yes, their baroques are Japanese. They stopped by Los Angeles on the way to Tucson and we selected some of them before the show. They always have some nice ones.

Back