Treasure??

Helen Hudson

I found these in Lagos and they are from Dubai. They are gritty and i have had them checked and they are freshwater pearls. Pics 1,2 and 4 ate 9-10mm and pic 3 is 5mm. If anyone can help me know if these are good quality I would be really grateful as they only cost ?5 for a 37cm strand and the earrings only 80p! There are no clasps they are just strings.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2093.jpg
    IMG_2093.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 51
Hi and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

What you have are lower-quality freshwater pearls from China. The earrings look like button shapes (which many ladies prefer over the more valuable rounds anyway, since they lie flatter against the ear.)

While they are real nacre all the way through and thus durable, the Chinese have improved their quality of culturing quite a lot in recent years, and you can find much nicer freshwater pearls nowadays (round to nearly round, blemish-free and very lustrous.) Of course these will cost more, but it's up to you.

Welcome, Helen! :)

Interesting. I used to live in Lagos. Although they are not super-valuable, they are pretty pearls and I think you paid a fair price. Now you need to check out the pearl-stringing posts at the top of the "Lowly Beader's" forum to see how you can make your cute pearls into jewelry.

True, these are great pearls to practice stringing with, and you won't need to worry about them so much.

I have pearls that I don't mind wearing when slathered in sunscreen since I didn't pay much for them!

Thank you so much for the replies. I want to string them for my friends. Would you recommend I use the smaller ones from pic 3 as they look more perfect.

It depends on your friends' size. Small pearls can seem out of proportion on larger people.

A petite woman would probably love a 16" strand of the 5mm ones, they are so classic.

Back