Tom Stern's natural pearls

Yes, incredibly beautiful.

If it's a contemporary portrait, then the Emperor picked the right princess for those pearls. (I'm also sure she received whatever she requested.)

If it is the artist's concept, then he/she was the world's greatest lover of pearls, and women.

Big Pearl

Big Pearl

Hi, All,

This is an unworked natural pearl, 30 carats and nearly 20mm, with GIA cert.

It is almost big enough to put on top of the Chinese girl's hat.

Best,
Tom

Attachments

• Pearl 29.66ct with red background.jpg
    Pearl 29.66ct with red background.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 63
It is almost big enough to put on top of the Chinese girl's hat.
In the princess's (undoubtedly bejeweled) shoes, I can imagine I'd have to try it on. Thumbnail sizing based upon her eye width, it appears your new pearl might even be an improvement to the ensemble?

Attachments

• Princess&Tom.jpg
    Princess&Tom.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 56
Chinese carving

Chinese carving

Hello, all worldwide,

I own a Chinese stone carving...The Goddess of the River Luo...carved from a single stone some time between 1800 and 1920. It weighs 2,200 pounds. I believe it has imperial provenance. ONe of the goddesses may be carrying a pearl.

But I cannot find someone who really knows its provenance...despite several opinions from top people. Does anyone know a world expert in Chinese stone carving? I will pay for an opinion.

Thanks,
Tom

May we have pictures? There are People watching this thread besides members, maybe someone has the info, especially if it has a photo that can be Googled.

Chinese carving

Chinese carving

I cannot get it to upload. Can I send to you as an email attachment for you to try? What email? Thanks, Tom

large baroque pearl

large baroque pearl

Hi,

What do you think of the setting for display of this pearl? I like it. A very large...I think 21mm across...baroque natural.

Best,
Tom

Attachments

• Grahl Image.jpg
    Grahl Image.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 60
Pinctada maxima

Pinctada maxima

Here is a slightly different setup with another pearl.

Tom

Attachments

• Grahl.jpg
    Grahl.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 57
Nice tributes to those pearls.

Can't wait to see what you might have planned for the Nautilus, including the possibility of magnification to allow naked eye viewing comparable to Pearl Shooter's shot.

They look great on those pedestals. The bottom one is luscious.

#1 [FONT=&quot]The Goddess of the River Luo[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She is descending from her heavenly chariot to be with the Emperor. Both know their love can never continue, so bitter-sweet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This entire piece is carved from a single piece of stone. Weighs 2,200 pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5-toe dragons, normally restricted to Imperial pieces.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One can feel the wind blowing the canopy. She has stepped out with her angels, leaving the chariot empty for her return.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Jade Carving 005a.jpg
    Jade Carving 005a.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Jade Carving 007a.jpg
    Jade Carving 007a.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Jade Carving 015a.jpg
    Jade Carving 015a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Jade Carving 016a.jpg
    Jade Carving 016a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 64
The Goddess

The Goddess

I think the Goddess is holding a pearl. It weighs more than a ton, and the stand below probably says, "The Place Where God Lives."

Because the Goddess probably is holding a pearl in her fingertips, I plunged in with these photos on this Forum.

Because experts have widely varying opinions on the age of this carving, ranging from 1798 to mid twentieth century, I am confused. So what I need is some expert who has personal experience with a similar object, who can show photos first of the object they already know, and then I will hire them to render an opinion.

So far I have taken an album of photos to the National Museum in Taiwan...the world's largest Chinese art collection; the Shanghai Museum, many auction houses, Asian art professors...and no one has seen such a carving on this large scale.

The most similar I saw was a 100 pound piece in the Taiwan Museum, dated 1780.

Any contacts anyone can give me worldwide would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tom

Attachments

• stone carving whole.jpg
    stone carving whole.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Russian Natural Pearl Dealer

Russian Natural Pearl Dealer

Hi, All,

I need to work with a Russian natural pearl trader in Moscow. Know anyone? Below is a large natural pearl in platinum and diamonds, rather shaped like an onion dome in St. Petersburg.

Best,
Tom

Attachments

• Pearl for the Mosque.jpg
    Pearl for the Mosque.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 56
Wow! I love yellow with white metal. The point gives it an art deco look. ;)

Top View

Top View

Top view of the golden pearl in platinum and diamonds, F color.

Tom

Attachments

• Pearl for the mosque top view.jpg
    Pearl for the mosque top view.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 56
I need to work with a Russian natural pearl trader in Moscow. Know anyone? Below is a large natural pearl in platinum and diamonds, rather shaped like an onion dome in St. Petersburg.
That's a perfect setting for the pearl. The lighter band underneath offers a transition from the gold to the platinum.

Looks like it is intended as a man's ring?

Has 'oligarch' written all over it?the top of the pearl might even be lethal with one well-placed punch.

GIA tells me today that they're backed up and can't accept rush orders. I guess we all know why?

I was just in the Carlsbad GIA lab on Friday and Akira Hyatt was visiting from the NYC lab. She's one of their top pearl people. How fun that they are full up on pearls! ;)

Back