Tom Stern's natural pearls

pteria penguin

pteria penguin

I have seen some very beautiful pearls from pteria penguin. The color is unique in the natural pearl world. Like Tom I would prefer a more attractive color call from GIA on their certs. The color brown is often used which by description doesn't do the pearl justice. This species often produces beautiful orient with colors of pink and green.

We own shell jewelry from P. Penguin and it is the green glow along the black edge that fascinates above all. JMarcus, awaiting your images!

P. Penguin (?)

P. Penguin (?)

Here are some photo's of my pearl. Honestly, I don't know for sure what it is besides being a pearl. I bought it online from a lady in G.B. who trades in collectible shells from the Philipines. What she stated was that it is from Pteria Penguin and that it is natural. I've not had it tested or certified in any way. It's dimensions are: 16.8mm X 11.7mm X 8.0mm. My carat scale is out of whack at the moment but as near as I can tell it weighs almost exactly 2 gm. (10ct.). It has some interesting patterns in the nacre. I think that they should show up in the pictures. The nacre appears "stepped" in that there seem to be some areas where, within a small space it jumps down smoothly to the next layer. The color could be described as brown but to me it seems to be much more accurately described as bronze, with metallic overtones and undertones of green, pink, lavendar and even a little blue. It's tone is also what I would call "elusive" with the saturation and darkness changing with the angle it is viewed from. It does shade from bronze to an irridescent almost-white from one end to the other on the "top" side.

J. Marcus
http://www. flyrodjewelry.com/home.html

Attachments

• PPeng Bottm-3.jpg
    PPeng Bottm-3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 76
  • PPeng top-2.jpg
    PPeng top-2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 55
  • PPeng top-1.jpg
    PPeng top-1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 57
That is indeed one gorgeous pearl! And a perfect size for something very special. Both sides are amazing, and the way the colors change------ captivating!!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

From shells and mab?s we have seen the colors are right for Pteria Penguin, and it looks to be natural as claimed. Hope to see it when we eventually get by to meet. Thanks for posting.

Legitimate Sultan of Sulu

Legitimate Sultan of Sulu

Well, it is interesting that according to this Sultan, the Sultan who gave you your title is an imposter.

http://www.royalsulu.com/genealogy.htm

Slraep

Hi Slraep,

I am a native of Sulu and from the land of Sultan Esmail Kiram II he is the legitimate Sultan of Sulu and all the rest are just a dreamer. Infact HRH Sultan Esmail Kiram II is receiving annual rental payment of Sabah from the Malaysian government. And the website you refer in this forum was designed by Dutch man to confuse people. Datu Fuad is the cousin of Sultan Esmail Kiram II.

I read from the Philippine daily Iquirer news paper Dr. Tom was adopted by Sultan Esmail and give him a title of Datu Bandahala (Prince).This white man is well recognized in Sulu archipelago and in Sabah because he help a lot of Sultan constituents. When you have a plan to travel Sulu archipelago better consult him.

That is true Datu Tom can give you royal invitation by his order and a security. I hope I can also meet this Datu someday so that I can also go with you guys diving who knows we will find pearl:D but you have to very extra careful not from Abu Sayyaf or Jimaa Islamiya but from Shark becasue all Shark species are here.

Sorry I am late to this comment.

Happy weekened to everybody.

Fai

Fai,

Thanks for your interesting comments about Dr. Tom's title and position in Sulu. Some of us from this Forum were fortunate to meet him and his beautiful wife, and admire and photograph his pearls at Tucson Gem Show in Feb 2008. We (Caitlin and I) found out more about his humanitarian efforts, too, and I certainly would say, title or not, Dr. Tom is one prince of a guy.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

2nd International Pearl Convention

2nd International Pearl Convention

Last year I missed the 1st International Pearl Convention in Dubai in November. Does anyone know if there will be a second event this year? I've emailed organizers of the first with no response. If such an event occurs, I plan to display my complete collection of certified naturals.

Tom Stern,MD

Hi, I'm going to send Caitlin a few photos of some Atrina vexillium, or vexillum, depending upon the reference. About 20 carats, worked according to GIA, but I'm not finding much about this particular type of pearl in any book. So I would appreciate information. One of them has an area of intense "peacock irridescence" which must be nacreous, while the majority of the surface appears only porcelaneous. Photo to follow.

Pearl-guide identifies Atrina v. as coming from the Americas, but I am certain these came from near Borneo.

Tom Stern,MD

Last edited:

From t stern's collection

This is a 21mm B+ quality natural Pinctada maxima I had mounted in 18 and 22K gold for my wife, with some diamonds for glitter. I would rank it higher, but for the ding on its surface. Tom Stern,MD

Attachments

• p max jpeg.JPG
    p max jpeg.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 67
You have got the natural pearl disease- BAD case of it!

That pearl is magnificent! I love the setting too. Perfect for the pearl!

Very very classically gorgeous! Yolanda will be spectacular in this one!!!

Tridacna with fish inside

Tridacna with fish inside

Hi,

GIA looked at this Tridacna gigas pearl with their digital micro-xray and said there are the bones of an animal inside as the nidus. It was the only time they have ever seen such a phenomenon. I'll try to get a copy of their image of what looks like a fish inside.

It is about 2.5 inches long. I was in GIA Bangkok and saw the image with my own eyes...vertebrae, gill structures, outline of a head. From the outside it doesn't look like much, but with the right imaging, it is fascinating.

Tom Stern,MD

Attachments

• Yolanda Pearl Photos July 08 002.jpg
    Yolanda Pearl Photos July 08 002.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 63
Wow! I can't wait to see the image. That must have been a big surprise. ;)

Dr. Tom,

That is the most amazing thing!!! I can't wait to see the xray! That should be in the pearl books!

Hey you did it! You put up a picture! Not that I mind doing it, I love to, but it's good to learn a whole new skill set.

Now, don't tell me your son did it!

Back