The Making of Mikimoto Pearls?

If you want a strand that will stand up to daily wear for a generation, it's better to find a really good strand of freshwater pearls. Nothing beats solid nacre for wearability. ;)

Hi Wayne, I agree that the top-of-the line Mikimoto Akoya pearls (they have their own grading system, so I am talking about their top grade) is amazing, and has an even better, more iridescent luster, than the AAA Akoya pearls I sell -- which I think are quite gorgeous.

I have seen Mikimoto's top grade in fine jewelry stores such as Goldstein & Swank in Central Massachusetts, where I live, but Mikimoto also sells lower grade Akoya pearls under their name through the concession jewelry counter at Macy's. When I looked at the pearls my local Macy's was selling under the Mikimoto name, I thought they were quite ordinary.

Jeremy's comments are well-taken -- Mikimoto's buying power allows them to buy the very best of the best lots directly from pearl farms in the Pacific Rim. I spoke directly to Mikimoto reps when I was getting into the business, and they confirmed that they have several grades that they sell through their stores and various approved dealers. These range from that incredible grade you clearly have seen, to lesser grades with a soft, or hazy luster that I think is just OK - maybe what I would call AA.

The folks I spoke to at Mikimoto told me that the grade of Mikimoto I might be allowed to buy at their wholesale rates, and re-sell, would depend on the quality of other items I might have at my store, such as designer watches, diamond jewelry, and brand name jewelry. They explained that they position their jewelry with care, and when they found out that I sell only through the internet and only at prices well below suggested retail, they said they could not offer me any wholesale prices.

They were very gracious about it, though. :)

So, now I do business with other pearl farmers and dealers who supply my business with gorgeous, AAA pearl jewelry, and who are fair and pleasant in their dealings with me. But I still love to admire the Mikimotos when I'm out scouting the brick-and-mortar competition. Maybe I'll have to buy some Hanadamas from my current suppliers to feed my passion for these miraculous gems...

Last edited:
Back