The Heart of the Lagoon

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the uplifting responses! I'll try to answer questions in order.
There are also several pearls in the photo that are second grafts, thus the bigger sizes.
There's one little pearl just to the left of the Heart that is fairly pitted but absolutely nuts in terms of color and luster. The pearls in the photo are all very special ones that were selected for their color and luster. They don't represent an average harvest too well.

Nathan and Salem, it's for sale, for sure. I hope to be able to hold on to exceptional pieces soon, but I don't yet have the luxury. The cool thing is that one pearl like that can be instrumental in producing a whole bunch of the little ones surrounding it. And little pearls like those can potentially, one day, turn into BIG ones too.
Olga, it's actually slightly two toned. Right in the middle it's divided between a pure white and a light cream color.
Kelluv, no we don't harvest very many white pearls. A quality production of Tahitian pearls will always typically have few white ones. White ones can obviously be of as high quality as darks though.
Ana, it's impossible to know what nucleus is at the center because after a certain thickness, the X-ray machine at export control here can no longer read it through the layers of nacre. I'm guessing though that the nucleus is around 12mm in diameter.
DK, Effisk and Pearl_Dreams I agree with you guys but there is something undeniably wonderful about feeling the WEIGHT of a large pearl in your hand. No matter how amazing a small pearl is, it's pow factor is limited. I don't need a pow factor and the 9.5mm pearl I'm wearing around my neck reflects that but I understand those that do.
Barbie, sounds good. I'll call Penelope and Halle and see if they are interested in the part.

Josh, I am so happy for you. It must have been a wonderful feeling when whoever opened up that oyster and saw the Heart for the first time. Was it you?
Did you re-graft?

DK, Effisk and Pearl_Dreams I agree with you guys but there is something undeniably wonderful about feeling the WEIGHT of a large pearl in your hand. No matter how amazing a small pearl is, it's pow factor is limited. I don't need a pow factor and the 9.5mm pearl I'm wearing around my neck reflects that but I understand those that do.

I agree with you about what a large pearl can offer in terms of pow factor, hence I am after a 20mm+ South Sea Baroque as a pendant! :D

DK :)

Awesome. I don't need a pow factor and the 9.5mm pearl I'm wearing around my neck reflects that but I understand those that do.

I understand this completely. It actually interferes with my willingness and ability to collect.
barbie

Can you actually return an oyster to the water after it has produced something that big? Seems like opening it up for that would break it or something.
Guess I should go out to the farm for a visit huh?
barbie

Gorgeous pearl, Josh - I like Jen's thought of it being a talisman.. all of the others are breathtaking, too. So harvest has been good?

Last edited:
My goodness Josh, that pearl deserves its own apartment! lol, btw how did you get a white pearl? which species did it come from? Not pinctada margaritifera?

My goodness Josh, that pearl deserves its own apartment! lol, btw how did you get a white pearl? which species did it come from? Not pinctada margaritifera?
P margaritifera sometime produces whitish to white pearls.

hmmm, thanks effisk
back to the books for more research
btw - I ordered Elizabeth Strack's pearl book and can hardly wait
and - I just discovered that I have a natural pearl in my antique jewelry collection!
(small but natural nonetheless!)

Josh, thank you so much for sharing this...Wow! Do you think it's one of the largest pearls in the world this beautiful? If an Arab Sheik contacted you and said name your price, what would you say?

So... this isn't sold a few times over already? Hard to believe...

Amazing colors! That photo feels really Christmas-y -- I can practically *smell* the pine needles. It's probably because those pearls have such unreal iridescence.

How wonderful!
CarolK

Holy wow Josh! I think I'm in love with the Heart of the Lagoon.

Can I write a book about it? It'll be about a young pirate who is searching the world for a pearl he has in his mind. He learns all kinds of martial arts (hence the term 'foot') and then he finds it!! The perfect pearl. And the fight is on! In the ensuing drama, he turns green. Becomes the protector of pearls. Learns that there is a rhythm to all of life. Falls in love with a woman who wants to nurture the pearls as much or more than he doe. She helps him learn all about the pearl beds. (There has to be a love interest or the movie won't sell).
Wadda ya think so far?
barbie

O.K., here's the happy ending:

"...and the Heart of the Lagoon

finally came happily to rest

on the slightly freckled chest

of the auburn-haired tattooed mermaid..."

Happy New Year to all!

Sheri

Attachments

• HPIM1906.jpg
    HPIM1906.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 61
Sheri - that's the perfect place for this beautiful pearl.... I'm glad it came home with you.

W O W ! ! What an incredible gem to start off the New Year with -- on a hard-working gal who rightly earned every gleam of it.

It's amazing on you!!! My best congratulations!

Don't put it on a corset...it should stay on your neck.

Back