technical opinions please: metal against pearl

KP, I was only teasing. I certainly took no offense, I just thought the way you said it was funny.

My original intent was to link the individual pearls in the dangle by wire loops, so the dangle would have some movement to it. Then I thought I kind of liked the stiff, linear look of the single headpin, but I didn't intend to leave the pearls smooshed up against each other. I was going to use bead spacers like on the 3-pearl earrings - which I made thinking the dangle off the necklace would also be round:round:drop. But then I kept finding such wonderful colors! I think the darker dangle works really well with the 4 bright colors on top of the deep purple drop. The intensity of their crayola colors really builds off of each other. I was also thinking I might try leaving the round pearls on the headpin and separated by the little round beads, but then perhaps linking the drop pearl with wire loops. I know it is very OCD of me, but it irks me that the daisy doesn't sit quite level. Still, this is very much a work in progress!

BTW, I also love Sueki's enhancers but yowza! Darn that gold is expensive stuff nowadays...

I know, I have to breathe through those ill-sitting daisies too. I actually like your first idea of making a sort of cluster movement the best. That's what I was thinking of doing. But it's still in the "in my head" stages along with my bracelet(s). I need some inspiration. But with your necklace, the linear is best. You are certainly on the right track! I saw your gold and started thinking rose gold at which my credit card yelped.

I love the look of the gold balls-- the warm colors of the pearls look good with the yellow gold.

Re: crimps, I like Twisted Tornado crimps; since finding these I've stopped using other types. Info on that brand:
http://www.twistedtornadocrimp.com/

Reading glasses are not enough when I'm beading. I use an Optivisor (worn on head-- hands-free).

I love the look of the gold balls-- the warm colors of the pearls look good with the yellow gold.

Re: crimps, I like Twisted Tornado crimps; since finding these I've stopped using other types. Info on that brand:
http://www.twistedtornadocrimp.com/

Reading glasses are not enough when I'm beading. I use an Optivisor (worn on head-- hands-free).

I can highly recommend Via Murano and their Twisted Tornado crimp. Pam and Ira are wonderful people and their merchandise is all first-class. In fact, I don't crimp unless I absolutely have to, and I only use their crimp because it holds better than other crimp. ;)

Hello Boo,
For me, definitely the one on the left with the tiny gold beads. Same reason as before - they lift the pearls to classic elegance. I might even replace the daisy spacer with a slightly larger smooth gold bead.

I like to keep 2mm, 3mm and even 4mm gold-filled (and sterling silver) ball beads around and often use several different sizes in my designs.

When stringing gemstone beads, I often use 2mm round garnets as spacers. They create the same effect as knots do: they separate the beads and give great flexibility to the piece. I especially like the effect with tourmaline strands. The colors go so well together!

A softer material for a spacer bead is horn. Its honey tones complement many bead materials.

Okay - I finalized the necklace today. I went with wire and crimps because the gold beads wouldn't all slide over my knots. I am certainly hoping the crimps will hold! How do crimped necklaces usually break? I pull the wire back through a bead or two (in this case one gold bead and one pearl) so it wouldn't necessarily pull free even if the crimp did break. Hopefully if it were to break it would only loosen a bit rather than spraying precious pearls all over the room. I am only using the 7 strand Beadalon - should that be a concern? I put a gold bead between the last pearls and the crimp because the edges of the crimp seemed sharp, but perhaps it makes the distance between the last pearl and the clasp too great? I would appreciate any and all thoughts...

BTW - my first time using gimp! I used it on the wire on the necklace - which never would have occurred to me without silverseajewelry's post earlier today in the thread thread - and on the PowerPro on the bracelet (where I used just a single strand of the 20lb size so the darned beads would fit). I need to refine my technique, but I think it looks passable. The bracelet was a pleasant surprise. I had to fill it out just a bit with some offround lavenders I had sitting around, but I think they fit in well enough... Also, the dangle ended up working very well. Sueki, I took your advice about using a 3mm for the teardrop. It is attached to a jump ring that slides very freely on the clasp, so there is a fair amount of movement even though the body of the dangle is rigid. Overall, I am very pleased with how it turned out :D

Attachments

• IMG_1950-2.jpg
    IMG_1950-2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1937-1.jpg
    IMG_1937-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 59
Excellent! Couldn't be more beautiful. Is the pearl in the middle of the dangle green? It looks like it from here. Jeremy, here's another reason to include paper towels with each order, to wipe away the drool!

Thanks everyone! I just love it. Jeremy: thank you, thank you, thank you for the opportunity to have such amazing pearls. What a blast to go from the images floating about in my mind as I anxiously awaited the offer to opening my package and seeing the pearls for the first time, sorting them out, assembling them, getting such useful feedback from all the wonderful members of the forum, and finally ending up with such an incredible piece of jewelry! I can't wait to see what everybody else does :D

Hi Debbie
and congratulations on a very fine jewelry piece (or pieces, rather).:) I like the dangle with the round gold beads very much, simple and very elegant together with the toggle up front! If I have enough pearls I think I will do the same design as it is just so chic, as we say over here.

The bracelet does look very nice, it will be interesting to hear if the crimp is holding well. I have no experience at all with 7-strand wire, I?ll wait for reports from our members.

Wear it with pride!:):)

About the 7 ply wire-- I have used it with flat stone tourmaline slices that had tiny holes and I didn't have a problem with it-- it was Softflex.

boo

boo

Hi Boo,
I don't bead and I have no idea what everyone is talking about...wire, gimps, etc. But I love your creation... so creative. I like the dangle on the left the most, with the tiny beads and no daisies. Thanks for sharing.:)

Boo:
I'm so happy that we PG'rs can go back from time to time and review what gorgeous work has been done with all these great pearls. Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.
barbie

Back